Reviews for Descent of Mana: The Lost Swords
Guest chapter 29 . 9/23/2014
Now this here is an interesting piece of fiction. I played a little Secret of Mana years ago, but I've never touched Legend of Mana. What impresses me most here is that I was able to understand and follow the narrative, the history, and the world even without the matching game for reference. Thank you for not assuming your readers would all already know everything!

One part that stuck out as rough to me was the long conversation between Elazul and Sappho. The content was interesting, but there was no sense of MOVEMENT during it. I knew they were walking, but once they started talking, all of the details of their surroundings disappeared. A few scattered physical or environment cues would have helped maintain the narrative of travel to keep the conversation from feeling disjointed from the action. Brushing away Shadole cobwebs, kicking a rock, sneezing at dust, stopping to stretch, SOMEthing.
ShadiWolfine chapter 29 . 3/10/2014
This story was so beautiful. There was so much feels and fluff and plot twists. This story made me hate Pearl quiet a bit less, since she was emotionally useful.
fuzzything44 chapter 29 . 2/16/2014
This is a wonderful story. Sadly, I can't recommend it as I doubt it will ever be finished, or even updated again. I think the author has left FFN forever.
A person chapter 29 . 7/6/2013
I love this story. It is good enough to keep me from reading the next few chapters of another amazing fanfic (Harry Potrer and the Methods of Rationality) because I just needed to know what happens next. This story is so amazing that I read it for hours at a time. Keep on writing!
Queen of Light 17 chapter 29 . 10/7/2010
I just found this story recently and I was blown away by it! This story is amazing! I love how you developed the characters and the storyline! I was happy to actually see Elazul meet one of his parents in the underworld and managed to get some understanding (was very curious about them ever since they were mentioned in the story). I was also thrilled that Elazul finially said I love you to Ren! Love the warmth between them. Looking forward to seeing Drakoins being brought down. Also seeing more of the Jumi arc? Hope to see more some day and once again your story is beyond amazing!
Gamoden chapter 22 . 6/29/2010
I think it's very interesting, a change in perspective that doesn't seem at all out of place. As Ren makes the worst mistake she can in joining with Larc and Drakonis, Elazul joins with Viridian and Sierra to try and save her. I like it and I have enjoyed all of it. I am just hoping that when I finally get around to working on my Legend of Mana fics that yours will not interfere with my perspective of what's canon and what's not I had that problem after reading the manga
Gamoden chapter 6 . 6/10/2010
My friend Mizu was right, this really is a very good and enjoyable fanfiction. I am definitely having a hard time sometimes telling what is made up and what is canon. You do a wonderful job describing the situation and still tying it in with the plot even though it's in a very unique and interesting point of view. Not just in this chapter but all of them. I am thoroughly enjoying reading this, it is part of the inspiration for not one but two Legend of Mana fanfics I am working on. One similar to this, the other involving the history of the Jumi though I have yet to get any of them started yet
TheMoonclaw chapter 29 . 4/10/2010
Hello!

I'd thought I'd leave a review since I've read this story and liked it, and since I'm kinda hoping it will make you want to finish...lol

You left the story at a really annoying part, (In a good way,) where I must know what happens!

Anyway, I hope you do finish it because I enjoyed reading it so far.
Tiny Cherie chapter 29 . 4/5/2010
aww that's sweet :)
Airess Byrd chapter 29 . 12/21/2009
ah! hello tiamat42! it is nice to see you back with another chapter of this great story! :3 incidently, i have been checking almost every week for an update! lol one of the many reasons i enjoy the favorites thingy on . gets ya quick access to the stories you are following. _

um, yeah. anyway, i love how this chapter played out! i see that draconis has the sword now and he has just become a really, really, really BIG problem for everyone. i wonder what his real reason for going crazy was? he seemed really pissed that people kept questioning his motives... hm. anyway, draconis' castle ripping its way out of the underworld was freaking awesome! i see that the "onion spider" fella is going to have a pain redecorating that place. lol can you imagine? i bet no designer wants to step anywhere near that place? the colors all clash and then there are the shadoles! they totally clash with the fueng seui (sp?). anyway, enough rambling.

the interactions between el and ren were very realistic. she was wasn't all, "crap! i need to do the whole hero thing and save the world! dun dun dun da!" she was like still worried about screwing things up and was stressing about it. and then el's all, "you don't have to worry about that crap, we can just dissappear, if that's what you want." the big secret to what the name "ren" actually meant! that was a twist, that's for sure _ the outburst from ren to elazul was very well written as well. "hits like blackpearl's hammer" is the best way to describe ren's wording perfectly. it also shows that el has grown up alot since he met ren. _ anyway, i totally loved the ending scene where el tells ren what he wanted to tell her before, and she's all "uh huh." he gets all flustered and she says "El, you came tearing across half this world and most of the next after me. I don’t really need a couple of words as proof." that there was a classic ren moment! very cool and very sweet. 3
Reiko x 3 chapter 29 . 12/21/2009
YAY!Ren and Elazul are back!

Dark: Wonder how the battle against Draconis will run...

Looking back at the rest of the fic, I feel I can safely conclude it will be epic like every other major battle thus far.

Dark: True.

And I just got my hands on a copy of Children of Mana! Glee!

Dark: Yet another installment in the awesomeness that is the Seiken series.

Indeed. Well, we patiently and eagerly await your next update! You never have to worry about losing this reader!

Dark: Considering that it once took three years for another author she liked to get over her writing slump...

*nervous laugh* Eh heh... *waves* Ja ne!
Riku no kage chapter 29 . 12/19/2009
:superbly-uber-sugar-coated-chocolate-flavored-flying-hug-tackle-glomp of epic fangirly d00mness:

Insert about fifty thousand squees per character in your chapter right about... here. Been waiting way too long for this! Man, a lot has happened since you last updated, and I haven't gotten much farther in my rendition of LoM. XD Some of my reasons are the same as the ones you gave for taking your time on this chapter. Moving, work, fiance, new laptop (gift from fiance, it's an iBook G4, and even though the screen is super tiny and it doesn't run Flash very well, I do like it a lot better than my Dell) things like that for me...

Anyway, on to my :actual: review.

Beautiful story-telling there. Your blend of words is simply amazing, I could literally see everything happening as you described it. You have a real knack for painting pictures with words (and I'm so tempted to fan-art the touching scenes at the end). I remember previously complaining that Elazul didn't use the word "dammit" as often as I thought he should, so I had fangasms a little when I saw that word used in certain context not once, but TWICE!

The characters aren't the same as they were in the game, I don't think, but with the story you've written for them, they've grown and evolved in a way that keeps them true to themselves in the universe you have them living in. The depth and detail you go into with how your characters react and respond to their situation and each other is so vibrant and believable I wouldn't be surprised if the original creators of LoM would take your story as canon. You made Elazul, Ren, Drakonis, Olbohn, and Sierra into real people, actual 3-dimensional, emotions and everything PEOPLE. The characters from the original game seem two-dimensional compared to the people and histories you've created in this beautiful, heart-rending story.

I need to add Legend of Mana to my Christmas list, since :technically: it was my brother's, which meant I left it behind when I moved out. I have to play this game again, not only so I can imagine the story line you have given it and sync everything up, but also so I can clear up farther which part of the story is yours and which is from the game, because I had noticed (while I was still writing it) that a lot of the influence of my LoM story is not from the game itself, but from your beautiful work.

Actually, you've inspired me to write some more in it. Maybe I can get a chapter done this time. :P I think I had to stop mid-sentence last time I worked on it because I had to leave for work!

Before I sign out and let my sugar-hyped system work on my fanfiction, I wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas (or whichever yule-tide holiday you celebrate) and a Happy New Year!

(Wow, I think this is the longest review I've ever left in my time on ...)
Niana Kuonji chapter 29 . 12/15/2009
I was beginning to really worry about you, y'know? Hadn't heard from you in months (and wow, if you feel like, have you got a lot to catch up on with my fic. It's almost over).

Loved the chapter though. Nice to see that things are starting to knit together even if Drakonis has got the other end of the yarn and is pulling for all he's worth. :D
minaseiko1 chapter 29 . 12/15/2009
Wow.

An update after so long. Welcome back. D

I love your story and even the pairings.

Keep up the good work and can't wait for the next chappy.
G3rain1 chapter 29 . 12/13/2009
OMG, you're back! I had given up on this thinking it was abandoned. Glad I was wrong.

Your work, as usual, is stellar, and this chapter is no exception. Your characters, action sequences, wording, and imagery are all in top form and haven't suffered from your long break.

I'm glad to see Ren back to herself again as well. I missed her. Even if she' not a hundred percent yet. I love how even though she could hardly stand she decided to take on Olbohn without a second thought. Welcome back, Ren!

And I'm a sucker for those sappy romantic moments, so this chapter was hugely satisfying in that department. And it came at a point in my life when I really need something uplifting like that.

Keep up the great work, I can't wait till next chapter.