Reviews for Strange Gifts
GothicHobbit08 chapter 10 . 12/24/2008
? Sad! I mean... of course Estel ends up with Arwen, but... Elrond is justified in not approving of (or just not recognizing the legitimacy of) Glorfindel's feelings for Estel in that Estel is supposed to be his student... and I totally understand why he thinks it's important for Estel to produce an heir... but it kinda makes me not like this Elrond when he says something to the effect that he thinks Glorfindel's homosexuality is something bad or corrupt. *frowns at Elrond disapprovingly*

Anyway... as far as stories go, I liked it. I like the way you incorporated your knowledge of the Silmarillion into the story. It gives it some depth. And of course the Elves would believe in a well-rounded, liberal-arts-ish education :) so it makes a lot of sense.
CosmicEssence chapter 10 . 11/17/2008
ack...you know i 'd have much prefered you take this into the realms of AU (i mean fully you know?). It was good, had its moments and you deffo played each part quite well, even the history from what i remember off hand but at the same time I must admit that i did not particularly like it. Oh i liked it enough to continue reading, just to see where you would take it, but beyond that not too much.

At the end the only thing that came to mind 'is that it?' Poor Glorfindel...how could you do that to him huh?
Thorongirl chapter 9 . 9/15/2008
So lyrical and lovely! I know that's not much of a review, but I like to at least leave a little bit of encouragement. Seriously, you have marvelous writing ability. Everything you write tells me how much you love your subject.
Thorongirl chapter 8 . 7/14/2008
Excellent insight as usual. You astonish me with your writing. I liked the realistic way Glorfindel bridles at what he considers to be Estel's flippant remarks and how that puts a damper on his amorous thoughts. Well done indeed.
lostinterestsorry chapter 8 . 7/4/2008
Some wonderful flirtatious moments there. And the ending, haha. Poor Estel. You really weave a spell with your writing.
lostinterestsorry chapter 7 . 7/4/2008
Such a lovely story. I can't believe how 'possible' you've made this all seem and I was sad to see it end at chapter 10. But you've got a sequel so I'm happy about that. Beautiful writing. A summer night makes everyone more 'alive', doesn't it?
lostinterestsorry chapter 6 . 6/30/2008
You have a talent for making this whole scenario completely plausible. I also like Glorfindel's being troubled at his own reaction to Estel and his realization of how propriety must rule the day. FANTASTIC story and if I already said that, sorry. But tis true.
AC2 chapter 10 . 6/29/2008
Is there to be more of this? If you ended it here, it would work, but Glorfindel must come back to Rivendell if you are going to keep this on canon.

Amazingly, you DID keep this on canon. You have also brought Arwen into the story believably, and have rendered the mutual desire of Glorfindel for the lad in a way that allows Estel the get-out clause of emotional need for acceptance from his tutor and the compare-and-contrast curiosity of youth. Most of us go through a same-sex crush stage - it's a part of growing up.

This is astonishingly good, completely realistic, and deserving of the praise it gets.

Nitpicks:

As the first light before dawn drew a grey line above the Hithaeglir, he wept bitterly, for shame at his desire, for Estel, so nearly marred for Ecthelion, whom he had lost, and for himself, for he had not chosen to be different in his inclination to the rest of the Eldar. But it seemed his doom now was to be alone until the end of all things.

Correction:

As the first light before dawn drew a grey line above the Hithaeglir, he wept bitterly for shame at his desire; for Estel, so nearly marred; for Ecthelion, whom he had lost, and for himself, for he had not chosen to be different in his inclination to the rest of the Eldar. But it seemed his doom now was to be alone until the end of all things.

Dang! I feel so sorry for Glorfindel in his well of loneliness for the love that cannot speak its name. ;)
AC2 chapter 9 . 6/29/2008
Another fine piece of work - the revelation from Gandalf that all have their place in the Music is a timely reminder of the evils of homophobia. Am pleased that you put this lovely scene in here. It dovetails nicely with the other chapters, which deal with the duty of a person to control himself, whatever he feels, for the good of the young and inexperienced - otherwise, the "love" would really be a case of taking advantage of someone. This is a beautiful tale of forbidden unrequited love, and it has touched me in a way that few tales have. I really, really love this story.
AC2 chapter 8 . 6/29/2008
So Glorfindel can get drunk and suffer not, but Estel gets one mother of a hangover! Excellent chapter yet again, and am pleased with your sensitive handling of this subject. Glorfindel wants to try a taste of Estel, but only if the lad makes the first move. Then he speaks of mountains on the moon, committing blasphemy, to Glorfindel's mind, and putting him off his stroke, as it were. Excellent, excellent work!
AC2 chapter 7 . 6/29/2008
This is a pretty scene, reminiscent of the Elvenking with his crown of flowers. I like the way you tied that in. The bitter-sweetness of the tale of Celebrian mingled with summer frolics and Glorfindel's self-control are lovely to behold.

The angst in here is something Epi would appreciate - I'm going to recommend it to her.
AC2 chapter 6 . 6/29/2008
Another good chapter. You write sensuality well, and the long slow yearning of Glorfindel's forbidden passion. This is starting to read like Adam and Eve - you just KNOW Glorfindel is going to cross the line and get kicked out - or is he?

I don't like slash as a rule, but this is the good stuff that ends up on my favourites list because it is beautiful and well-written.

Nitpicks:

He crossed the uneven wooden floor, stepping in hollows worn by centuries of feet, and sat down beside him smiling at Estel's serious expression.

Correction:

He crossed the uneven wooden floor, stepping in hollows worn by centuries of footfalls, and sat down beside Estel, smiling at his serious expression.

Discomforted, he gently he pulled away, as if shifting to a more comfortable position. Then he found himself entranced by the boy's profile, while he waited for him to finish each page.

Discomfited, he gently he pulled away as if shifting to a more comfortable position. Then he found himself entranced by the boy's profile while he waited for him to finish each page.

Estel bid them goodnight with courteous words, and hurried off.

Estel bade them goodnight with courteous words and hurried off.
AC2 chapter 5 . 6/29/2008
...and so the forbidden fruit aspect of the story kicks in. This is brilliantly done, and spork-proof, because you are showing that Glorfindel knows what a breach of trust it would be to take advantage of the kid, all the while getting a secret kick out of touching the lad when he can.

This is a guilty pleasure of a story - it's like eating all of the Haagen Daz from the big tub when you were only meant to take a spoonful.
AC2 chapter 4 . 6/29/2008
You write the Twins well, giving them reasons for what they do. Am surprised you had Celebrian die instead of sailing, but then I have often thought she might not have made it to Aman. The bath house scene belongs in this fic because it gives Glorfindel a chance to show his family side - he's not some pervy uncle lusting after young flesh - he's a rounded person who loves and cares for other people. Am glad you put this lovely scene in here.

The dropped paragraphs and missing punctuation continue to show - it might be worth getting a nitpicker to check for these before you post your stories - am so prone to them myself I refuse to post before my beta has approved my work.
AC2 chapter 3 . 6/29/2008
Nice flow again, and the references to Silm events are perfectly in place, as they give context to Glorfindel's character and his interactions with Estel. The fact that you have Glorfindel reacting to Estel's insensitivity with shock and horror show that you are aware that he shouldn't treat the subjects he speaks of the way he does. You have made him an awkward youth with a lot to learn, which is appropriate for what you are doing. Glorfindel seems believable as an ancient Elf.

Estel's belief that he is a bastard son of Elrond seems natural, as does Elrond's rather complex reasons for fostering and lovign the boy.

The flashback towards the end is attention-grabbing, and so sudden and well-described I felt like I was there in Gondolin. It seems that Glorfindel is gay, and always has been, and his gayness is believable - he's not acting like a girl, he's acting like a gay... Elf. He's definitely not a man, he is believable as an Elf.

Nitpicks - dropped paragraphs and missing punctuation. Stuff like this:

"People have said that to me before, and I haven't believed them. Why does my mother not speak of him?"

"I have not met your mother, but maybe she still grieves for him, and it pains her to speak of him," improvised Glorfindel. He was just wondering how to change the subject when Estel said,

"Will you tell me about your fight with the Balrog?"

Correction:

"I'm afraid that it is not true. I knew your father." Arathorn too had spent his childhood and youth in Imladris, and Glorfindel had known him well. "He was a man of your people, and a good and admirable man. Elrond fosters you for his sake." Well, at least that was partly true. Glorfindel thought, looking at Estel's crestfallen face, and thinking of how complicated Elrond's motives really were.

He was just wondering how to change the subject when Estel said, "Will you tell me about your fight with the Balrog?"

Hope you don't find my nitpicking annoying.