Reviews for What Shall I Call You?
the lycans chapter 4 . 11/25/2007
Brilliant. update soon!
Arhani 'Hanny' Daforcena chapter 4 . 11/10/2007
Hmm, Aldor sounds more like someone from Gondor to me. People from Rohan, especially during Thengel's reign, hardly speaks any language outside of their own...

Very engaging story, by the way. LOVE IT!
lindahoyland chapter 4 . 11/8/2007
I loved the image of Aragorn almost brought in by the north wind.
Girlbird chapter 4 . 11/5/2007
I absolutely adore this. You write very well and I've never read anything like this before. Update soon!
Ranchi Blade chapter 4 . 11/5/2007
Can not say much, I think its intresting and good
eiluj chapter 4 . 11/4/2007
I very much liked the way you used the north wind.

Rohan is a new experience for Aragorn: new land, new culture, new language. It would be nice to see more of his reaction to and analysis of the land and people - as well as the king he’s committed to serving.

"Aragorn gave a shout to Heorl when his eyes caught on a moving shadow in the distance. 'Up ahead! We’re but a few leagues away!'" - Karen Forstad's analysis of distances in Middle-earth (in her Atlas of Middle-earth) confirms that Tolkien's league is equivalent to three miles. A few leagues? Could Aragorn see even two leagues (six miles) in the dark?

There are three problems here. First, because of the earth's curvature, to a tall man on horseback, the horizon is only about 6 miles (2 leagues) away [see en. wikipedia wiki/Horizon for how to calculate this]. Note that when Aragorn and Legolas saw Éomer's éored from 5 leagues away, they were atop a hill at the time, able to see much farther than Aragorn would have seen from atop his horse.

Second problem: Even with the half-moon visible (when the clouds aren’t in the way), it's dark. How far can you see - out in the country, away from the lights of civilization - in conditions like that? Of course, if the Dunlendings had been carrying torches, that would have been a different matter!

Third problem: Aragorn really *doesn't* have Elvish eyesight. Again, that scene in “The Riders of Rohan.” Aragorn saw “a dark swift-moving blur.” Legolas counted all 105 in the éored, and noted their spears, the color of their hair, and Éomer’s height.

"Without once causing any discomfort or resurface of pain" - Unfortunately, “resurface” is a verb (transitive: to provide with a new or fresh surface; intransitive: to come again to the surface [as of water]; broadly: reappear), not a noun as you have used it here. You might mean "resurgence" (a rising again into life, activity, or prominence : renascence).

Then again, you might mean “resurfacing.” I don’t find that at Merriam-Webster online [w w w. m-w. com], but it appears a zillion times on the Web; everything I saw was in the sense of the transitive verb (“provide with a new or fresh surface” in medical or construction situations). If the intransitive verb has an equivalent noun (and it seems perfectly logical), it would mean “reappearing,” and that might also be what you’re after here.

Write on!
eiluj chapter 2 . 11/4/2007
"Elendil…your forefather who preceded you almost two thousand years ago." That should be "almost *three* thousand years" - as you have correctly a couple of paragraphs later.

"And so Aragorn stepped onto the path destined for him from the beginning of Arda" - Very nice!
eiluj chapter 1 . 11/4/2007
A lovely idea for a series. This chapter is unusual (compared to other fanfics) in that the idea to move to Rivendell comes from Gilraen (or perhaps another of the Dúnedain) rather than from the Twins or Elrond.

"The young Dúnadan woman" - I believe that should be "Dúnedain woman." Yes, Gilraen is only one person, but her people are the "Dúnedain," so that is used as the adjective.

"The still-sore wounds of grief panged in her heart" - I didn't think "pang" could be a verb, but you're right, it is: "to cause to have pangs : torment." However, it's a *transitive* verb, so it requires a direct object: the wounds of grief might pang *Gilraen* or pang *her heart* but they can't pang *in her heart* because that's a prepositional phrase rather than a direct object.

Write on!
Calenlass Greenleaf chapter 4 . 11/4/2007
I thought this was wonderful. Your explanation for every name-it was very nice. I enjoyed every tale.

Regards,

Calenlass
twin03 chapter 4 . 11/4/2007
Nicely done. This is an enjoyable story. The level of detail is just right for the story - much more and you would get bogged down in the individual scenes, and less would leave it feeling empty. I'll look forward to more!
lindahoyland chapter 3 . 8/24/2007
A very vivid glimpse of how Aragorn got one of his most famous names.A shame the Rangers are so little appreciated. Good luck at college, I hope you enjoy it and are happy there.
BellaCordelia chapter 3 . 8/23/2007
Just ran across your story. I really like how you're going at this in such a unique manner!
grumpy123 chapter 3 . 8/20/2007
Great one, actually Strider is a good name, for someone who good about in a hurry and has long legs to get him there.
Anduniel chapter 3 . 8/18/2007
Nicely done - love your OC's
Sarahbarr17 chapter 3 . 8/18/2007
Excellent story. Well done!

Happy writing!