Reviews for A Second Chance
Hazel Roses chapter 1 . 9/6/2014
Wow, this is the first Basilisk story that I've actually found and have enjoyed so far! I love the way you portrayed Gennosuke and Oboro. I wish there were more stories on this anime, but sadly this is a very small fandom. I look forward to continuing to read your story although I am sad that it looks like it is unfinished.

I will say that I feel like your story is a bit lacking in visual aspect. You arE very good story teller and you pull your reader into the story very easily, but the details are a bit shallow. try using your five senses when you go to describe things. I liked the part where the thieves came back to the lair and was attempting to hurt Oboro, and it seemed like the situation was over way too fast. But it is Gennosuke we are talking about and his ability is extremely powerful. I wouldn't see that situation happening any other way.

Oh how I wish this was how the story ended! Everytime I watch Basilisk even though I've seen it so many times, I still cry at the ending. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one though lol.
Dinobunny chapter 10 . 12/23/2012
Heyy I realise that you haven't updated in years! It's a really good story! Hope u update soon!
elfgirllithirnial chapter 1 . 3/19/2011
I've read your entire fic and i LOVE it! PLEASE finish it! you did such an amazing job. I love Basilisk and you are a great writer with this series.
JanaxIV chapter 10 . 7/29/2010
This is totally awesome!

I know the story hasnt been uploaded for long but please continue.
T. Landria chapter 10 . 7/23/2009
OMG I love this story so much...I've noticed how long it's been since you have updated, I hope you decide to finish this because its great.
Piratelizard101 chapter 10 . 6/30/2009
This is so good. I cant wait for the nxt chapter. I really hope that Oboro-dono gets better.
francisco arboleda chapter 9 . 2/26/2009
Yeah I agree that there were some mistakes but I guess I forgot how surreal the series itself is. A guy who uses his hairs as weapon and all sorts of odd techiques so I would assume the butterflies healed Hoterubi arms as well and Also, I would assume Hyouma face is badly scared by the tornado techique of Kouyiro(sorry if the spelling is off). Well in the anime, all we saw is his face cover in blood and never saw the full extent of his injuries so it's something for you to add that the wind techique just badly scared his face much like what Gennouske techique did to Kouyiro in episode 10. I do agree that you need to make Yashamaru more junivile and I love how you brought back Tenzen and him being a evil bastard. This is like watching Basilisk 2 that continue the already saddening story but you gave it a glimer of hope.
francisco arboleda chapter 10 . 2/26/2009
I must say, I just finished watching the Basilisk series and was moved and depressed for days for the character of Oboro and Gennosuke. Gennosuke is the type of man I want to be for the woman I love one day and Oboro is so cute with her eyes. It was so depressing to see them die like that and I was looking for fanfiction where there was a possiblity they would survived with some of the other likeable members as a bonus. I love your story and is the best fanfiction I read so far and hope to see more parts and that it will end on a happy note. I know their deaths was the series intention but I just can't help but hope that they somehow survived and fooled the Shogun. Your story is what gave me a satisfying feel for the story and would like to pretend that it was canon and sorta of a sequel for the Basilisk series. I love how you use Gennosuke love as the one thing keeping Oboro alive and how Oboro is still dying but still with a hope that she will pull through. I love the use of Hoterubi butterflies healing her and I would assume those very healing properties healed her arms as well. You know what funny, I had my own thought of mine for the epilogue for the series with the use of reincarnation with Gennosuke and Oboro reliving their lives in modern Tokyo and finally finding happiness and you see some of the characters too. Perhaps the whistle that Gennosuke had would trigger some sort of memory relapse of their past lives and made modern Gennosuke and Oboro realize how eternal their love was. I would imagine them in school uniforms too, Oboro in a sailor fuku and Gennosuke in a schoolboy uniform with a black vest and white shirt. They would get marry later and have a child. That would be my version of the ending. Aftering reading your fanfiction and how well done it is. I hope to see more chapters more even though it been 2 years snice you made chapter 10. Please I ask of you to make more chapters if you can with the same quality as the ones you made. Thank you. God bless.
WretchedOne chapter 10 . 9/17/2008
Hi there! I'm a big-time basilisk fan (thanks to a dear friend of mine), and while I'm sure you have lost your inspiration for the Kouga and Iga, I still really wanted to comment on your fic. I've read this story as well as the stuff on the now depressingly obsolete LiveJournal community alt_basilisk. I think you are quite a talented storyteller. And you came up with some pretty creative ways to stop our favorite ninja from dying!

I did have to take issue with a couple of things in this story, though:

-The overly sentimental language you sometimes overuse, especially when narrating in the third person, can be a problem. It takes away from the seriousness of the situations in the fic, and makes it seem fluffy and cliche.

-Also, try to stay away from grouping all the male character into one archetype and all female characters into one. Akeginu is less given to emotional displays than Oboro is, for example. And our (sexy!) Kouga men are both very mature, controlled people, while Yashamaru is more impulsive and juvenile. Treat each character as an individual, with specific character traits.

-And another thing: remember the time period and setting you are describing. Kissing doesn't seem like a big deal to us, but in Japan in the 1600s the sensibility was quite different. So it should probably be treated with a lot more seriousness. And this goes back to the overly sentimental language thing too; using that sort of vocabulary in dialogue gives the character a vulnerability that we readers find very attractive, but might well be out of character for a seventeenth century ninja.

I don't think I articulated this review very well, which I suppose is okay since it is unlikely that this will ever be continued. But know this: I really enjoyed reading this, even if I have a few nitpicks, for it gave me the chance to explore sides of the characters that we don't get much exposure to in the official works. If you toned down the sappy language, adnd kept the emotional displays to a minimum and gave them to the characters to whom they realistically belonged, then I think the story would be even better. But even as is, it is an enjoyable and intriguing read. Thanks for writing it! (And for reading this long, rambling review!)

-Naomi (WretchedOne)
Hinata1020569 chapter 10 . 6/12/2008
write more!
HayashiOkami chapter 10 . 3/20/2008
Awesome story. It's so hard to find long stories in Basilisk. Please update soon.
xxbeni.music.soul chapter 8 . 2/26/2008
Lovely fic! Really, so much is happening

And what's up with Tenzen anyway... so creepy...

I hope you continue soon! Good Basilisk fic are rare and I for one am enjoing this, a lot!

-Gabs
xxbeni.music.soul chapter 9 . 2/26/2008
ZOMG YahaHota so cool

-Gabs.
Iwzreemdbyff.net chapter 1 . 8/29/2007
it's a nice idea but I think you ignore a few aspects of the series, like how Hyouma had his face blown off by koshiro's tornado or the way Saemon chopped off Hotarubi's hands during their fight. Also, I think it would have been better if instead of bringing Tenzen back; Koshirou somehow recovered from Kagerou's poison (being merely placed into a coma instead of dieing which is quite believable considering the abilities of medical science in that particular time period to differenciate between the two) and still believing Oboro to be dead sought out Gennosuke to exact a ruthless and painful revenge.
angel.yang92 chapter 10 . 7/23/2007
alright, Hotarubi and Yashamaru are alive! Two of my favorite characters have been ressurected! I was so sad that they had died! ur fic is very good I enjoyed it please update!