Reviews for Not Second Best
chisazu chapter 1 . 6/17/2014
I love it, very in character, as if I really read the manga itself. I love it even more 'cause in this fic you made Mello not just as the second best.
jaa

-chisa
Thiefheart chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
I just realized I didn't review for this story when I read it! But it's never too late right? :D
I love this story! It's touching how Mello looked up to L that much! I think you portrayed all of the character's personalities correctly and perfectly! Keep on writing! XD
melodramaticglassescharacter chapter 1 . 9/2/2012
Oh my God, that was so sweet! I loved it! I ended up hugginh my computer, that was so cute. Well done!
Gothic-Romantic99 chapter 1 . 10/10/2011
Aww, sweet story. You've caputred how much Mello idolizes L so well here.

Gosh, I feel so bad for Mello, he tries so hard and gives it his all while Near doesn't and he still only scores second place. I know how that feels. It's good to see that L doesn't only care about test scores. He has so much more personality than Near.

The scene between L and Mello is well done. They are both in character. The flashback to when Mello fell, but refused to cry, is a nice addition to the story. The ending where they go to eat cake is so sweet. That alone shows that L likes Mello more than Near.

Good work with this story.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/27/2011
Really really great fic!

I agree with you; I think L was closer to Mello than Near. Also I honestly don't like Near much. Even though L rarely showed much emotion, he still had that certain thing to his personality which made him a person. Especially that rain scene... (anime) Near was just blank the whole time, another copy of L, even saying that he was better than L at the end. I don't think he liked L very much, and only wanted to surpass him. Mello was a real character. :)

Anyway, great story! Everyone was in character?
Pretty Little Problems chapter 1 . 8/6/2009
I think L was closer to Mello also, but I think another contributing factor was that Near didn't acctually like L.
Trish chapter 1 . 4/10/2009
Or maybe L only shared the BB Murder case to Mello because he didn't want him to think he was second best to Near? But then L wasn't the type to give much care about anyone and yet for some strange reason, he was comfortable enough with Mello that he was able to share that particular case to him. Ha! It could only mean one thing: He MUST like him enough to do it! Yup, he likes him. Likes him over Near!XD
DreamaDove93 chapter 1 . 7/30/2008
why would that be? maybe though, good fic really cute and interesting
Riku-Rocks chapter 1 . 3/15/2008
This was a very nice peice. I have not been able to read the novel yet, but just from the characters int he manga, I would think it would be hard for L and Near to bond, as they both are rather lacking in social skills are do not express their emotions well. At least Mello would encourage L to talk and express himself to the older boy/man. The pace and characterisation here is great, and th estyle was excellent. Wel done.
l0onyl0opylupin chapter 1 . 1/14/2008
I love Lfanboy!Mello with a love that is deep and true.

This fic makes me smile. It also makes me angst, but then it all works out and I'm back to smiling. X)
DrewMayShipper chapter 1 . 1/1/2008
Even though I don't really like Mello as much as I like Near, I have to admit that this does open my eyes up a little more. This was written quite well and I like how well you wrote everyone's personalities down. This story was definitely to stumble upon and read (: I wish you good luck with the rest of your other fanfiction and future fanfictions!
Kerink chapter 1 . 11/26/2007
I thought it was really good. Everyone seemed in character. I totally thought Mello was going to cry when he saw his test scores XD Poor guy.
Anon chapter 1 . 11/4/2007
It was so good chocolate caek and happiness are oozing through my veins now.

Thank you kindly.
Micuko chapter 1 . 11/4/2007
Who cares that Near has 500 and Mello 499? Near is cold, small and stupit, but Mello is fire Mello is so much better, love that fic, great job
Cooper Writer Crafter chapter 1 . 9/24/2007
This is beatiful. The emotion is real. The paragraphs justified how Mello really does love L as an idol and friend. I like how he wanted to please him. You hit the jakpot, dear! The sweet moment where L remembers the one thing they have in common. I could just picture them gluttonous over a bunch of sweets. Thank you. You made me smile. I almost cried too. This is genius, I say!

-Cooper-