Reviews for Burden
Sammyscougar chapter 24 . 7/9/2012
Oh Wow... Had trouble putting my laptop down, eagerly wanting to know more, while hanging on the edge of my lounge. Sam & Dean have such an extraordinary bond, that they would go to the ends of the Earth and beyond, to save each other. Loved Bobby's response to "We're all on the same side" with "Clearly, No. We're over here & you're other there. NOW GET OUT. Lmao as I pictured Missouri giving Sam & Dean a dressing down about fixing the problem between them. You certainly got Dean & Missouri's relationship spot on. Lol when Dean yelled to Sam "Get your Pansy Ass back here NOW SAMMY! As Missouri smacked him on the back of the head. The line "Sammy doesn't live here anymore" sent a chill down my spine. Yet another Lmao moment Bobby "Your face looks like a Kaleidoscope". Dean " My Idea of Camouflage " just great. Sam being on the wrong end of the Colt, nooooooo, heartbreaking. Thanks for the awesome read and emotional roller coaster ride that went with it. I am now going to continue the ride with your sequel. I better hold on tight to my lounge, I feel a bumpy ride coming. Beers & Cheers... )
Dragon Mistress Syal chapter 24 . 12/15/2010
Good job! I look forward to reading the sequel.
SophieSaulie chapter 11 . 8/31/2007
AWESOME CHAPTER! ACTION PACKED! I was on the EDGE of my set the ENTIRE time, willing my eyes to read faster. I LOVED the Bobby moments and of course the Sam and Dean ones. It was just WONDERFUL! Dean's assertions of trust and faith were FANTASTIC! I think I'm running out of adjectives. This one is another VERY hard one to pick favs from because I LOVED all of it, but I'll include the ones that JUST BLEW ME AWAY! But know the whole thing was WONDERFUL! I'm repeating myself again.

Fav. Parts:

“Are you doing that?” Dean asked. Another realization hit him. “Did you blow out the kitchen windows too?”

Sam gasped and sat down quickly, as if his legs had instantly lost all ability to support him. The items were still again as quickly as they began shaking. Was Dean right? Had it been him?

- I LOVE that Dean makes these connections!

Dean looked at his little brother and clenched and unclenched his jaw.

“Bobby!” Dean called to the older man.

“Yeah, Dean?” Bobby asked as he re-entered the room.

“Sam and I are leaving. What do you have to protect him?” Dean said.

Bobby looked back and forth from Dean and Sam.

“You’re joking, right? I told you that Roger and the others are coming. They have something big that they couldn’t talk about over the phone. I could really use your input,” Bobby said.

“I'm sorry, Bobby, but we have to leave before the hunters come,” Sam said, looking at Dean.

“Before? Why?” Bobby asked.

“I don’t know. I just feel it. Please,” Sam insisted.

- I JUST LOVE Dean's implicit trust in Sam's pleadings. You can feel his protective misgivings, but goes with what Sam is feeling.

“Sam, you stay here. I’ll get our stuff. Don’t move and don’t start levitating furniture around, okay? I don’t have any money left to pay Bobby after the windows,” Dean joked. Sam smiled and Dean felt like he had just caused a small miracle himself.

- I LOVE that Dean is always trying to diffuse a tense situation with humor. It's my favorite Dean trait!

“Give them all to Sam, I don’t need anything else,” Dean said.

-OH, this is SO like Dean to sacrifice any protection and give it to Sam! I LOVED THIS!

“Sam, these are for you," Bobby explained as he pulled out three more amulets, each on black cords as well. "This is a turtle amulet. It helps one stay invisible to others on the astral plane. This amulet is of the sun, a universal symbol worn to oppose its shadow, dark energy of all kinds. This last one here is a Celtic Amulet of Suli, depicting the Sun Goddess in a halo of flames. She protects against spiritual weakness. Wear them in good health."

- Love this Bobby expertise, arming Sam up with amulets!

"Well, we won't fail, so we'll be giving these back to you real soon," Dean said quickly, as if sensing Sam's fear.

-OH! Yet again, a WONDERFUL boost of confidence. Who would ever defy that assurance?

“I'll always be here for you boys, you know that. Just do what you got to do. Dean, talk to you soon, right?” The older man held out his hand.

“You got it, Bobby,” Dean said as he shook the older man's hand and then pulled him into a hug. Bobby had become like a surrogate father for them both. “You watch yourself,” Dean warned.

- LOVE THIS! I've always viewed Bobby this day from day one!

“Been doing that since before you graced the Earth with your presence, son. Ain’t gonna stop now, so don’t worry about me. Now get the hell out of here,” Bobby said with a smile.

-HILARIOUS! You have Bobby's voice perfectly here!

“I’m scared, Dean,” Sam said softly. Dean clenched his jaw again. He knew that if his brother was admitting that to him, Sam must be completely terrified.

“I’m scared too, but I won’t let anything happen to you, remember? You made a promise to save me and you can't do that if you're dead.” Dean slowed as he neared the property line.

-Brotherly love! Sniffle! And that unwavering Dean humor!

“Sam? What should I do? Turn back around?” Dean said, panic in his voice. This was totally new territory here. He'd have to add some new chapters to his dad's journal after this.

-Oh, this harked me back to All Hell Breaks Loose when Dean cried out "What am I supposed to do?" There aren't many times that you would find Dean utterly helpless like that!

AWESOME! Didn't I already say that?
sendintheclowns chapter 24 . 8/30/2007
You're evil to leave us hanging there! You've left a very nice set up for the next story. As much as I enjoyed Burden, I'm really looking forward to finding out what's wrong with unresponsive Sam in your next story.
SophieSaulie chapter 10 . 8/30/2007
This chapter was a wonderful combination of really scary to a serene desire for comfort from mom and dad. I loved the scene of Mary and John together with Sam as a baby, Dean sleeping away in another room, it is just the kind of normal, perfect family life that Sam has always desired so it's all the more poignant that it's interrupted so violently. I really felt for Sam here. It was great! I, too, just wanted it to be all over for him so that he can have peace of mind again. Excellent!

Fav. Parts:

“Well, like I said before, mental mediumship involves communication between spirits and the medium. The medium mentally “hears”, “sees”, and “feels” messages from spirits. The book goes on to describe the definitions of the psychic senses according to the spiritualists,” Bobby said as he opened the book to a bookmarked section about half way through.

“Here,” he said, pointing to the text. “This section talks about one of the psychic senses, clairvoyance. Mediums with this ability can see things that are not actually there through the 'mind’s eye.' Apparently some mediums discover this ability without difficulty, while others must train their minds with the aid of spiritual helpers. Some mediums see a spirit as though it has a physical body. Other mediums see a spirit in their 'mind’s eye' as if it was a movie or photograph.” Bobby turned the pages to another bookmarked section.

“Clairaudience is another psychic sense. It’s usually defined as the ability to hear voices or thoughts of spirits. The book says that some mediums hear as though there are listening to someone talking next to them, whereas other mediums hear the voices in their minds as verbal thought. The book later talks about claircognizance, the ability some mediums have that allows them to tell whether a message or situation is “right” or “wrong" and clairsentience, the ability to have an impression of what a spirit wants to communicate,” Bobby summarized. He looked at Sam.

- I LOVE this section with Bobby really showing how much he knows and what research was really like before computers, it was about good old fashion legwork and book reading. Heck, that's how I got through college. No internet in my day, hee, hee!

“Sam, it’s okay. Don’t worry. We’ll figure it all out. You know I won't let anything happen to you," Dean said as he put his arm around Sam.

Sam shoved him, ignoring the shocked look in Dean's eyes.

“Don’t patronize me Dean! You don’t see me with a sign in the window charging desperate people ten bucks to read their palms! This is END of the world big, remember?” Sam yelled.

“Maybe we should take a break," Ellen suggested, standing now as well.

Sam shot a look that could easily be interpreted as hated toward her.

“Why? Do they want me to stay in the dark about my abilities?” Sam yelled at her.

Although no one else knew exactly what Sam meant, she did. Tears sprung to her eyes. He had hurt her, and he wasn't sorry.

“Excuse me,” she said as she rushed out.

“What the Hell is going on here? Who flipped the lightswitch from sane to crazy?” Bobby yelled as he pushed out his chair.

“I’m SICK of everyone looking at me like I’m some kind of FREAK! I NEVER ASKED FOR ANY OF THIS!” Sam yelled, not bothering to hide his anger now.

Suddenly the two kitchen windows blew out. Bobby and Dean hit the floor. Dean pulled Sam down with him, shielding his brother from the raining glass with his body. When all was quiet again, Bobby and Dean jumped up and scrambled for their guns. They didn't know what had happened, but they would be ready. Sam got up and slowly walked over to the opening over the sink where the small window used to be.

-LOVE THIS SCENE! It's shocking and yet understandable. I can see that Sam's anger blew out the windows.

“Dean?” Bobby asked, looking back and forth between the brothers.

“That song. Our mother used to sing that to us when she put us to bed. I never told him that.” Could it be true that his mother was communicating to Sam or was it just another demon trick? He was still betting on demon trick.

-I love this revelation and moment about how Mary sung them a lullabye, that Dean would remember that and that Sam didn't know. I totally loved that Dean remembered that even if he was suspicious about it.

“Mary?” John called quietly from the doorway. She jumped and then laughed. She really needed to stop watching "The Twilight Zone" with John at night.

“He’s just not tired, huh?” John said after he entered the room. He kissed his wife and then his youngest son.

“I guess not, but I sure am,” she said with a yawn. John pulled his wife and baby into his arms and gently hugged them.

“Why don’t you just put him down in the crib for awhile? I’m sure he’ll fall asleep,” John suggested. “I miss my nice warm wife next to me,” he said smiling and kissing her again.

“I’m sure that's not all you miss,” she said, laughing.

-This is SO CUTE! I LOVED the simplicity of it, the normality of it!

“They’re coming Sam!” Mary cried, looking directly at him. “You must get out of the house now!” She began to scream, a wailing sound that filled his ears so he could focus on nothing else...

Sam woke with a start to the sound of the phone ringing. He became aware that he was lying on the living room couch. His vision cleared to see Dean and Ellen standing over him.

“Sam? When are you going to stop scaring the crap out of me? I'm getting too old for this!” Dean exclaimed as he slowly helped Sam to a sitting position.

- This is so scary. To be told to leave by your mom, but not knowing what's real and what's not. Dean's concern was palpable!

“Ow, Dean. Careful. My head is killing me,” Sam groaned, although he was secretly comforted to have his brother within arm's reach. Bobby rushed into the room as Dean finished running his hands over Sam, finding no other injuries.

- I like that Sam feels reassured by Dean's presence.

SophieSaulie chapter 9 . 8/30/2007
Great chapter with Sam and Ellen. A friend has always maintained that there was something uncertain about Ellen's alliance that bothered her, but I like that you have her be human, vulnerable, a mother like Mary trying to protect her daughter here in this chapter and I love that you have Sam assuring her, making her see that he can help save Jo. Wonderful.

Fav. parts:

It comforted him to know that his mother had been there before with him. It comforted him too to think that she may be there with him now, even if Dean didn't believe it. Sam closed his eyes to begin his daily prayer. He smiled as the mumbling voices ceased after he started to pray, giving him a rest from the incessant noise and dull pain. He thanked God for helping him and Dean to connect again.

- Loved this moment. I like that Sam is hoping that his faith will see him through, but more importantly his gratitude for Dean and their connection being re-established.

“When did they get to you?” Sam asked, his mind trying to put some kind of answer together. “The roadhouse-,”

“I was there when they came. They spared me, but made me watch it burn down. Made me listen to the screams of Ash and the other hunters,” She explained, her voice catching in her throat. Sam saw that only a few hundred feet were left until it would be too late. His headache was almost unbearable now and he fought the urge to grab his head. He had to keep it together just a little bit longer until Dean came for him.

- You can feel her conflict here, her vulnerability.

“What are they holding over you? Jo?” Sam guessed, hoping the mention of her daughter’s name would provide at least a momentary distraction. They were so close to the edge of the property now.

“They told me that if I didn’t help them get to you that they would take her. I called her and told her what they said. She wouldn’t come here, saying that she could handle it. She doesn’t understand what she’s up against. I’m her mother. I have to protect her. She’s all I got. I’m sorry, Sam” she said, more tears falling again.

- Again, great moment, you can totally feel Ellen's ambivalence here and her motherly concern and protective instincts.

Sam sighed. Not even two hours had pased and he had already broken his promise to Dean about not keeping things from him. Sure, he could turn Ellen in to Dean and Bobby, but he couldn't see what anyone would gain from that. Everyone makes mistakes. He's made a lot of them. The demons had already taken so much and all they had was each other now. It was time he face his role in this demon war now and he hoped Bobby had some answers. They all had too much at stake.

- I love Sam's compassion and I hurt that he kept the information secret from Dean, even if it was necessary in his eyes.

SophieSaulie chapter 8 . 8/29/2007
This is an AWESOME chapter! Dean's vulnerability, honesty and brotherly admission is just GREAT! I loved every word!

Fav parts:

The whole chapter, but my utmost fav lines are:

This time, he felt fear and pain. It hurt him to see the demons manipulating Sam and using their parents to do it, and he still feared he would lose Sam to them.

“Making sure you don’t skip town,” Dean said as he walked over to the window and looked out, making the observation that the salt was still in place. “Wouldn’t blame you if you did though, after how I acted last night,” Dean said, all humor gone now.

- Such a sweet admission

He clenched his jaw again, a habit that he unconsciously did frequently now, vowing that he would NOT lose Sam to them. They would NOT win this war. But he recognized that he had to keep himself in check, now more than ever. He would support Sammy, help him, even if he didn’t’ agree with him one hundred percent. The bond he and Sam had as brothers made them stronger than their standing alone. He would NOT forget that again. He walked over and sat down on the sleeping bag, waiting for Sam to wake up. Dean would have humble pie for breakfast that morning.

“I’ve always known that as your big brother it was my job to watch out for you. My biggest fear was always that something would happen to you. You know all that. I’ve said it all before so much that you’re probably sick of hearing it. Everything else, no matter what insane creatures we hunted or whacked out situations we got mixed up in, I could handle it,” Dean said as he turned to look at Sam.

“I thought that when I killed the Yellow Eyed Demon that you were finally safe. On some level, I almost didn’t care if I was going to die in a year, because I knew that you would live and that we had avenged Mom’s death. I had fulfilled my duty as a brother and a son. Sure, I knew that the war was coming and I would do all that I could to help stop it. But I didn’t think that we were central in it all anymore. Then all this crap started happening to you and everything changed. I felt so helpless and when they used Mom and Dad against was too much for me to handle and I snapped. I’m sorry. It won’t happen again,” Dean promised as he sat down next to Sam on the cot.

Sam was quiet for a moment as he processed Dean’s words.

- THE BEST SCENE EVER! chapter 24 . 8/29/2007
Great ending and awesome you have left it with Sam traumatised to lead into your sequel, will definitely be tuning in for that! Trust Dean to grab some scrubs in the absence of his clothes, but surprised Dr Snyder didn't comment on it, probably thought he was given them if his own were beyond repair!

It's going to be an anxious time for Dean, and also for Bobby as Sam takes the long and hard road to recovery!

Great story, loved it and so looking forward to "Bring me to Life"!
SophieSaulie chapter 7 . 8/29/2007
Glad you like my reviews and thanks for the compliment. Being a writer, I love the detailed reviews I get and learning what people like and that they enjoy it so much. It does wonders for the ego. I'd love for you to read my stories and would love to get your feedback. I hope you enjoy them.

I felt for Sam and for Dean's helplessnes for each other. I can't blame Dean for being angry, it's exactly what you said about it being his "coping mechanism". He's not being mean, just caring too much.

Fav. parts:

“Sam,” Dean sighed and shook his head, getting frustrated now. “It wasn’t Mom like it wasn’t Dad. It was the demons messing with you.”

“No, Dean. I think it really was her! I could feel it! Maybe she’s trying to tell me something! I dreamed about her, didn’t’ I? Why would the demons do that?” Sam said.

“I don't know, because they're evil?” Dean said sarcastically, standing now.

“Dean, I think she-,” Sam rushed to hypothesize his thoughts into something tangible.

“No, Sam. NO! I’m SO tired of this! You know better! You need to STOP! I can’t watch you every second of the day, so I NEED you to snap out of it!” Dean yelled, pacing angrily in front of the cot. This is NOT happening, Dean thought. He was supposed to have eleven months left, but it felt like he was already in Hell.

“Listen to me!” Sam yelled back.

“I’m…going…to…go…now. When…I…come…back, you…will…NOT… mention…this…crap…again. I’m…DONE!” Dean said through clenched teeth, before storming out the room.

- I felt that helplessness too. It was very emotionally charged.

Sam looked down at the floor in silence. It was careless of him to let in the demon without getting Dean first, yes. He recognizes that. But as soon as the demon entered, it did feel all wrong. But when he saw his mother, it soothed him, made the pain just a little bit less. It felt right.

“Sam, this is important,” Bobby said as he walked closer to Sam. “You said that you thought they were trying to communicate with each other through you?”

Sam nodded.

- I LOVE this twist and can't wait to read more on it!

“Nothing on this scale. I am, of course, familiar with the concept of mediumship. There are several types of mediumship. Mental mediumship is communication of spirits with a medium by telepathy. The medium mentally "hears", "sees", and feels messages from spirits. The medium then passes on the information. This is a bit different than that…” Bobby said, his voice trailing off. He paused for a moment, deep in thought, before continuing.

- I got SUCH a kick at hearing Bobby share his expertise and knowledge!

“You told me before that the Yellow Eyed Demon came to you in your dream and took you back to your nursery the night of the fire. You saw him drip his blood into your mouth. If the dream you had with your mother was also real, maybe the Demon sensed your psychic abilities then, but amplified them with his blood. Or maybe his blood served as a marker, for you and for the other children like you, for demons to locate you,” Bobby guessed. “Sam, we have a lot of work to do. I hate to say it, but as much as that Demon coming in here hurt you, it may have led us to our first solid lead.”

Sam nodded.

“Don’t worry Sam. Dean’ll come around. I got to get back to my books,” Bobby said. He had told the Winchester brothers before that the two of them were smack in the middle of the coming war. He just hadn’t known how true it was at the time.

“Thanks, Bobby,” Sam said as he leaned back to lie down again. He was even more exhausted then before if that was possible.

- I LOVE Bobby providing comfort to Sam about Dean and I like his theories. All fascinating stuff!

SophieSaulie chapter 6 . 8/29/2007
Loved this achingly sad chapter with Sam seeing John and Dean's hysteria and helplessness at not being able to protect Sam, that he can't watch hiimm 24/7.

Fav. Parts:

“Sam!” Dean yelled. He stepped back and kicked the door. It did not budge. He looked at Bobby. Together they charged at the door again. Nothing. One, two, three, four more times they kicked at the door until they were finally successful.

- I've always loved that when it came to knocking down doors, it was Dean doing it so to have him try and fail at knocking the door down here was great!

Dean's gun waivered and he momentarily froze when he saw his father standing over Sam, watching him and smiling. Sam was curled up in a ball on the floor. He was writhing around as if in pain, hands to his ears, with blood trickling from his mouth, ears, and nose.

“Dad?” Dean could not believe his eyes. John face twisted into an ugly grimace and he suddenly charged at the men, as if only just aware that the men entered the room after hearing Dean speak.

- I SO LOVE Dean's reaction here. His hope conflicting with his reason and his ability to deny what he was seeing!

“That wasn’t dad Sam; that was a demon. What the Hell were you thinking, letting it in? I can’t leave you alone for a second! You said you weren’t going to make any more dumb mistakes! You said you would-,”

“Dean!” Ellen yelled from the doorway. “Stop shaking him!”

Dean gasped as he realized that he had been shaking Sam’s shoulders. Sam looked close to losing consciousness again.

“I’m sorry Sammy,” Dean said, cursing himself for such thoughtless behavior. Is it too much to ask for his only brother to be left alone and his last year with him uneventful?

- I LOVE how you portray Dean's irrational panic here! It's so true!

“I’m sorry. I thought….I thought he came to me to tell us how to fight the demons. We saw him in the cemetery. It could have been him,” Sam said, his voice cracking. He took a deep breath to calm himself. He felt stupid now. He should have known better. He was just so tired, not thinking straight, but he had to be more careful.

“It’s okay Sam. All of us here have been fooled by much less. What I don’t get is how it even got as close as your window? I had the whole perimeter of this property protected,” Bobby said as he shook his head.

- I love Bobby's comfort here, letting Sam know that he was human and that being tricked is what demons do best.

“It was overwhelming. Excruciating. But... but maybe if I tried hard enough I could learn to control it, to use it against them. But I can’t do it from here. I can’t hear well enough,” Sam explained, the words coming out quickly as he looked up at Dean.

“Slow down! What are you talking about? Hear who? Hear what? The voices you talked about before? And just to make one thing clear, you are NOT leaving here,” Dean said as he sat down next to Sam.

“Look, Dean. When I let Dad inside, I mean let the demon inside, I was immediately assaulted by a deafening sound. Voices. All yelling and talking over each other. Much louder than before. I could even make out some of what was being said, but not much. I think I was hearing the demons trying to communicate with each other through me to mobilize! And then-” Sam said.

"And then what?" Dean asked.

-Awesome angle here, having Sam be some kind of "receiver" or something!

ILoveSupernatural chapter 24 . 8/29/2007
Whats wrong wid Sammy? :( This was a great story Lia76. (Except for the cliffy the end...that was evil! LOL just kiddin.)

Definitely looking forward to the sequel.
sendintheclowns chapter 23 . 8/28/2007
I didn't see that coming! That was fantastic!

“The Colt can only kill what is truly evil, like the demons. Sam, however, is not evil,” John said.

Great job :)
friendly chapter 24 . 8/28/2007
are you kidding me.. you ended that there.. get that sequel up now. hehhe

good story
JoyofReading chapter 24 . 8/28/2007
Yay a Sequel! What a way to end Burden. I love it. Way to keep the readers with ya. I hope Sammy will be alright. But then again if was I wouldn't have my sequel.

Can't wait for the new story!
SciFi Girl chapter 24 . 8/28/2007
Wow - Great story. You shocked me when it said "the end!"

I'm glad your doing a kind of part two and look forward to it.