Reviews for Comes the moment to decide
Stoneage Woman chapter 5 . 9/23/2007
Lovely; short, but still pretty powerful. These short mini-stories of yours are beginning to grow on me.
demeter d chapter 5 . 9/20/2007
Indeed, a treacherous man would have left his rival to die. Funny that the advisors are trying to remind a young man who has been a lifelong student of history of his family's history. And, "he already holds sway over my Uncle Imrahil". As if someone acknowledged as a ruler and a warrior, as Imrahil had been, could be just taken in by some pretender. Your description of the lords reminds me of Tolkien's comment that the nobility of Gondor had more interest in their obscure past than securing a future for their sons. Well written picture here.
demeter d chapter 4 . 9/20/2007
This is lovely. I do like it every bit as much as the piece in "The Falcon and the Star." And just at the last, when the both are so weary, the athelas from the "Real World" wafts into the shadow world and brings them the rest of the way home. I like the reference from Isaiah, and the Tolkien quotes at the end tie it up nicely. Oh, in a debate of long stories versus short, I have enjoyed both, but lately I have less computer and reading time. I have read more short ones, lately!
Raksha The Demon chapter 2 . 8/2/2007
Don't leave him there, Imrahil! Brother-in-law is not himself, and needs a straitjacket, not custody of his unconscious son.

Well, we all know how that turned out.

The scene with Imrahil and Elphir was a heart-rending foil to Denethor's cold, cruel dismissal of Faramir.

I think I'll go write an AU fanfic where Denethor is a doting father to both his sons and pulls out Faramir's baby pictures to show everyone, even Pippin, because Faramir was an even cuter baby than Boromir...
Raksha The Demon chapter 4 . 8/2/2007
A powerful chapter. I liked the black sun, and the maze of thorns. And Aragorn's biblical reference was great!

I'm not sure that it would have been possible to write the chapter properly without the two Tolkien quotes; which end it so well.

And thanx for mentioning my story!
Sarahbarr17 chapter 5 . 8/1/2007
An excellent epilogue. I have always wondered if their was any debate surrounding Aragorn's assent to power. Faramir was quite clever in getting the universal assent of the people before letting Aragorn enter the city - no lord can protect against the will of the people!

Sarah x

PS. I hope to see another chapter of 'A Time to Reap' soon!
Stoneage Woman chapter 5 . 8/1/2007
I'm too lazy to login. Suffice it to say, this was another wonderful chapter. I loved the bit where Faramir just listens to the others' stupidty with silent irritation. Very Faramir, to be so measured and diplomatic. I wish you'd included the council's reaction to Faramir's statement, though, as that would have been very dramatic and possibly even humorous. But it was a great chapter nonetheless. Update A Time to Reap soon!
Larner chapter 5 . 8/1/2007
A good ending indeed, Linda Rose. I grieve for the lords who would think to deny the return of the King and who would think to manipulate Faramir. Alas for their foolishness.

I've noted a marked drop in reviews on all sides lately-I doubt the problem is as much unpopularity of the subject as distractions from outside. Don't sweat it.

Am looking forward to whatever you choose to write next.
Estelcontar chapter 5 . 7/31/2007
No wonder people call Faramir wise. The was a very good ending very a very good story.

NinielB chapter 5 . 7/31/2007
Hello, I saw your comment about this being your least liked story and I just wanted to say, I think there are a lot of people reading it who do not comment. I don't know why, but somehow reviewing longer stories are easier than reviewing short ones. I just want to let you know, I am still reading practically anything that comes from you, though I have to say I do prefer longer stories to shorter ones (more to read, more to look forward to)
Raksha The Demon chapter 5 . 7/30/2007
A strong finish to an interesting story. Faramir had a lot to put up with and a difficult decision to make; but of course and as usual, he showed his quality.
Ocne chapter 5 . 7/30/2007
Hi! I almost don't read LOTR stories any more, but I did read this one. Well, Faramir is my favorite character. Have always been, and I appreciate your writing skills and the emotions that you put in this story. It is one of your least popular? But it is the one story by you that I prefer. What do readers prefer? Hmm, does it matter? I mean really? Could you write something that you know people would probably like but that holds no interest to you?

Thank you for sharing!

JuliaAurelia chapter 5 . 7/30/2007
Excellent ending-I loved Faramir's final speech. Though that "council" needs to be kicked to the curb ASAP!
AC2 chapter 5 . 7/30/2007
I like the way that, although you haven't even read the reviews I have given you yet, you have broken away from the books, stuck your neck out and imagined what it would have been like to be Faramir explaining to his council why he is giving the crown to Aragorn and accepting him as king.

Only fault (apart from the aforementioned) I can find is this: This appears to be my least popular story .What do readers prefer? (Sic)

It's more subtle than "Please review - will bake you cookies if you do," but it is one of those. I know how you feel, but don't ask for reviews or ego strokes. 'Tis undignified.

Right, that's it, end of. I hope you don't feel picked on: the purpose of this was to be constructive, not offensive. I hope you found it helpful. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
AC2 chapter 4 . 7/30/2007
I LIKE this! A description of Limbo - a state between this life and the next. Very good. You have a couple of typos here... Man, I do like your ideas!

The only major fault I can find, without repeating myself, is that you are quoting too much from the books - a habit I had before a friend talked me out of it. You need to be more confident about breaking away from the books, and allowing yourself to believe that we have read them too. Mind you, it is true that a lot of us have not, but still...

Just imagine how much of the story would remain if you removed all the quotes from the books. I had to accept that criticism too, and it was hard because I was afraid to let go of the Professor's (Tolkien's) hand, but I realised that it was my story I wanted to tell, not a Wendy-fied version of his. It was SO HARD! You actually need fewer reference points than you think.
68 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »