Reviews for The Long Winter
Scarlet Pimpernel00 chapter 1 . 2/16/2014
Poor F'ren. I now understand some of Sh'vek's feelings towards him, but not all.
Pat Macken chapter 1 . 11/15/2013
Thanks for directing me here on the backstroke of F'ren regarding "the story Regicide". It makes more sense now though it seems to create some apparent spoilers for that story...
Morgan5318 chapter 1 . 1/6/2008
Wow. Angst, yes, but so well done. This was a very good story, and I enjoyed it, even though it made me want to cry. Such a loss, and such a burden to be borne for so long. Even though this was a fairly short piece, the characters were well-defined and interesting. You did an amazing job developing the personalities considering it's a one-shot. I really would like to know more about F'ren, but my imagination can fill in the gap fairly well. His was not a very happy life, most likely, but I'd like to think he found some good things now and then. Nicely done.
twinklewind chapter 1 . 7/7/2007
Nice story, had me go and read Paying the Price and In the Dark Watches of the Night.

Both intricate, like this one, capturing Weyr politics with exact detail without ever being blunt. Great talent.

These stories are really unique, and I think there's definitely potential.

I like F'ren, not much details about his personality (other than ambition), more like pieces to put together. Makes you wonder though, when you read about his handling of Cloudburst, suicide wing, and his survival, how resourceful and a leader he is, despite his seeming modesty and naivete as a weyrling. His relationship with Rahnis, as well. Just realizing who he's told his story to.

Brilliant.

)twinklewind

p.s. the "brother and sister" part...is that in a draconic sense? Was Aminek and Audrealle's deaths caused by the fall out?
Amere Mortal chapter 1 . 7/2/2007
I don't think is was so full of angst as such. With proddy dragons bonded to young, inexperienced riders, it was more that normal emotions were being amplified because of the dragons mating instincts.

I am surprised that the weyrwoman was sent off as sick as she was, rather than both younger queens being sent elsewhere for their flights.