Reviews for Learning
So good!
TenthDoctor34 chapter 1 . 12/20/2013
Ohh poor Doctor, least hes ok in the end XD Had me worried there
DMCNero666X chapter 1 . 4/4/2013
its kinda scary how wonderfully this was written xD
SupernaturalGeek chapter 1 . 2/11/2013
That was terrific, you did an amazing job of really making the reader feel the tension as poor Martha struggled to get the Doctor back to the TARDIS and then work out how to help him. Her reactions felt completely in character and it made sense given she's a medical doctor that she was able to remain calm 'in the moment' but afterwards, when there was nothing else she could do, it hit her all at once.

It also felt very in character for the Doctor to be slightly clueless about how awful the experience was for her and then, once he realised, to try and make it up. I'm glad Martha stood up to him about letting her in though and I had to chuckle once he began attempting to explain Time Lord physiology; with his sporadic attention span you just know that is going to be a frustrating and lengthy process!

There was a really good mix of action, emotion and humour. I went from having a lump in my throat at poor Martha's anguish to grinning at the fact the Doctor was more concerned about his shirt being ruined than nearly bleeding to death!

I really did enjoy this.
photo100 chapter 1 . 2/3/2013
Brilliant!
Nectar-Ambrosia chapter 1 . 1/15/2013
Oh MAN this is good. The Doctor's characterization right after he got out of that Medlab...PERFECT. And Martha's confrontation, especially that line about knowing things Rose never would...brilliant. This is a star.
KarminLove3 chapter 1 . 11/21/2012
That was AWESOME! You kept both of them both in perfect character! I loved when he was wiggling his finger through the hole in his shirt! HAHA! And when he said, "wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a perfect-fitting shirt.." I LAUGHED SO LOUD!

GREAT JOB ON THE AWESOME FANFIC!
Radon65 chapter 1 . 11/20/2012
Okay, that was brilliant. Really well written. All the description of the Doctor's injury and his suffering were really well written, and the mechanics of Martha dragging him around and hauling him onto the table were very well described - I could pretty much always tell exactly what was going on, not like some fics where you're sitting there wondering "Wait, wasn't he sitting down? Where is does it say he stood up?" etc. So that was brilliant.

The emotional work was also quite well done, you did a good job of Martha's adrenalin-powered frenzy, the fear she had and the worry while she kept moving and did her best to shove things down so she could take care of the Doctor. I thought it was a little odd the way she was trying to stop the bleeding and thought that she didn't know if she was helping or making things worse - I don't think you could really make things worse by trying to stop the bleeding... I mean, it's possible she could press to hard and damage something internal, but when the patient's spewing blood all over the place, really the ONLY option is to try to stop the bleeding, so I don't think she's be second-guessing herself too much about that.

I liked the way Martha had to drag the Doctor everywhere and keep sort of waking him up and yelling at him to keep him telling her what to do. I also really loved how when he finally got on the table in the medlab, he managed to program it and then turned to Martha and said "I'm sorry" because, at least in my interpretation, he knew it was going to upset her when he covered himself up and just left her out in the cold wondering what the hell was going on and not knowing if he was going to be okay.

And again, I just have to say - this is kind of a strange thing to want to compliment so much, but I really just LOVED your description of the mechanics of what was happening. I hate it when I'm reading something and I can't tell what precisely is going on - what position a character is in, or where they put their hand and so on, and so it was really just a lovely breath of fresh air to read your fabulous and clear, detailed descriptions of what was happening without getting so overboard that it took away from what was happening or clogged the story. I loved the description of the Doctor's coat, "one long end trailing over the edge" of the table, and this beautiful bit here - "the dangling tail end of his overcoat lifting with the rising barrier and slipping heavily over the edge" as his coat felt into the machine with him. And I just loved the way you described that it was laying over his legs where it had fallen when he woke up. I just loved it.

Okay, I also really liked how Martha broke down after the Doctor disappeared into the machine - how you described that she had been DOING so much, fighting her emotions in order to get the Doctor what he needed and get things done, and that now, finally, in the silence, with nothing for her to do, reality hit and she freaked out. Oh, and I also loved the moment when they reached the medlab, but the Doctor lost consciousness and she couldn't wake him up for a minute and we paused for Martha to comment on just how wrong and strange it was to have the Doctor lying there, injured, "his life draining away right before her eyes."

It rather reminds me of the moment in Father's Day, when the Doctor is eaten by the Reaper and Rose just says "Oh my god, he'd dead." Because he's THE DOCTOR. He doesn't seem like someone to die, he doesn't seem like a person to get hurt like that, like you described it so, so beautifully, "He was life and energy and magic and wonder." I loved that sentence. It didn't seem real to Martha that he could be hurt like that, because it is, it is weird and of course it's especially weird to Martha because she's close to him, and it's always like that when you're close to someone.

And I loved how she thought that it JUST COULDN'T end like that, because it was a very real and tangible thought. (Although I remember thinking that it wouldn't end, even if he died - not that that detracted from what was going on at all. I still desperately wanted the Doctor to be healed even if I knew he could regenerate, and it genuinely FELT like if he died, it would just be awful. Actually, I remember feeling a bit sad and hopeful when I thought that.)

Ah, what else - well, I liked the quiet downtime Martha had where she washed her hands and paced around and waited, and I liked how when the Doctor woke up (With his coat over his legs! I also loved the bit where Martha propped the Doctor's head up on her shoulder, I could just see what was going on so clearly! Okay, next.) he was "still and silent" and I thought maybe he wasn't even fully fixed yet - but then I loved how he set up, all bright and happy and ready to go again.

I was a bit surprised he didn't pick up on Martha's pain faster, but I could sort of see him, Time Lord that he is, feeling like, well, that wasn't really that big of a deal - I'm good as new, yay, let's go doing something else! and of course he wouldn't have seen his dying with the same gravity Martha did because he'd know that he would stay dead. I also liked how for a moment, it seemed like he was still messed up, and then he just said "Headrush. Sat up too quick." and started complaining about his clothes and how disgusting everything was.

I like how Martha got angry and yelled at him, and how he immediately softened up and told her to "C'mere" (AW!) and hugged her and she felt reassured by "the reality of him" that he was alive and holding her, and he apologized and I loved how you described his sincerity in apologizing as palpable - they weren't just empty words, he truly was sorry and you could feel it. I was surprised that you brought up Rose, but I liked that you did it and the Doctor's reaction was very appropriate. Characterization was just as brilliant as everything else, I never for a moment thought "Oh, they wouldn't say that! Seriously?" it always felt very real and correct.

I liked how Martha said that Rose knew things she didn't, but that she knew things Rose didn't, and I thought it was very interesting the next paragraph where Martha considered that the Doctor always had to stay cheerful, because if he dwelt on the pain of his past he'd never get back up. That was very interesting and well done. Pretty good ending, with the Doctor starting to explain things to her (Is he going to tell her about regeneration? She'll probably smack him when she finds out he would have regenerated if he'd died!), and that was just a lovely story in general.

Probably the only real complaint I have is that I felt an alien shooting the Doctor seemed rather mundane - there wasn't much to go on as to what happened or why they were there or why the alien shot him. Martha called him an idiot, so presumably the Doctor may have done something to cause the shooting? but the Doctor also said that the alien shot him without a word, so I'm not sure what happened. That's probably the only part of the story that wasn't very clear. And that's not a big deal, because that part wasn't really necessary to enjoy the rest, I was just expecting a bit more of a "the Doctor concocts a heroic plan to save a planet where he has to do something dangerous, set an explosion or something, but it's okay, because he'll get out at the last second! ...and then he doesn't. That's more what seems to me to be the risks in the show, rather than aliens just shooting him.

But that's really nothing compared to how incredibly wonderful the story was, and how much I really, really enjoyed it. You did a brilliant job, and I loved every minute of it. Thank you.
Don'tSleep chapter 1 . 9/1/2012
I'm actually a little surprised this sorta thing doesn't happen in canon more often, with the Doctor being all hyper/noble/just plain careless. :)
Spencer B. Beavcoon chapter 1 . 8/24/2012
Exelent story my friend!
Emachinescat chapter 1 . 8/1/2012
Eeep! Loved. This. Found the link to this fic on the Ten Whump thread on Gate World Forum and adored it! Brilliant, and although I really don't like Martha, I thought that you made her in character and likeable, which is hard for me to imagine with that particular companion lol. Great job! :)
Zinfer chapter 1 . 11/20/2011
Wonderful fic. :) I love 10th doctor whumpage and u did quite a job of accomplishing that.
TonksftMemories chapter 1 . 9/1/2011
Very in character. And excellent whumpage :D
pisces317 chapter 1 . 6/29/2011
This was wonderful! You did a great job explaining how she felt while keeping them both IC. Great work!
BarafundleBay chapter 1 . 5/24/2011
This was amazing. Really, I LOVED this. You have a talent. Keep writing amazing stories! :)
46 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »