Reviews for Comes the moment to decide
AC2 chapter 3 . 7/30/2007
Ah, very good, Denethor's introspection, and a glimpse at his motivations as he prepares to die with Minas Tirith as his funeral pyre: he's jealous. He is jealous of his son's supposed switch of allegiance to "Thorongil" and of his father's apparent preference for the man. While we're on the subject, thanks for not referring to Men as "human." 'Tis inappropriate in a Tolkien fic.

Erm, many of your paragraphs could be joined together. In fact, the first five certainly should have been. You only need to start another paragraph when something else is taking place. All of those paragraphs were about Denethor bewailing his son's fall, both from his own affections and from life itself. Do not be afraid to write long paragraphs. Too many short ones are not easy on the eyes. You are better with your presentation than other writers I have seen lately, but I'd like to persuade people to put an end to this trend of short paragraphs. Now, as you read through this paragraph, you will see that there are seven ideas in it. And I kept them all together in the same paragraph.
AC2 chapter 2 . 7/30/2007
Another good chapter, and pleasant to read. I'm not having a go here, but a bit more detail re: Faramir's thoughts and feelings as he went into battle - this just glosses over the actual fighting, and even the aftermath, when Imrahil brings him back, is a bit shallow. However, your spelling and grammar are good and you have a few ideas about Faramir's feelings towards his father that catch my attention and show me a bit of your potential.

What I want to see is the effect of Faramir's grief and wishful thinking on his management of the battle, not to mention the physical effects of the whipping. A bit of Denethor's POV would not have gone amiss.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I mean to be constructive.

Oh, another thing you do well - you don't have that annoying habit of putting in redundant notes. Thank you for that.

Erm, have you been to the Furnace forum yet? You will find great advice about battle scenes and other aspects of storytelling and writing there.
acacia59601 chapter 5 . 7/30/2007
Wonderful little story! I could only wish it had been longer and a little more detailed, but it was still really good!
AC2 chapter 1 . 7/30/2007
Hello Linda,

I like your ideas, and after a week of battling insolent Suethors, this is a blessed relief. Nice job!
Estelcontar chapter 4 . 7/26/2007
Linda, I really enjoyed this chapter, and your self-sacrificing Aragorn. It's a facet of him I admire much.

Estelcontar
big mean sam chapter 1 . 7/20/2007
(stands in front of tiny pippin and looks down at him. He is at least 3 feet taller.)

YOU ATE MY MUSHROOMS! (BOOM)Pounds Pippin.
Stoneage Woman chapter 4 . 7/20/2007
Fantastic chapter! It was a great idea to elaborate on that scene in the Houses of Healing, which is my favorite chapter in te triology. Loved your depiction of Faramir's mind as well as his thoughts about dying. Well done. When are you going to update "A Time to Reap"?
Sarahbarr17 chapter 4 . 7/20/2007
Very well written.

Very good indeed!

Sarah x
Larner chapter 4 . 7/20/2007
Yes, the call of the King has brought him back-back to fulfillment, love, joy, the marriage he'd sought...
Larner chapter 3 . 7/20/2007
Alas-he has been cozened and his heart poisoned by looking too often into the sphere with one of its kind in the hands of Saruman and the other in those of Sauron. And he truly believes that Boromir would not have bowed down in the end? Perhaps not-but perhaps he might have-he traveled with Aragorn, after all, and had an excellent appreciation of what the Man was capable of.
Celebne chapter 4 . 7/20/2007
Great chapter again! Faramir returns into life and his first meeting with Aragorn is described wonderfully. Now the base is created for a great friendship.
acacia59601 chapter 4 . 7/19/2007
Wow, great chapter, and I do see the similarities with Raksha's story too. But it stands well on it's own too, so there isn't a problem. Update soon, I love your stories!
JuliaAurelia chapter 4 . 7/19/2007
Ah, beautiful! I always love these Aragorn-heals-Faramir scenes.
Stoneage Woman chapter 3 . 7/17/2007
You didn't receive a comment from me because I never got around to reading your update. I got caught up in gossipping with the other girls who here, LOL.

We're studying Victorian literature this year- Hard Times, Mill on the Floss, Pride and Prejudice, and Jane Eyre. There's also some poetry and some Indian literature. You're right, college is fun. I'm having a real blast. The only drawback is the heat, which is terrible. Luckily the hostel is equipped with coolers. It's only outside the hostel, on the roads and in college that we really feel the heat.

This chapter was great. I loved the glimpse into what Denethor was thinking before he made that mad decision to burn himself and Faramir. I think it made him much more sympathetic a character. Thanks for another insightful piece, and update soon!
demeter d chapter 3 . 7/14/2007
Such a touching scene, Denethor trying to tend his remaining son, to try to make up for the way he sent him off. The supreme irony would have been if Boromir had returned, after learning what he had about the power of the ring to ensnare him. I think his Father might have been surprised after all. A very good look into Denethor's mind.
68 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »