Reviews for The Ballad of Odo
Her Fantasy chapter 1 . 5/6/2009
Odo review number 8 (see my review for Nimbus 1944's if confused):

Oh, I love this! It's humorous, it's cleverly written, it's got great rhythm. I love the ending: "turned them both idle and squat" - very nice repetition! I also like the sweet justice of it all. Odo was a bit egotistical; I guess he got what he deserved! It's a wonderful twist, having him killed by an unexpected enemy.

I read the reviews of previous Odo tales, and in your reviews you seemed to be under the impression that you couldn't write one of these successfully. Well, let me tell you something - you're wrong! You did a fantastic job!
folk chapter 1 . 9/25/2008
HAHAHAHAHAHA

I love it. Love it love it. You really should be a fiction writer (seriously. I'll buy your stuff.)

Oh, I'm working on a coming-to-England plan for next year, so we will have to actually get coffee. Or tea. ;)
Alex the Anachronistic chapter 1 . 4/2/2008
That was among the better Odo poems I've read. Good work.
stella8h8chang chapter 1 . 3/30/2008
Wonderful use of canon as inspiration here, just taking a single song title from JKR and turning it into a whole story. Also liked the subtle Glumble Glumbumble linkage.

And as a fellow poet, I totally understand how hard it is to find rhymes, but the "I'm sniffing out fear" made me cringe a bit. It definitely is a cool image...but...perhaps if you wanted the same sound, "snuffing" might work better because of the connotations? But then again, it's just something really, really minor...

Because, I just LOVE the ending. It's a perfect JKR-esque fairytale end, and the ring composition is superb ("idle and squat" indeed). So clever!
Mrs. Touchstone chapter 1 . 10/25/2007
I LOVE IT thats amazing, really creative
Wendlaa chapter 1 . 9/7/2007
This was incredible! So creative and amusing! Excellent job!
Obelisk of Light chapter 1 . 8/5/2007
Great poem, and a very humorous one too! This reminds me of Sam's Troll song in the LotR book. Good job with the style too, you've taken enough care to make it sound old. My advice would be to try to submit this to MNFF's poetry section because its quality is great. Good luck, Vicki!
SuGaRLiLy chapter 1 . 7/11/2007
Oh gosh! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get to this.

This is fabulous and so cleverly crafted. I'm astounded at your creativity- I would never have thought of this. Despite the fact that this is a ballad, you manage to get some really great gems of description here. I loved the idea of the villagers of Glumble as 'idle and squat', and the fact that Odo was 'lively and lean'. Just the basic words you choose are PERFECT for this piece. It all flows so amazingly well that I'm astounded.

The humor in this was great, too. I read this twice- once to myself and then out loud to my sister, and both times I cracked up laughing. There's such a natural transition of emotion here, though. It's much more humorous at the beginning, but by the end, we're left with this rather sad tale of a tragic hero. At first, I thought Odo was going to be done in by the Chimaera, so the fact that they were BOTH squished by a giant (I'm not going to lie, I laughed a little at your description of the giant; it was just too funny and great) came as a complete surprise to me. What's more, it all fuses so seamlessly with JKR's last stanza of the ballad. If I hadn't known, I would've assumed that you'd written the last stanza since you did such an awesome job of replicating the meter and syntax and such.

Odo undergoes such great development here as well. He starts out as a baby, as Odo the Odd, and slowly, he progresses (becoming a little bit worse before he gets better) to finally become Odo the Hero. He was presented as such a likeable character, that you can't help but feel sorry for the poor guy. What a way to go- you're fighting a deadly beast and you're so engrossed in the battle, you get trampled by a giant.

I really truly adored this. I did. It read like a Dr. Seuss book to me- especially that bit which said that "Odo had Odo-ish plans". Fabulous, excellent, amazing job on this overall. I couldn't say one bad thing about it if I tried!
Sera dy Relandrant chapter 1 . 6/30/2007
Lol, very funny. Odo...I don't remember him (but I suppose he was in the song) but as he serves as good entertainment I don't really mind. Lovely - it put me in mind of that song at Nick's Deathday Party.
Ducky1414 chapter 1 . 6/28/2007
this is so clever!

VERY good job!
Miranda Took chapter 1 . 6/27/2007
I think...this is one of the best Odo poems that matches fully with Rowling's closing stanza...it's comic, and it's sad. It starts very funnily..and then- the last 2 lines of the 4th stanza- so satiric! Odo is heroic and yet the poem is funny...Nice work!
Mamacita-san chapter 1 . 6/27/2007
oh, chicklet...odo may be a nuthead, but i tell you true: it taketh one to know one! nice job. love how you tied in the last verse there!
Starred Signature chapter 1 . 6/27/2007
Inkandpaper, well done, well done,

Another Odo tale-teller!

I must say this is marvelous

you, m'dear, could be a best seller!
Ember Nickel chapter 1 . 6/27/2007
The perils of reckless bravado are clear

But while it lasted, it was fun.

If only Gogum and the Chimaera'd killed

Each other off, he could have won.

But obviously, such things are not to be.

We're bound by the fate that we know

Working backwards from there, to determine the rest:

The life (mostly death) of Odo.
Nimbus 1944 chapter 1 . 6/27/2007
A fine tale! Welcome to the select group of Odo Scribes!

Twas soul versus sole, and the latter won out,

And poor Odo's career was squashed flat,

For he and his foe never finished their bout -

With Gogum afoot, that was that.