Reviews for On a House Down the Road from Real Heroes
Cookie-the-Rookie chapter 1 . 4/20/2013
Wow. You just made me look at Yamamoto in a whole new light.
Crescent Moon Magic chapter 1 . 2/15/2013
Spoilers if you haven't read Bleach 511
Though you'll probably never read this, I wanted you to know. You made Yamamoto an actual character for me, and not just some generic slow over-powered leader stereotype.
I came across this just as he died in canon. After I read of his death, I felt it was an overdramatized death of an underdeveloped woobie leader, but after I read your story I realized that Yamamoto Shigekuni Genryuusai was a teacher, a dreamer, a leader, and a father to modern canon Soul Society.
You might think me silly, but I think if I hadn't read this, I would have missed something important.
So... Thanks.
20. Accompaniment

31. Generation Gap

those I liked the most:)
wishes of falling stars chapter 1 . 1/23/2010
Beautiful and unique. It's not every day you get to see into the mind of Yamamoto like this. You give him a lot more depth and character than the anime or manga goes into, and do a spectacular job doing so
ElizaGraceful chapter 1 . 12/1/2009
This is KICKASS. Seriously. The amount of insight is sickening, and more so for its accuracy. Instant fav!
IVIaedhros chapter 1 . 10/5/2009
For someone so important, Yamamoto receives very little attention. Thanks for the read.
Ell Bee Someone Else Now chapter 1 . 8/24/2009
I like this so much. We don't know much about Genryuushi, and here, as in all the best fanfiction, the authors takes the sketches canon gives us, and effortlessly fleshes them out. A job very well done.
Tatsumaki-sama chapter 1 . 8/18/2009
An amazing depth into Genryuusai. You really got in-character as well and he seems so much more human. You did a wonderful job fleshing him out, making him realistic and letting us realize how much he truly had to carry on his shoulders as the Captain-Commander of Soul Society.

/6. Psychobabble

But sometimes, he likes to think their souls shattered into billions of pieces when they died. That way, he can explain why he glimpses each of them in every person that stumbles across his field of vision./

/9. Take Five

Shinsui and Ukitake are his favorite pupils because they remind him of two things he knows too well: wasted opportunities and stolen potential./

/15. Celebration Guns

Unohana Retsu points out that it would mean genocide for the Quincy, given Soul Society’s laughably superior numbers, Ukitake comes his closest to angry when he half-yells that shinigami function first and foremost as protectors of the living, and Aizen Sousuke stretches his lips into another sad smile and muses that it would certainly cast the term “death god” in an entirely new light. Then Kaname Tosen quietly notes the consequences of an uneven distribution of souls between the two worlds. The room falls silent, and they send off the tentative plan to the Central 46 chambers because thousands of people simply don’t measure up to justice. Yamamoto tries not to see the irony in the fact that Tosen is blind./

/17. Child's Play

On the day he ordains Toushirou Hitsugaya captain, he gives the boy a grin and tries to resurrect some ghost of shame at the fact that neither he nor anyone else in Soul Society feels the worse for another child soldier./

/19. Elephant in the Corner

Yamamoto also counts himself as one of the few members of the Gotei 13 not creeped out by Ichimaru Gin’s presence. This is purely because whenever the two stood in proximity to one another, Yamamoto was too preoccupied attempting to discern whether the captain of the third division squinted his eyes or simply walked around with them closed to bother with how profoundly strange the man was./

/27. Soft Revolution

Yamamoto glances over the line of children below him whose eyes are anywhere but the sky and absorbs all that’s changed. Abarai Renji slumps over with a smirk towards the Ryoka, Rukia takes Byakuya’s hand in her own, and the harsh line of Soi Fong’s lips melt into a smile as she and Yoruichi help move the wounded./

/29. Missed the Sun

In hindsight, he can pick apart all of Aizen’s lies, every sleight of hand, all the water moons and mirrored flowers. But the fact remains that he, like everyone else, had piled all their dreams onto a system that could never come close to perfection from the start./

/31. Generation Gap

Does he hate Kurosaki Ichigo? No. The boy’s got a maniac for a father, two lunatics for teachers, and friends who take eccentric to an entirely different dimension. Instead, Yamamoto silently thanks Ichigo for reminding him of the purpose behind romantics and rebels and marvels at how normal the kid behaves./

I can't stop thinking how awesome and insightful these little parts are about Genryuusai. Great job!
XENO Prototype chapter 1 . 2/24/2008
sigh... good old yammamoto..
Sabriel41 chapter 1 . 6/20/2007
I quite enjoyed this; there aren't enough stories out there that even mention Yamamoto, and yours slips through a thousand years of history very well, particularly his evolution from being a young rebel and dreamer to the patriarch (of sorts) of Soul Society. "Shoot The Moon" is probably my favorite segment, although I have to admit that "Life Effect" gave me chills. (The Stars are one of my favorite bands ever, so to see all the song references in your mini-titles also prompted a grin. That said, is your title a twist on a lyric from "Your Ex-Lover is Dead?")

I've probably rambled enough; thank you for the read, and cheers!

~Sabe.
incandescens chapter 1 . 6/15/2007
This is an absolutely marvellous piece. Thank you very much indeed!
socks123 chapter 1 . 6/13/2007
Good story, not enough stories centering on Yamamoto.