Reviews for Secrets, Snakes and Swords: Chamber Symbology
Guest chapter 1 . 10/7/2013
I personally prefer the TRGW symbology, but maybe Harry's phallic symbol (the sword) killed Tom Riddle's phallic symbol (the snake) when it entered Ginny's 'uterus' (the chamber)...
The Hare and the Otter chapter 1 . 5/5/2013
I'd love to see your references. It's a great take on the scene and symbolism - although mine was slightly different. ;) (NOT a H/G shipper, btw)
Kylie chapter 1 . 3/15/2013
I love this.
nienerz chapter 1 . 3/4/2013
WOO HOO! Now, as someone who ships BOTH Harry and Ginny AND Ginny and Tom, I say this is really epic. Never heard of the Chambers Ginny thing before, but this is cool.
YouAreMental chapter 1 . 12/13/2012
So, my symbology of the troll and Harry. Harry put his wand (phallic object?) in the troll's nose, which is actually a symbol for the troll's ass. The troll puts his finger in his nose earlier, meaning the troll anally masturbates. Harry's wand went into the troll's nose, and when it came out it was covered with a viscous liquid, which represents the semen. The troll then proceeded to faint (perhaps out of pleasure). This is all deeply touching. I can see the hidden meaning.

Oh, and Ron uses his wand, to lift the troll's club with a levitation charm. The troll's club represents it's phallic object. Make of it what you will :P

This is all so deep. I feel so much like a genius. J.K Rowling's undertones of gay monster sex was ignored for so long! *cries*
What.The.Fuck chapter 1 . 12/13/2012
Seriously. What the fuck. Don't you think you may be looking too far into these things?

Well, here's my interpretation according to yours:

1) Ginny will cheat and will eventually be Harry's downfall. And she will cheat with whoever Harry trusted most, like the relationship Arthur had to Lancelot. It can't be Ron, I hope not. Harry gives Neville the task of slaying the final horcrux in the final battle knowing if it failed he would die. Harry also gives Neville the Sword of Gryffindor. A knight is a defender of the king's life; Neville was given the task of defending Harry's life and ensuring his enemies died. Lancelot was the main knight and most trusted of Arthur. Ron betrayed Harry once, so he cannot be the knight. Oh yeah, Neville also defeats a snake of Tom Marvolo Riddle's. A snake held in higher esteem by Voldemort than even the Basilisk. Ginny went to the Yule Ball with Neville.

So the first was Voldemort, whose basilisk was then slain by Harry, and then again the same act is done by Neville, but with an even more important snake. In other words, Ginny first had a crush on Riddle, than a childhood hero admiring crush on Harry, it soon dissipated and Neville became the object of her affections? Ginny cheats on Harry with with Neville? Scandalous.

2) Ron enters the Chamber of Secrets along with Hermione in the Deathly Hallows, imitating the sounds Harry made in order to get a basilisk fang for the horcrux. So it was a threesome with Ginny? Kinky.

3) This is a load of bullshit due to either a lot of free time or loads of meth. You sir, need a rest. You are overexerting your mental facilities to the point of madness.
B2J chapter 1 . 4/16/2012
it's been a long time since you've written this story but now that we know that harry had a part of tom riddle's soul do you suppose that it would make a difference? would it mean in some way that the harry that ginny fell in love with was merely an allusion that ginny conceived due to her memories of tom? rowling herself said that they are perfect to one another as she understands him- due to her being touched by another version of tom riddle?
AGB chapter 1 . 3/25/2012
I've actually never heard of that argument before and find that it is very interesting. And I agree with your conclusion. If you disregard the facts then what you're left with is Gryffindor fucking (pardon my language) Slytherin which, while intriguing, is less appealing to me than Tom/Ginny/Harry.
Ana chapter 1 . 3/16/2012
Wow this was deep, you had some really good points. However while i admit JKR is a genius i don't think when writing HP she thought about all of that. In any work of literature there is a certain amount of planning and forethought into each element of the novel however to create everything with a symbolic or hidden meaning for 7 books seems a little bit farfetched. You have to admit that maybe just maybe not everything has a deeper meaning, sometimes instead of overanalysing we should just accept things at their face value. Not that she didn't mean anything more by the chamber of secrets but somehow i don't think it really has anything to do with HPGW or TRGW. Well at least not as indepth as some people seem to feel the need to go into their relationships. But i understand the need to rebutt the arguments of some of the HPGW shippers ad you did a really good job.
ElderThurisaz chapter 1 . 1/13/2012
Oh. My. God.

I think this is the hardest I've ever laughed at a HP fanfic before. This is beastly.

"... Riddle's basilisk spent more time in there."

"a living, breathing creature"

O.O God damn, i think you just created an essay about how big Voldemort's junk is. No wonder Bellatrix wanted him so bad.
NyxNightGoddess1 chapter 1 . 9/23/2011
That was actually quite interesting, though I am very tired at the moment and find what the HPGW shippers believe hilarious! The Chamber of Secrets symbolizing a uterus? What? Never heard that one before. I haven't read any Ginny/Tom fanfictions; though I do have to admit, the pairing makes sense.

If you pour your heart out to someone, write down your thoughts, trust them, even, they _will_ have an affect on you. Not always good, either. Ah, well, it's late. Goodnight/good morning, whatever.
maddie chapter 1 . 9/7/2011
Seeing people get so serious about this makes me JKR is just smart not God(that would be weird...)
OnTheImportanceOfLungs chapter 1 . 8/3/2011
Well, this was interesting. In fact, it was the most interesting thing I've read in a while.

But I disagree.

First, 1 for referencing Hillman.

Onto my points now.

Firstly, we should view Harry in context of the hero that you claim - a "boy she'd been gushing over and running from during her entire first year". I'm going to take a leap of logic for now, and refer to Harry as "the Lack" per Lacan's psychoanalysis. Harry is the "missing piece", and from a more heteronormative view, the phallus that she means to impale herself on.

Honestly, I don't like Ginny Weasley much as a character. She's little more than a concept, but from a psychoanalytic perspective, the pairing of Harry/Ginny makes a lot of sense.

Tom Riddle, represented by the snake is the first to respond to Ginny's Desire. Desire with a capital D - I'm referencing Deleuze's work on how the driving force behind human sexuality isn't as Freud says - the representation of something more, but rather, what is directly needed to 'flow' through the mind and body. Ginny's Desire is not represented by the Chamber of Secrets per say - that is the actualization of the Desires, or that-which-Lacks - no one is going to fill her uterus. Tom comes along, and while the snake is a phallactic symbol...

The snake is limp and coiled. In context of the hero, it is representative of "broken" sexuality - of castration. Tom is unable to "get it up" despite being _in_ Ginny first, and therefore unable to satisfy her. The concept of "draining" her supports this theory - Tom cuts off the flow to her Desire (that's why she couldn't meet Harry's eyes, etc).

Harry, who waltzes into the Chamber pulling the Sword of Gryffindor out of the Hat (like King Arthur pulled the Sword from the Stone) is representative of him conquering Ginny Weasley. In truth, reading it again helped me realize that JKR dropped so many hints as to Harry's real prize. Harry's desire is to defeat Tom, to destroy him, and he's _destined_ to do so - to replace Tom's castrated Body with his own virility, with his own Desire.

And we're further supported by the fact that Tom's lost his good looks and turned into a sort of Eldritch horror by his lack of ability to conquer (Wizarding Britain) himself.

This is further supported by his foil - not Harry, but Albus Dumbledore. Dumbledore, according to Rowling, is a homosexual, and Foucault claims that homosexuality is there because "we put it there". Rowling's Word of God that he's not an eccentric old man, but rather, someone who treaded the line between good and evil, and immersed his Body in the Greater Good - an extension of the villain before Tom, means that the insolubility, the lack of release, the castration of Tom Riddle runs far further than previously thought.

This is further supported by the Elder Wand - it would only "sort of" work for Dumbledore, who had to "take it" and hide it from the world. When Tom Riddle displays "his" Elder Wand to the world, he realizes that it just wouldn't work for him. He murders Severus Snape, who is similarly incapable of understanding the wand - his repressed love for Lily runs far too deep, and in his final duel against Harry, he is betrayed by his defective wand. Draco Malfoy, in this case, would be a better match for the concept of Ginny Weasley - he was someone who possessed the wand, and was the Master for a moment, even if he never used it.

But Draco can be lumped with Dumbledore then - both of them incapable of the true nature of the wand, lending credence to the belief that Draco Malfoy is also a homosexual. His fixation on Harry sort of clues us in on it too.

Ultimately, this entire spiel comes back to Harry Potter, _the_ true Master of the Elder Wand, the most phallic of the Death Hallows (though the other two have such properties as well).

When he leaves Ginny, he holds off his Desire in order to go after (pieces of Voldemort's soul, as well as) the Elder Wand, to prove that he would be capable of being in a relationship with her concept - a trial for the Hero. Especially since he's lost the Sword.

Meanwhile, make what you will of Neville cutting off the head of Nagini. :P

That's my $0.02, from a Poststructuralist psychoanalysis.
ambiguouslyme chapter 1 . 6/27/2011
I was pleasantly surprised when I read this. I am sorry to say I expected something much more childish, but I actually agree with most if not all of your arguments. I've never really thought of the symbolism but it does make sense in a way. There's also the fact that I just don't really like HP/GW.
agirlsufferingwritersblock chapter 1 . 4/2/2011
ok this made me laugh, but doesn't this belong in like... a forum, or something?
59 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »