Reviews for Dessert to Die For
callensensei chapter 9 . 5/3/2009
Your comic dreams are priceless! Gilligan accidentally blows up the whole world!

Then the tone suddenly shifts and becomes serious with the storm in the background and Gilligan and the Skipper's emotional reunion. Again, you keep the emotions tightly in equipoise so things are moving, never mushy.

And things are still funny! "Somebody in your condition should be lying down." That's Gilligan, all right!

Things are getting more dire still by the end, with a sudden turn in the AU direction. Nobody ever got seriously hurt on Gilligan's Island. Ep! Hang on, Gilligan!
callensensei chapter 8 . 5/2/2009
Aw!

There were ninety and nine that safely lay

in the shelter of the fold

but one was out on the hills away

far from the gates of gold...

There's something hauntingly familiar about the end of this scene, as the Skipper strides out into the darkness and the storm in search of his little buddy.

You have the Skipper spot-on here, first furious with the others for not looking for Gilligan, then remorseful when he's realized he's misjudged them, then determined to find his friend. His anxious rhetorical questions are exactly the kind of things he would think. "Would he [Gilligan] hurt himself?" Well, that's what the Skipper suspected in "Water, Water Everywhere," and this is a much bigger reason.

Additionally, you build the reader's anticipation by keeping the Skipper in the dark for such a very long time.

I like the idea of the Skipper knowing about one of Gilligan's supposedly secret caves. Gives a nice father-son touch.

I wish they had filmed this!
callensensei chapter 7 . 5/1/2009
The Howells are laugh-a-minute here, nicely balancing the tension from the impending typhoon and the emotion of the previous chapter. You also capture Thurston's kind heart when he shows genuine worry at Gilligan's disappearance.

Ah, Mary Ann's always the one who finds the note, isn't she? Maybe she's the one most likely to go to the supply hut to get supplies to work with!

I'm still trying to figure out how the Skipper ate his breakfast in a hammock. Oh well, I guess if you're determined enough!

Good plotting here too, with the reader anxiously wondering what's become of Gilligan, and the typhoon approaching!
callensensei chapter 6 . 4/29/2009
Talk about a dark night of the soul! The lonely, cold, claustrophobic cave itself is a wonderful metaphor for Gilligan's guilt. This was moving without being maudlin. Well done.
callensensei chapter 5 . 4/25/2009
Whoa! This made the angst in "It's Magic" look like a walk in the park!

Some very clever plotting here in how Gilligan gets the wrong idea about the berries, and the Skipper's very natural reaction ads to the angst. Ginger seems a bit on the harsh side - more like the original Ginger in the pilot, actually - but at least this time Mary Ann does come to Gilligan's defense, even if he doesn't get to hear it. And both of the girls' references were entirely canonical.

I'll use that word again: what a poignant ending line! Time to swallow the lump in my throat and keep reading!
callensensei chapter 4 . 4/24/2009
This was brilliant! You manage to make the scene terrifying and hilarious at the same time by the juxtaposing of your thrilling descriptions and the spot-on, wackily absurd reactions of the passengers. The sweet, subtle MAG moment and the Skipper's reaction to Gilligan's fate lends an unexpected poignancy to the end of the dream sequence. I would love to have seen them film this!
callensensei chapter 3 . 4/23/2009
The "Gilligan and Skipper in the hut" scenes were the heart of the show, and this is a great one. Love the moment where the Skipper has forgotten their anniversary (you're a lot more married than you think, Gilligan!) and Gilligan replies with "at your age..." Loved the Ginger innuendo joke too. I wish they'd used it on the show.
callensensei chapter 2 . 4/22/2009
The MAG here is subtle and unforced, just as it was in the show. The business of the feather gift fits both characters' innocence.

"Oh, it's an anniversary present!" "Don't be gross, Mary Ann!" LOL! The gentle teasing works well for their relationship too.

Yes, Mary Ann must have had a brick oven somewhere. I wish we could have seen it just once on the show!
callensensei chapter 1 . 4/21/2009
This is my very favourite kind of fanfic: the kind that reads like a true pastiche of the original series. The kind where the reader says, "Wow? Did I miss an episode? And what a great episode?"

You bring us right in the teaser with the potential mixup, and it's a mixup that fits the characters and genre of Gilligan's Island perfectly. The little character revelations are funny and believable: Ginger rolling her eyes at another scientific lecture and Gilligan belatedly realizing the feather wouldn't be the greatest present for the Skipper (that's a scene I would have loved. I can just see Alan Hale's slow pan into the camera.)

Your style is crisp and clear, driving the story along at just the right pace. Looking forward to a great read!
Skymouth chapter 16 . 3/13/2009
Told you in Deviantart I was gonna read this, so here's my review!

Oh my! I never expected to cry during a Gilligan fic, but this one sure made it happen! More then once! The whole misunderstanding and then when everything was in limbo when they weren't sure if Gilligan was going to make it... you wrote that wonderfully well! I loved Skipper's reactions to everything. You got everyone down pretty dang pat, in my opinion! And still you made it end like a typical Gilligan episode! Too frigging awesome! I hope you do more angsty/hurt/comfort fic with Gilligan and Skipper! Best I've read yet! Keep it up! Please?
LADYMALLARD chapter 16 . 3/1/2009
Hi there, I 've just spent the last few hr.s reading a wonderful story, based on one of my very favorite shows, you've done an outstanding job. It was like I could hear all the voices in my head and imagine everything too. Like watching a movie length episode, with all the humor angst and especially the suspence over Gilligan's recovery from his ingurys. Everything was perfectly done. That's why I couldn't go to bed, without finishing it and letting you know how great I thought the story was. You must be a real fan too, because you had all the characters personalitys down perfect. I look forward to reading more of your storys and would like to envite you to read my first story, if you would like to. It's a cartoon crossover, I'd be interested in your opinion, being more expert at Fan Fiction writing. Anyway, well done all the way around. I'm adding you to my Favs, and look forward to your next storys. Happy writing.
smartyjonescrzy chapter 16 . 6/21/2008
Yay! That was wonderful! You deserve all the commendation! I felt like I was really watching an episode of Gilligan's Island! Everything was spot on, and I really enjoyed it! Please write more, you're wonderful at it! :)
Jaaveccheveux chapter 16 . 5/12/2008
Awsome story! Best GI fic I've read :D I really love the angst and all... :D
deeply-spaced chapter 16 . 2/28/2008
This is fantastic! You are SO talented! I love your writing style. The Professor is my fave character. Any chance you might write a story revolving around him? I love hurt/comfort and you write it so well. Thank you for a wonderful story about characters I've known and loved all my life.
KCS chapter 16 . 1/15/2008
Yes, you'd better not kill off Gilligan!

That's the absolute best GI fic I've ever read. Wow. It should have been an episode.

And the Skipper and Gilligan are like one of my all-time favorite duos. Nicely done indeed!
81 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »