Reviews for Silver Gray Book I, Sylvia Short Sword
jazsqr chapter 19 . 12/28/2011
Once again Jessica steals the show with the best line of the chapter.

"No"

It's amazing how visually arresting your writing come across. I could just picture the way she delivers it, giving it far greater emotion and impact than I thought a single word could convey.
jazsqr chapter 18 . 12/26/2011
The sneak approach was clever, as was your analysis of the dangers of the plan. It was very interesting to hear the pros and cons as they devised a strategy, factoring their strength and weaknesses against those of their foes.
jazsqr chapter 17 . 12/24/2011
Like Raki, Tyrin's presence is both a strength and weakness. Sylvia leaves herself more vulnerable to protect her. Yet, caring to Tyrin gives her great strength, letting her tap into her power and push her limits beyond what she attempted before.
jazsqr chapter 16 . 12/24/2011
Another insight into Luny and his view of the world. And again, Jessica proves to be the most observant. In that strange way, Luny is looking out for their welfare.
jazsqr chapter 15 . 12/23/2011
I like Mist Phantom. It has a certain katana technique sensibility. Particularly in the reliance of speed of a slash attack. It's reminiscent of the quick draw techniques on the ronin kenshin manga.
jazsqr chapter 14 . 12/23/2011
Another great battle sequence. I like how Jessica deferred to Tyrin to tactics. It's a mark of a leader to recognize and capitalize on the strength of others. The strategy was simple but sound. Whirling Jessica was a great continuation of Claymores with bad ass nicknames using bad ass moves:)
jazsqr chapter 13 . 12/22/2011
I like this chapter showing the emotional fallout of the previous events. They need time to grieve and rest. Sylvia's attempt to comfort Tyrin shows just how deep their friendship has grown.
jazsqr chapter 12 . 12/22/2011
By far my favorite chapter. The one that I sometimes will re-visit without reading the entire story. This chapter just fires on all cylinders, with so many brilliant moments from the characters.

The most surprising was the depth given to Luny. While I despised his decisions, I could not argue with his logic. His appeal to Lynne was both cruel and passionate.

And then there's Lynne's sacrifice. She dies not for a rule, but for her fellow warriors. It is no less a noble sacrifice than to fall in battle. It spoke of enormous courage and empathy for her to lay down her life like this. As true of the canon series, it is ironic that these half yoma show more humanity through their actions than the full humans they die for.
jazsqr chapter 11 . 12/22/2011
A very intense chapter. I though the writing was very sharp in conveying a sense of chaos without confusing the reader with the sequence of actions. Racquel's fighting style was very unique and creative, and Jessica sounded suitably overwhelming.
jazsqr chapter 10 . 12/22/2011
I thought you did a great job building on the characteristics introduced in the previous chapter. Lynne's character was given new depth with her final comments to Sylvia. A victory for one is a victory for all.
jazsqr chapter 9 . 12/22/2011
Jessica delivers two of the most memorable lines of this story. The first was her comment on Claymores as tragedies. The second was her line to Tyrin, "A soldier endures." It's amazing how she says so little yet so much at the same time. A really wonderful creation on your part.

I thought the discussion on age was a great addition to the Claymore mythos. Each is doomed to a short and violent existence. Most do not have anything to tether them to humanity. Their behavior toward Tyrin at the end is very telling. That a human could understand the depth of their sacrifice, even a little, was probably something they've never experienced.
jazsqr chapter 8 . 12/21/2011
More a wind down from the gritty action of the previous chapter. I did like the exchange between Luny and Sylvia. The dynamic between the handlers and the claymores is fascinating.
jazsqr chapter 7 . 12/21/2011
I like the battle tactics used when faced with superior numbers. Like I said before, you have a gift for envisioning diverse action. The plan was logical and the outcome did not rely on a deus ex machina plot devices.

My favorite scene here was when Sylvia explained that she could not abandon a mission. It really spoke to the tragic heroic nature of the Claymore warrior. Of course, Tyrin's steely determination to follow Sylvia even though she was against the idea was very touching.
jazsqr chapter 6 . 12/20/2011
Another fantastic chapter. You have a real talent for writing action. It's easy to visualize the flow of the fight and the diverse styles between Sylvia and Tyrin, each skilled in different ways.

I really like Tyrin's analogy, that she dances with the sword and Sylvia butchers.
jazsqr chapter 5 . 12/20/2011
The description of Tyrin's technique was very exciting, and you definitely conveyed a sense of wonderment and confusion from Sylvia's perspective. I like the fact that she is not vain in her own strengrh and can recognize and appreciate true skill. I thought you balanced her skill and the element of surprise well in her unexpected victory against the yoma.