Reviews for Before There Were Chains
LuoLiBei chapter 1 . 12/7/2009
I really like the idea of pre-capture Goku, he's wonderfully innocent and playful while brutal, very much a wild animal. I never really considered him being unable to talk or running around naked, but considering I don't think he ever speaks when he's transformed it makes sense. This makes me want to go re-read the gaiden chapters and see Konzen and Goku's meeting again. :) I liked the scene breaks of the Before blank there was blank, in some ways it kind of reads like a trailer.
nashinashi chapter 1 . 8/22/2008
Wow. Beautifully done and quite poetic. Thanks for sharing!
Shika.Tot chapter 1 . 2/23/2008
Wonderful! I thought it flowed together so well, and it was amazingly well written. It was a fantastic read.
wongkk chapter 1 . 6/19/2007
I've often wondered how Goku's Journey to the West persona perceives or remembers his past and, finally, here is a fic which offers an engaging scrapbook of how that past might have been. His first impression of human kind is described in a very memorable way (but not very flattering ha ha), as is the depiction of his rescue by an annoyed angel, so beautifully summed up by the words "the shining one scowled"!

I also found the structure of this piece truly admirable: four short sections beginning "Before" and then four long sections beginning "Before", together building up an impression of growth and of developing (mental) baggage and power; and then a broadly applicable (but canon relevant) ending, which ties the episode to the storyline to come - but in an unclosed way which would seem to lead naturally enough to a sequel? (please!)
Ro Anshi chapter 1 . 6/18/2007
This is so elegant, so beautiful, so simple without being in the least simplistic. The word-pictures you paint instantly call to mind Minekura's art. And I love your structure - the motif of the italicized sentences, all beginning with "before", save for the last italicized word, "Light." So perfect. So perfect it could be canon.

I am so glad to see that you remain inspired to write, and that your writing is still so wonderful and evocative.
Veszelyite chapter 1 . 6/18/2007
This is a lovely prequel-to-Gaiden fic, filling in a gap in the story in an utterly believable way. Those first few sentences had me digging out my Gaiden manga just to look at that pretty, pretty image of Goku's birth up on the mountain with the moon hanging low in the sky.

The descriptions of proto-Goku's actions (his nature and his innocence), and the way he came up before Heaven all fit together cleanly like the pieces of a puzzle. I love the way the reader's attention is drawn back to the theme of the title at the end. Very nicely done.
Eyes of Shinigami chapter 1 . 6/18/2007
Holy WOW. I think that's the only way to adequately describe this.

You have such an amazing way with words, and this story was definitely no exception. It was written so simply, and yet...amazingly complex. The way you took Goku before he was Goku and described him was mind-boggling. Innocent, naive, and positively adorable. _

I felt such a pang of sympathy for him, how it was to be treated that way and he didn't understand. By all rights he wasn't doing anything wrong, but he was just misunderstood. Maybe that's why Seiten Taisei's so angsty, ne? *laughs*

And bringing in Konzen at the end was just genius. I loved how it completely set off the rest of what Goku was feeling and experiencing. *sighs* You blew me away with this. So beautiful. This is definitely going on the faves list, just because. I'm still gushing over it. Thank you for such a lovely read!
White-Arctic-Wolf chapter 1 . 6/18/2007
Wow! You have a way with words! Awesome story-It was very beautiful, and the way you wrote it made it easy to see the surroundings and know the feelings of the character. I never really thought about how Goku lived before he was brought up to Heaven, but I'm confident that he probably did live like that, or something close to it.
zan bein' lazy chapter 1 . 6/18/2007
Did I say already how Beautiful this is!

Poetry in prose. Lovely flow of text and subtext on so many levels.

I. Love. This!