Reviews for Schadenfreude
EllieMurasaki chapter 13 . 1/26
I really liked this.
Minirowan chapter 13 . 11/5/2011
That was brilliant! I'm a fan of epic stories but this one was wonderfully crafted to slide into the show's timeline without interrupting canon. Simply amazing!

I love the insight you brought in on the whole gang; they each have a unique and vital role to keep the group functioning. I never really thought of it, but reading this opened my eyes to what was buried under horrid dubs. Brigning in Anzu's mom into all this was also a plus, I love it when caring parents are in the know. It's especially fun to read the part when said parent finds out about the secret world their child was involved in for months without their notice. Now that's a shocker! You glossed over some parts concerning her, but Anzu's mom has just become one of my favorite characters. At least your version of her has.

I do wish Yuugi had confessed to Anzu and vise versa, but I doubt it would have fit in with everything this story was about.

Anyway, awesome job!
Kurama no Miko2003 chapter 13 . 8/30/2011
Well done! I love this story, and the way you captured the group's relationship and each character's personality. Your descriptions were vivid and the nicknames for each character were very appropriate; I could tell who was who just based on the adjective you picked. And I really liked your explanation of just why Yami didn't call up Shadow Games anymore.
Faoi Na Realtai chapter 5 . 2/12/2011
"Think of the noogies, Yuugi." XD Best line ever. So far the story's great too, but I'm only on chapter 5.
Epouvantable chapter 3 . 9/5/2010
How excellent. I just love this Aramanth guy. I really shouldn't but the way he talks, thwe repetition and general creepiness of it...it's excellent. As much as I would love to spend another hour reading the other ten chapters, I must get up early tomorrow. Darn. I shall definitely return though. As soon as possible. This story is excellent and characterized beautifully and everything's just getting intersting. Ooh. Mark my words I will return! *somewhat evil cackle* :3
jenuinetears chapter 13 . 5/13/2010
Oh my, wow. I read this story during a period of three hours while multitasking, and I was kept being drawn to this. This was all-in-all a really fantastic story, Scribbler. I loved the plot and the angst and the pure evilness of Aramanth. It's also good that this took place in between DOMA/Memory world and actually made sense. This was a really great read, and I don't think I spotted any errors. Great job!
doggiearedpuppi chapter 13 . 4/9/2010
I loved how you had the promise in the first chapter tie into the defeat of Aramanth in the end.

You pinkie swore!" it screamed. "You pinkie swore it would always be open to me!"

Beautiful Not to mention, I love the portrayal of both Yami and Yugi in this story (actually, make that every one of your stories). So many authors have Yami and Yugi in a more.. romantic relationship, and I like how you didn't incorporate it here. Yaoi just doesn't cut their relationship for me (neither did a sibling relationship nor a father/son one), but you somehow made their bond into something... deeper than that. They're like two sides of the same coin, alike yet very different, and connected to each other in ways most people can't even fathom. To make them... want each other in a romantic way doesn't seem RIGHT for me (though with the way they describe each other as "other half" and the way they need each other makes people think otherwise...) But moving on from my rant about their relationship, the angst here was fabulous as well! (Not saying I'm a masochist. :P) Yami's despair in losing his aibou (again) was captured in a most wonderful way. Especially the way Yami was so concentrated on rescuing the thing "most important to him", he completely disregarded everything else and almost (quite possibly) destroyed himself. Yummy moment (feeling a bit like Aramanth in this moment now :D) And of course, innocent Yuugi. Adore the ways you make it so he acknowledges he has his own strengths as well. And the ending chapter, love how it ties in with the original story plot. And the last few paragraphs touch something in me (because it's the little, ordinary wonders that make life worth it, right?)

3!tweakinurears
Harpokrates chapter 13 . 3/27/2010
Psh. Don't underestimate yourself, this is easily the best fic I've read in a long time. I adore the psychology and the understanding of the human mind. This reminds me of Lord of the Flies, but with less British schoolboys and islands, and more Egyptian magic.

Anyways, amazing job!
kasmo chapter 13 . 3/3/2010
I forgot that Yami's memories and departure were drawing ever nearer. He's finally ready for things to get moving again, after witnessing how much Yuugi's growing. It's good, but it's also sad.

I did find Atem's and their farewell in the anime a little abrupt, like maybe they accepted it too fast, but I guess I wouldn't have wanted more tears or anything either. But I guess it could have been like this, that they'd already been preparing for it all this time, knowing he couldn't stay, even if they wanted him to.

Anyways, I enjoyed reading your story. I love how tight knit of a group the five of them are.
kasmo chapter 11 . 3/3/2010
I was so scared for a moment there, but I was so relieved when they were able to share their own energies to renew their friends'.

But I can't believe Anzu did that. When she said that line, "I'm sorry, Yuugi. I really am. This is going to hurt you a lot more than it hurts me.", I totally flashed back to Yuugi's dream, and I was dreading what happened next. Not that I'm not glad Yuugi found the strength to beat Amaranth, but...

But it's all over now, and they're all still safe and alive and whole. I suppose that's what really matters in the end.
kasmo chapter 10 . 3/3/2010
Not to praise Amaranth or anything, but he gives very fitting names. Or rather, you do. Innocent One, Faithful One, Loyal One, I just like them.

And Anzu's free finally. I like how you tied in the memory from so long ago into this. It just goes to show how strong their friendship is that a promise from so long ago still holds today. I was kind of hoping that Jou, Honda and Yami could get through the door too though. But it doesn't matter as long as it does open in the end for them and Amaranth is vanquished.
kasmo chapter 7 . 3/3/2010
'Yuugi was the guy who saved the world, and they were the guys who saved him.'

I love this line. It's just so sweet and makes me smile. And it's great that they're not giving up, and that they can still keep going on and planning, even while one of their closest friends is in trouble.

Poor Yuugi though. That stupid Amaranth just won't leave him alone! I'd hope that they'll defeat him and Amaranth won't get to Yuugi at all, but I suppose that's not very realistic thinking, is it? After all, there's still so much they don't know about this new enemy and it's true that it's not their usual shadow games. I mean, even if Dartz was different too, it at least included Duel Monsters still. But I know they'll all be fine and together in the end.
kasmo chapter 5 . 3/3/2010
Okay, even if they are in a crisis right now, I'm glad they still have each other to rely on. It's nice that Honda and Yugi got some time together. You really usually don't see the two without at least Jou or Anzu or someone else even present.

And yeah, it's scary that, even with all they've gone through, it's something like this that is actually real and tangible, not magic and shadows, that could scare them the most.

And you had a typo, where it should be 'your gramps' not 'you're'.
kasmo chapter 3 . 3/3/2010
I like the songs you put at the beginning of each chapter. But I believe 'who's heart' should use 'whose' instead.

And can I say, that Amaranth, whatever it is, really freaks me out! But I hope Anzu's okay. Just wait until they wipe the floor with him for daring to mess with their friends.
kasmo chapter 2 . 3/3/2010
I think the 'palette' you're looking for is spelled 'palate', when referring to taste. The other has to do with painting. Sorry to say I cringe at the peach-shipping references, but I'm glad it doesn't play a major part in this, unlike their friendship. There aren't too many fics that can be written well and not add in romance. Even in books and movies, it's got to be like that, like it's universal or something. *shrugs*