Reviews for The Road Beyond
labsquint chapter 1 . 7/23/2007
I really like the way you described how Brennan's leaving as something that had been slowly building and then describing some of the episodic forces that triggered her decision to leave.

My favourite line in the whole fic has to be: "And she knew he would be there waiting when she got back." Great closing line. Although, if this really happened, I think Booth would go after her, not just leave her out there on her own, but that's the great thing about leaving something like this open ended - the possibilities of how if resolves are many and varied.

Well written and a great take on the song; it really suits the mood of the piece!
bb-4ever chapter 1 . 7/23/2007
great shot. she really loves booth doesnt she but is so scared of losing him that she won't let them be together. give yourself a chance bones! good shot enjoyed her emotional roller coster. look forward to other fics from you.
amobd chapter 1 . 7/9/2007
Very interesting idea...come to think of it this is one way things could go from now on. She has been through a lot, especially for somebody who has hidden inside her scientific shell for so long. And the silent, powerful, increasing intensity in her partnership with Booth can feel to her like a tidal wave coming closer and closer to engulf her. And him being there, intimately tied to everything that had happened to her during the last year must feel almost like her life was no longer hers, but everyone else’s, especially in some way his.

She feels she had changed, that he and life have changed her and she probably doesn’t know anymore who or what exactly she has become. And your idea is a very good one..looking for her roots and having some time alone would help her redefine herself, not in loneliness as before but this time with ties , strong ties but a strong individual nevertheless. She probably needs to prove to herself that she can be, can live and find meaning without him:-)

Lovely way to describe her, because it does not feel as if she is running away from things but rather as if she is running towards herself :-) I like the Brennan you picture very much!

Loved the song….one of the many road songs that just make you hit the highway for some days.
Splendid31 chapter 1 . 7/8/2007
This was actually quite refreshing! I love the fact that you had her taking off in the night and not having some sort of drawn-out confrontation with Booth over whether she should go alone or not. (Of course, the shipper in me liked the last line!)

I listened to the song while I read the story and it fit perfectly. You worked in aspects of the show very nicely-I could see this scene being played out in a show and accompanied by the song.

I particularly liked the following:

"There were too many things to think about, too many emotions that she had pushed down for so long. They threatened to overwhelm her, she felt that if she started, they would come pouring out of her and drown her."

It works really well as a one-shot but I think you could expand it farther, explore her self-discovery? Either way, good job!
Ampersand Ellipsis chapter 1 . 7/7/2007
Cool...excited for more!
BandBfan24 chapter 1 . 7/7/2007
Willi, that was absolutely beautiful. You did a great job, as always. You've got that angst thing down pat, don't ya Princess T?

)bandi
niah1988 chapter 1 . 7/7/2007
Oh Willi, you wrote an entry! Thank you thank you thank you!

I've read the reviews you've got so far and I have to agree with my fellow challenge/campaign manager - the usage of little references to episodes makes this one-shot all the more real. Brennan felt in character and your story flowed nicely.

I don't know if Booth would let her go alone on the search of herself (that's my inner BB shipper bunny talking) but it's certainly something different to read. Me likey! (likey, not lickey LOL) I also liked the title - The Road Beyond - very intriguing.

Nice job, Willi! I hope you're going to participate again next month.
pologrmgrl chapter 1 . 7/7/2007
wow that was very good as always... loved it...
jemb chapter 1 . 7/7/2007
Thanks for embracing the challenge! I'm glad you decided to write a story for it. And what a story!

I liked the direction you took, taking Brennan and leading her down a different path, away from what she knows into something new where she might find out more about herself. I particularly liked that she went alone on her search but knew that what she left behind would still be there.

Your analysis of her thoughts was really good. She didn't outright admit she loved Booth but she acknowledged that he was a huge part of her life and she needed him (big BB shipper).

I also liked the subtle references to the actual episodes. It's hard to explain but when I see a reference to an episode in a story, it makes the story more real and like an actual episode. I think its because in stories you can get carried away with the characters but being reminded of episodes always draws me back.

Listening to Rain as I read your story brought a while new meaning to the song . The same thing happened when I read the other entries. You have definately met the challenge Niah and I set, and I'm so glad we did, because this is a fantastic one shot. Thanks for sharing.
trosiak chapter 1 . 7/7/2007
Great song and great scene there Willie! I could picture the whole thing AND I love how you tied everything in because it just felt so real. :-)