Reviews for But the Wind is Free
milkmoth chapter 1 . 7/3/2010
Wow. I never thought I’d read Fran/Ashe, but the oddness of the couple and the promise of an AU drew me in. I had to re-read bits a couple times, and reading this took considerably longer than would another fic of a similar size. Maybe the AU-ness was a little *too* well ingrained, although I'd almost prefer this to it being neatly set out. I’m still confused about bits and pieces, but what I could piece together was fascinating and awesome. You really remixed the FFXII world – which was already complex – and showed how these little differences rippled through the ‘verse. I particularly enjoyed the freer Ashe (thanks to her non-marriage), and that little detail about Larsa attempting conquests – because of his lack of Noah, maybe. You even got Fran really well, which I always think is difficult.

Sadly – this shows just how much a sucker for Balthier I am – I *loved* your characterization of Ffamran. How you added in the bits about his clothing being in less-than-perfect condition (Balthier would *never*) and the bit about the glasses was a neat homage to his original character design. He was very much less the leading man: just as arrogant, but less charming and noble. Smart, yes. But noble – from Ashe’s eyes, no. The history of this AU Balthier’s encounter with Fran was an interesting tidbit; I was happy you included it.

Loved how Ashe literally acknowledges the role reversal in her convo with Fran. xD
Laziness Incarnate chapter 1 . 2/8/2010
This is an amazing AU. I love how the characters are in such different circumstances but still feel very much like themselves, particularly Ashe. When I was playing FFXII I never thought of Ashe and Fran in terms of the duty-freedom theme (because the game emphasizes Ashe and Balthier so much!), but it works amazingly well here.
Tuume chapter 1 . 9/24/2007
I love the style and fluidity of the story. The pairing is cute and unexpected. Please do a sequel.
TangledAria chapter 1 . 9/2/2007
My God. I cannot believe there aren't any reviews for this. This is such a fabulous story. I *love* AUs. This one is so perfect. You have turned everything upside down, but it still makes sense. Too many AUs become this jumbled mess of characters and a plot mashed somewhere in the middle in an attempt to hold it all together. But this is just so *perfect* I love everything about it. :D