Reviews for Counting Up, Counting Down
Anon chapter 1 . 7/1/2014
So beautiful. I loved every word!
writeforlove chapter 1 . 5/29/2014
Awesome, amazing, heartbreaking fic... I loved it!
punnylove chapter 1 . 1/8/2013
This is lovely. Please write more!
lenouchka chapter 1 . 4/5/2012
"Veronica's forgiving nature...that girl has never held a grudge in her life." Oww I love that sentence. Reminds me so much of the dream she had on her graduation day in season 2 when she is the Veronica that never lost Lilly and says: "So what, I'm trusting, sue me." Hilarious.

None of these characters are caricatures, you just get them and wrote it beautifully. Veronica's no sweet vapid innocent, Lilly's no heartless self-centered bitch and Duncan's no cheesy boring will-less guy, and I love how you put that. This is the grey area Rob Thomas would have had created, so thank you.
Maida chapter 1 . 3/28/2011
Wow. That was amazing. I love the detail, and the insight into the characters, and the lyrical flow of the writing. The way you captured all the emotions was perfect, breathtaking, and the relationships between all the characters was easy and natural, and just right.

The one little thing that I noticed - Santa Clause is Santa Claus, no 'e'.

But really, brilliant.
some blue december chapter 1 . 4/12/2010
Did he gain a reputation as a trouble maker and goof-off because of the bruises and busted lips and broken noses, or did he develop that personality to hide them? - That's one hell of a way to think of it but it makes sense.

They're good partners. Duncan has no real imagination or initiative, but he's more than willing to go along with whatever fantastic plot Lilly's concocted today. Lilly has no sense of proportion and couldn't be practical if her life depended on it, so it's up to Duncan to point out the impossible bits of her plan. - I really like this. Duncan is the yin to her yang :P

Lilly was the first one in her grade to be the slightest bit interested in boys. - Heh, funny that.

Veronica, all knees and pigtails and quiet smiles in her soccer uniform; - Love the reference.

Logan is sobbing so hard that Duncan suspects he can't breathe either, and that's scarier than anything. After all the nights when Logan would show up at the Kane house in the middle of the night, climbing through Duncan's bedroom window, shirtless because his back was far too raw to handle the brush of cotton, dry-eyed and sarcastic, Duncan never ever expected to see his best friend shattered and weak in front of so many. - This whole paragraph just tugs at my heart.

Logan had never understood how Lilly and Veronica, who spent almost every waking moment together anyways, could have so much to talk about—could lock themselves in Lilly's bedroom with nail polish and Avril Lavigne albums and a bowl of popcorn and talk and talk and talk for hours and hours and hours. - Lol, it really is such a girl thing.

It isn't fair that, when she's zoned out, numbed by pain, her legs automatically lead her to Lilly's locker between classes. - The bit about Lilly's locker paints a great picture. Depressing, but great. Everyone elses life is moving on (except Logan and Duncan, obviously), and Veronica is still stuck on Lilly as though she is expecting her in her everyday life.

This kinda blew me away. Lol, it was posted almost three years ago, but that's no the point. You're use of numbers at the beginning of each scene was really great and so original. It took me longer than it probably should have to realise it wasn't just counting up and down - as the title suggests - but it also went for the scene - who was in it and who they were with. If anyone. I've seen plenty of fics in this format (though I still cannot write in this format to save my life) but I've never seen one with this kind of originality. I love it.
SushiChica chapter 1 . 1/4/2010
You have some truly incredible works to your name. I usually avoid angst because it is so often butchered in fanfictions, but you clearly understand how to pull it off without making it a giant crying emofest. There's something visceral and disturbingly beautiful about what you write, and I love every moment of it.

Alien Altered chapter 1 . 9/7/2008
Awesome I love it!
hippogriffs chapter 1 . 11/4/2007
"They’re watercolors, not oils, and they bleed into each other and create new colors and it’s useless to wonder where one ends and the other begins."

that was beautiful, loved, loved, loved it.
michellio chapter 1 . 10/10/2007
That was...amazing. Simply amazing.

I especially loved the Duncan parts.

Great job!
Hcrobe0 chapter 1 . 8/10/2007
I almost never read oneshot fics, but this one was fantastic and I'm glad I did. I never thought what V must have envisioned down the road for the foursome, but houses side by side and fair-haired cousins to play with sounds like the perfect dream, espcially for an only child.
softhallelujahs chapter 1 . 7/29/2007
So great. You got their voices so well. Def. going into my favorites.
enchantedlight chapter 1 . 6/26/2007
loved it! it captured everyone perfectly!
IamRomance chapter 1 . 6/26/2007
i love it it was brilliant so sad and even made me tear up(but i dare to say i am a baby like that lmao)but i is an awesome story ur writting skills are incredible great job!
canthereisto chapter 1 . 6/26/2007
That, I still don't have words for just how amazing this fic is. Honestly, it was just so amazing. I love the depth you put into each character, the building up of their relationship as a harmonious quartet and the decline into a quaver and a crochet. It just works so well. I've never really truly considered the backgrounds and needs with these characters, but the way you've put it together makes sense.

First off, the first Logan section; I could totally imagine him always being a sort of problem child, needing attention, masking the scars by buying a smartass from an early age. You've created this nine year old Logan that meshes so well with showLogan, as if we can see him growing up. This is something I felt with each character here, but particularly Logan.

I've never really felt anything but ambivalent towards Duncan, but you explained his placid nature and ease at being content so well. A detail I loved was that Lily was the one to calm him down after having an 'episode' as you put it. That sentence was so soft, it really conveyed the close relationship between the siblings.

The Lily section, focusing on how she needs both Duncan and Veronica, is exactly how I picture her approaching life, counting on a very select few. That it starts so early, that she notices Veronica because she answered back, is so very very Lilly. Earlier in Duncan's section, you said her favourite words were , "I've got a secret" I loved that you integrated that here, because I've always thought of Lilly has being a kind of compulsive gossip, needing to keep in touch with everyone's lives. Also, this line her: "They’re a mismatched trio, walking through the halls at school: Veronica, all knees and pigtails and quiet smiles in her soccer uniform; Duncan, looking more like a neatly-pressed future-president-in-training than a schoolboy; and Lilly, color and laughter and limelight walking between them." I just adored it because it fits their pre-Lilly'smurder personalities so well. There's such a lyrical quality to your writing and it really shows here.

In Veronica's first section, at the very end, she talks about that little naive dream of the future that she knows won't happen. That she's well aware that things like their gang of four don't last forever is such a lovely touch, because it does seem that Veronica's subconscience has been setting her up to deal with the fallout.

The idea of locking themselves in the poolhouse for three days..just wow. I loved the detail you put in, that they avoid the tv, that they get as close to each other as they possibly can, because without that they're fall apart even worse than before. The detail about Logan crying at Lilly's funeral but never at his abuse, is something I could see happening. Again it's another place where this almost musical quality to your writing shines through.

The second Logan section...well, if I didn't already love Logan, I would now. You write this broken, uncertain side of him so well. I love the way you described that Logan never had to explain anything to Duncan, because he just knew; that without Lilly they grow apart and no longer understand each other. The paragraph concerning Logan and Veronica is so well done, that's exactly how I see him approaching the seeming betrayal. And this:

"But they never talk.

They don’t know how." Two short simple sentences that indicate so much.

And that entire last Veronica section, just worked so well. That's a repetative sentiment I know, but you really got inside her head. I love that she finally truly breaks down over sitting alone at lunch. The way you describe the change from peppyVeronica to Veronica now was lovely. The idea that

" maybe, her subconscious has been preparing her for this all along, and that’s how she transforms so quickly—she’s been storing up survival tactics in the back of her mind for years.

Because it was too perfect to last. And she always knew she’d end up like this."

So much love for that and this fic. This makes me so glad I'm starting to immerse myself in VMfic. Even if it's a little late...