Reviews for Where's Waldo?
Olivia Sutton chapter 11 . 7/30/2008
Hiya -

I've noticed in your author notes that you seem to think that you can't write angst.

Let me tell you - your wrong! :-) Your angst is VERY well-written. I absolutely love it. You did a great job this story, not only with hurting poor Dean, but with giving Sam a chance to comfort Dean and take care of him. you also managed to get the brothers talking it a way that is consistent with the series (lets not forget all those end-of-episode emo scenes in the Impala, right?) but hits all the right buttons of an angst and h/c junkie like me.

Anyway - wonderful story.

Olivia Sutton chapter 10 . 7/30/2008
Wow! - I really enjoyed this chapter, a lot. Poor Sam, having to bring Dean back, and knowing the consequences if he didn't.

But my favorite part was the two brothers talking about Sam's death and Dean's deal.

"“Yeah,” Sam replied, not tearing his gaze from the fire. “You scared the shit out of me, Dean.”

They sat in silence once more, each brother lost in the implications of that statement. Sam tapped his foot, refusing to look at his brother. Dean would no doubt make light of it and brush it off and Sam was in no mood to pretend it didn’t matter. “Well, it’s all over now. The spirits are gone and everything’s okay,” Dean stated finally.

“Dean, you weren’t breathing. I was afraid you were going to die. Do you have any idea what that feels like?” Sam asked angrily, annoyed Dean was dismissing the seriousness of what had transpired. As soon as the ill-spoken words were out of his mouth, he wished he could pull them back.

An unreadable expression crossed Dean’s face and Sam prepared himself for the onslaught. Dean would either flippantly change the subject as if nothing had been said or explode in a tirade of anger. What Sam did not expect was for Dean to drop his gaze to stare at his bare feet and speak quietly in a cracking voice.

“When you died,” Dean began. Sam hiccupped in surprise, questioning why he had felt the need to press Dean on this issue. They never mentioned the death word. In an unspoken agreement between them, they occasionally alluded to it, but never spoke of it outright. Dean continued unabated, “I held you in my arms knowing there was nothing I could do. I pulled you close, willing death away, but it didn’t help. You drew your last breath and I couldn’t stop it.”

Dean paused and looked at his hands, examining them closely. “I failed, Sammy. Practically all my life, I’ve tried to do whatever it takes to keep my family safe and I failed.” Dean’s abused throat caused his quavering voice to crack. “You’re my little brother, my responsibility, so don’t ask me if I understand. I understand.”

Sam nodded, swallowing the lump of emotion lodged in his throat. “That goes both ways. You’re my brother,” he stated huskily, repeating the sentiment he’d voiced only a few weeks ago. “I’ll do whatever it takes to get you out of this.”

“Don’t say that,” Dean snapped angrily. “I don’t want you doing anything stupid.”"

I know that's a long quote - but I really, really liked it. It was *in* character and it showed both brothers' concerns. You captured not only Dean's feelings about Sam, but his own insecurity and conviction that he's a screw-up. Poor Dean! He's a much better guy than he gives himself credit for. And you captured Sam's feelings of love and concern for Dean too - and his determination to get Dean out of it. And, of course, Dean's admonishment of Sam to not do *anything* too desperate to get Dean back.

Anyway, *wow* what a chapter!

Olivia Sutton chapter 6 . 7/28/2008
Hi again,

Yep - this is definely becoming one of my favorite SN h/c stories. I love that Sam is getting the chance to take care of Dean, even if he's hurt too. (Poor Sammy! - Rattlesnake bites are nothing to mess with).

I particularly liked, "“I’m sorry,” Dean said, running a hand over his face.

“For what?” Sam asked, scrunching his face in confusion.

“For not getting there in time,” Dean said, his green eyes searching Sam’s face. “For distracting you.”

Sam’s demeanor shifted from carefree to serious in the space of a heartbeat. “In spite of what you think, you aren’t responsible for everything that happens to me,” Sam replied softly. “You aren’t responsible for half the things you feel you are.”

“Yeah, I am,” Dean shot back. “You’re my little brother.”"

That's so Dean!

And this, "“And you’re my big brother,” Sam replied at last, turning his gaze back to Dean.

“I’m not sorry for making that deal,” Dean admitted, focusing his intense jade green eyes on his brother’s hazel. “I know you don’t want to hear that, but I’m not. I can’t be.”

“I told you Dean, I’ll take care of it,” Sam stated firmly. “I’ll get you out of it, I swear.”

“Don’t swear,” Dean said. “You know I can’t help you. I won’t risk it.”

“I know,” Sam replied softly, breaking eye contact with Dean."

That's so Sam, and well, Dean too, but it's so Sam. I take it this takes place right after "All Hell Breaks Loose"? 'Course, I haven't seen much of S3 yet. I can't wait for the DVDs. (Ravenmerc got me hooked this summer, so I've seen all of S1 and S2 on DVD.)

Anyway, excellent story!

Olivia Sutton chapter 4 . 7/27/2008
I'm really, really enjoying this story. I've always liked h/c and balanced h/c - and you've got *both* brothers in considerable trouble :-)

But this bit I particularly liked: "Illuminated clearly by the moonlight he saw the other Sam arch backwards, pain and shock visible on his face before he crumpled to his knees, sagging as Dean reached him. Sam remained motionless to the scene in front of him; he regretted this moment with every fiber of his being. This was the moment he had let his guard down, so relieved to see Dean that he had forgotten everything else. This was the moment that had cost him his life and ultimately the life of his older brother. Unable to tear himself away as Dean broke down in front of him, he watched as his doppelganger’s head lolled and his body went limp; he listened as Dean offered false reassurances to his counterpart. When the other Sam disappeared, Dean shouted his name, spurring Sam into action."

Wow- what a way to re-write and poor Sam's emotions and guilt into THAT scene (which still makes me whimper). I also really loved Sam's telling Dean that it was "going to be okay". The boys really do take care of each other, don't they?

I'm off to read more of this, but it might take awhile, I've been really super busy at work & home lately.

bhoney chapter 11 . 5/24/2008
Okay, so I actually paid to print this story out at the library when my computer was down, because I was sure I was going to like it, and I have to say, it didn't disappoint. I really, really enjoyed it.

I LOVED your use of flashbacks to show us times when the boys have been there for each other in the past. This is one of my favorite things in a SN fanfic, and you did a great job with them.

And the ghost of Gibbs, making Dean think Sam was dead-I was really nervous about that-was it all a trap? Nice the way you had it be none of the obvious explanations (not a trap, not true...). You really kept me guessing. The ghost aspect in the whole story was really compelling-intriguing and unusual, the way the replays kept happening. It was suspensful right up to the end.

I didn't know about the dry bite thing with rattlesnakes-I was totally freaking out when Sam got bitten. Loved seeing Sam be all protective, when Dean was hurt. That was a nice change. And I LOVED the banter throughout, especially when Sam was bandaging Dean up: "You are getting older and I'm sure your bones are more fragile. I'm just glad you didn't break a hip...And I see you've taken up rock collecting." LOL I was cracking up!

And then I totally wanted to cry when the re-enactment of Sam's final moments happened, and Sam was watching Dean relive that experience. It was SO gut-wrenching. But Sam understands better now why Dean made the deal, so that's good.

And how much did I LOVE that Dean saved Sam from the werewolf, when he could barely stand? That's our Dean! And how much did I LOVE when Sam got all dangerous when Mike was checking out Dean's bruising and hurt him? Sam! You wrote both of the boys so well in this story!

I'm a little intrigued by the whole "cursed state quarters" thing-is that a real thing? Mike was cracking me up with his conspiracy theories. LOL Glad Sam didn't leave Dean at the clinic while he went back up to face the ghosts. They're always better off as a team. Love Dean's confidence in Sam: "I'll take a guess of yours over other people's facts any day."

I LOVED the end, when Waldo strangles Dean, and Sam brings him back with CPR and his "best little brother voice" and then they actually talk about when Sam died, and how Dean felt about that. SO nice to see! Also, very elegant explanation of what caused the replay hauntings. Very original.

And again with the mention of Portland-you really are going to have to pony up a Portland fic! Loved the brotherly bickering at the clinic, and the hero vs. sidekick conversation in the car. And Sam making poor Dean listen to soft rock. Oh the horror! LOL

Great, great story. I'm adding it to my faves list, and officially adding you as a fave author as well. I know, your life is complete now. ;)
tanpopo chapter 3 . 3/28/2008
Well, you certainly got me here. I have no clue what's going on. Seems like stuff is somehow transported to that clearing and then away again... naw, I don't know.
tanpopo chapter 2 . 3/28/2008
As much as I appreciate you doing research, next time try to do something that won't leave you in danger of collapsing somewhere, 'k? Sheesh.. you definitely got some dean-ish qualities there.

I love Sam caring for Dean! Limp!Sam is great, but he so rarely gets the chance to shine and be the hero to save the day (and Dean). So - go Sammy!
tanpopo chapter 1 . 3/28/2008
Ooh, I really like this so far! Poor Dean, stuck in some hole with a concussion and that lying weirdo.
JackFan2 chapter 11 . 12/31/2007
A late arrival to this story and I just wanted to tell you how thoroughly I enjoyed this! Sam and Dean's characterizations were just perfect, you managed to keep the action moving with more emotional movement and light-hearted moments and brotherly expressions of love. Great balance and speed the entire time. Truely enjoyable in every way.

As a mother with two boys, I see Dean in my eldest and Sam in youngest ALL. THE. TIME. So this show has found a very special place in my heart. THanks for bringing it into sharper view with this one.

Bytheby.. I intend to read more of your SPN fics and really hope you'll grace us with another. It's what we all need to get through this idiotic writer's strike... not that I don't think the writer's have a point and that their needs aren't important, but I'm a fan first and foremost. :D

CHEERS!

Julie
brighette chapter 11 . 12/31/2007
Well, here I am again...I'm snagged for the moment ;) M, yummy Dean whumpage! Always good in my book. I also enjoy Sammy in protective mode, it's not something we get to see enough in the show. And once again, loved the parting paragraph, and especially the parting line. Brotherly goodness!
milkyway22 chapter 10 . 12/9/2007
Did I mention I love to learn new things? Well I do and I found it interesting all the little tidbits you included on the different burying rituals and the symbols and such that went with them.

Whew you almost made me cry this chapter what with Dean dying and the resulting death talk.

So wish I had a car like the Impala but I'm stuck with my lovely Chevy Avalanche ah well I do love the dual temp controls and the 5 cd changer. I could however do without the high payments lol
milkyway22 chapter 9 . 12/8/2007
*shiver* White water rafting no wayy did I mention that I can't swim and have this thing about water at least the kind that's not comin out of something normal like a shower. Life jacket or no my luck I'd hit my head on a rock and drown. Yes, I am a bit of a cynic so sue me.

Anyways back to the adventure! Great chapter as always! I know this thing says to give constructive cryticism but when you've already had like 3 ppl beta plus yourself there's nothing left to pick at. :)
milkyway22 chapter 8 . 12/8/2007
Ah stubborn and gruff dean I love a hurt Dean but I like it too when he has his usual demeanor back too.

Let me just say I got chills when I read that last part you certainly do a geat cliffhanger I'm just glad that the story is complete so that I can go immediately on. Okay so yes I try to read all the complete stories first and then if there are no more I go to the In-progress ones I can't help it I'm not much for suspense lol
milkyway22 chapter 7 . 12/8/2007
Ah they finally get a rest...okay back into the fray heh

That's awesome although my mom is most definitely not into this sort of thing in fact she can't even use the computer forget e-mail.

Yes I see myself as a dean type as well I think my husband does as well he does watch the show with me though not as enthusiastically as me he thinks I watch it just because the guys are hot...what that's not the only reason I love the humor and stuff too *g*. Yes I'm sure my husband sees me as bossy and sarcastic as well...its not my fault he knew this about me before he married me lol

But then the mouth is not a bad thing to be compared to now is it? :)
milkyway22 chapter 6 . 12/8/2007
Awesome chapter per usual and how fortunate that they should run into a medic and a bit of a fellow hunter in the middle of nowwhere in the woods eh? lol nice

Ah I just love long chapters and you do them so well its such a treat.
206 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »