Reviews for Best He Knew How
ava87 chapter 1 . 6/10/2012
Thanks for this fic. I loved your portrayal of John.
Jen-2b chapter 1 . 4/27/2011
Me again ;)

Another really good story- thank you.

Even though I have to admit, that I never really understood Johns character, I liked your version.

It sure as hell is difficult to raise kids under such circumstances!

Keep up the great work

Greetings from Germany

Jen
rockyshadow chapter 1 . 3/15/2009
I hate John bashing too. I like how you showed his torment over the years. If he really had had a choice I highly doubt that he would have wanted any of them to get involved in the hunting business. I like that you had John go to Stanford to try to protect Sam. I never saw John as abusive and he was a loving father to both the boys. It's so sad when he gets the image of the guys as kids when they were off to get those vampires.
Mousitsa chapter 1 . 8/8/2007
I can’t thank you enough for this story! So many fics paint John as an alcoholic, abusive father, which irritates me to no end since there really isn’t anything in the canon that leans that way. From the little that has been presented, the ‘reality’ is most likely exactly as you presented it: he did the best he could under the circumstances. Sure, it’s only human that there would have been times of weakness with alcohol during the darkest hours or an occasional loss of temper with one or both of the boys, but not to the point of outright physical abuse, as some other fics portray where Dean is willingly taking a beating in order to prevent his father from touching his brother (I can’t tell you how much I hate those portrayals!) The eventual emotional ‘abuse’ (if you want to call it that) was an entirely different matter driven by the circumstances. I have a hard time understanding why some people just hate John and I'm really glad for the version you presented in your story.

You really did an excellent job conducting a life review through John’s perspective. The possible scenarios of his life with Mary and the boys’ youth were really well-thought out and very probable based on info of everyone’s personalities. The way you brought it full circle and tied it into those moments before “Devil’s Trap” was very clever indeed. Excellently done! Thank you for sharing.
WinchesterPhantom chapter 1 . 7/14/2007
ok so ive just read the entire dark horse serias and im like wow! u r such a good writer! u potrayed john beautifully!
waterlily85 chapter 1 . 7/10/2007
"On his first hunt, John started a tradition. Right before the hunt, while sitting in the Impala, he would talk to Mary. Twirling the wedding band on his finger, he would ask his late wife to look out for him so that their boys wouldn't become orphans. He begged Mary for strength, pleaded to make sure that their family was safe from harm's way. It was a habit, talking to his wife through his ring. Somehow, it always brought him ample amounts of comfort, comfort that usually his boys could only supply him."

I absolutly loved this. I love thsi series, keep up the great work.
tona234angel chapter 1 . 6/20/2007
awesome job
Sue Pokorny chapter 1 . 6/20/2007
I agree, John was the best father circumstancs allowed. I really liked your insight into his character. Nicely done.

Sue
Jayme chapter 1 . 6/20/2007
I like John. I love this story. It really shows another side of John.