Reviews for In Memorium
Violet Tan chapter 7 . 5/21/2015
I love the ending so much! Thank you for such a great story! It's so beautiful, the best Valjean/Javert fan fiction I have ever seen.
Violet Tan chapter 6 . 5/21/2015
This is a nice chapter, love the idea of a spectre Inspector Javert.
Violet Tan chapter 4 . 5/21/2015
Oh my god this chapter is so well done! I was so sad when reading about Valjean crying, and I felt like crying myself after reading the last sentence...
Violet Tan chapter 3 . 5/21/2015
I love this story and I love this chapter. Valjean's struggle between his instinct, conscience, and logic is quite interesting. This is so sad and beautiful.
smaller chapter 7 . 4/21/2012
This is without a doubt one of the best things I have ever read. Thank you so much for writing and sharing it. "Cheated" is exactly how I felt too at never seeing Valjean's reaction to Javert not coming back. And his reaction to Javert's obituary was... disappointing, to say the least.

You wrote something beautiful and touching, a wonderful study in Valjean's thought processes that I think are absolutely spot-on. And I admit it makes me very happy to imagine Javert's shade discovering that somebody cared about him.

You and this story are definitely going into my favorites. Absolutely wonderful.
D.L chapter 7 . 8/2/2009
Oh my God, what perfection. Not too sweet, not too earnest to maintain character. Just the perfect amount of complexity one must have when creating such an unimaginable, hypothetical situation. It was perfect. In my mind, this is what happened in the book.

At first I was like, shit Javert's being too un-Javert and mean. But then I thought about it and really, after Valjean came to his grave and spilled his heart out and everything, saying most likely things he never would've told him in life, and along with the absolute humility-inducing slap of being literally dead, I believe that this IS in fact more or less how Javert would have acted. So I'm really impressed, to say the least. This was good. Very good.
Bramblefox chapter 7 . 7/27/2008
*dies laughing* Oh man, that's just priceless. Finally! Some JavertPOV! By the way, what's 'gadzo' mean? Is it French? And the wineshop and haunting is just fantastic. These stories are just fantastic. And I'm terribly sad that this is the last chapter. I'm trying to cut back on how many favorite lines I have, so here's one of my all-time faves:

'The tone, Javert decided as he got to his feet and straightened his jacket, was far from insulting. Therefore, he didn’t use one of the two-hundred-and-fifty-three replies that he had used when asked said question in varying tones of disgusted horror by the other inhabitants of the non-corporal world.'

*finally realizes that the fic is really, truly over* Waah!
Bramblefox chapter 6 . 7/27/2008
'Javert rocked back on his heels and fished around in his pocket. String… what had he wanted that for again? Several scraps of paper with nigh-on illegible notes ‘seventy-six acorns’ ‘spiders in the ceiling, this one’ and ‘the horses are running’. Damned if he knew what any of them had meant. One day he would finally rid himself of the infuriating tendency of writing notes to himself in a code that no longer made any sense several hours later.

A piece of cloth from an old overcoat. A handful of small change. The peel from an orange. Two very small nuts, which he would probably have gotten around to eating someday. A dusting of wood shavings… now where had he picked that up?'

*giggles insanely* Love it love it love it! So Javert's a minor pack rat, eh? His codes are hilarious, and I just love the whole chapter as soon as Javert makes an appearance. Nice how Javert swears that if Marius doesn't take care of Cosette the former will. Odd sense of responsibility, I guess. *salutes* Brava!
Bramblefox chapter 5 . 7/27/2008
'If you were… oh… built like a horse with the strength to match, and therefore didn’t need to worry about whatever criminals might and probably were lurking in the rancid shadows, then night-time in Paris was quite lovely.' Love it! And Unsaintly!Valjean is so human, for lack of a better phrase. He's easier to relate to, instead of being...I don't know...unhumanly good or whatever. I need to analyze Les Mis again...
Bramblefox chapter 4 . 7/27/2008
I really, really like Valjean's reaction to Javert's death here. In the book he's like 'Oh, glad that's over', which is very unsatisfactory considering Javert had haunted him for about twenty years. Brava. *applauds*
Bramblefox chapter 3 . 7/27/2008
Favorite lines:

'However, his knees pointed out, they weren't feeling up to much leaping and striding these days. They might possibly be able to manage a slow stagger and potter, but they'd prefer a little more warning before-hand.' *dies laughing*

'If Valjean had been asked, he would have said that he was bloody confused and left it at that.' *gets up from laughing at the other line, sees above line, and falls over again*

'It didn't help being full of the heaviest soufle ever created on God's good earth.' Sorry Cosette, you can be the prettiest girl ever, but your cooking just isn't up to snuff. No pun intended, of course.

'Instinct warred with Conscience while Logic sat in a corner and gibbered.' Oh dear, that's just priceless.
Bramblefox chapter 2 . 7/27/2008
'He truly was a few students short of a revolution.' Hilarious! I about died laughing. Now I'm going to read the rest of this.
Bramblefox chapter 1 . 7/27/2008
Valjean's arguing with his conscience is wonderful. Your description is superb. And the fact that Valjean is still instincively looking for Javert is a very nice touch. I'm sure that all my excessive adulation is getting rather old, but your stories are so lovely that I can't NOT review this way. *bows*
Yamx chapter 7 . 7/21/2008
Wonderful story! I love the hug, and Javert's insecurity ("How long was one meant to hold on for? [...] Was this normal?" - LOL). I also thoroughly enjoyed Valjean talking to the grave and the emotional scene in the kitchen. Your characterizations are amazing!

So, what else is in Javert's pockets? *g*
AmZ chapter 7 . 6/29/2008
‘Bless me father, for I have sinned. I’ve lied to my adopted daughter and an entire nunnery.’

Excellent line.

It's funny how many people who ultimately decide to write a Javert/Valjean survival-and-reconciliation story gravitate to the idea that everything between them could be made all right if they just sat down together in a bar. Bars. They bring people together. :))
48 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »