Reviews for As Simple As That
Long Live BRUCAS chapter 5 . 10/26/2011
To bad something like this couldn't of happened on the show. I would of loved to see it.

"...and I've always been more of a brunette man, myself." He glanced over to her with his words, and when he found her eyes twinkling in response, gave himself a couple points for turning a loaded question into a score for him. He grinned at her reaction, and she laughed. Good one. He saved himself.
Victoriam Speramus chapter 5 . 2/24/2010
Loved this one - must say, the whole story is amazing, but what really amazed me, at the end, was the possibility of Zack being a spy -maybe is related to the fact I actually didn't like him, but, anyway, I enjoyed that Logan pointed that he trust in him.

And Matt facing Lydecker was pretty cool too.
Mari83 chapter 5 . 10/7/2007
Double-quadruple Love it! Perfect ending, answering questions and touching serious, deep issues but at the same time giving them a break from the events with an evening of kicking back and light banter - and even a hug. That’s pretty much the perfect combination for me.

"fitting in a session with him in front of the news"

Nice detail, I can see Logan doing this often to use his time more economically…

“Oh – here; do you need some...?”

As he immediately turned to reach into a drawer, Max was struck by his ready willingness to give his money, his safety, all he had, for others, and prodded herself to remember that such generosity defined Logan Cale."

Another melting because of Logan-moment. (But isn’t it a little bit sad that he thought Max came for money?) Also so like Logan to keep prodding Max to leave Seattle, despite what it would mean for him.

“He’s not getting off the hook..” Logan smiled the comfortable smile of one self-assured, pleased that he’d guessed right about what had been bugging her. “

Such nice image. Said it several times before, but this is such a perfectly genius plan, in all its facets. (Interesting reminisce to Asylum). Love Max complex reaction throughout this, questioning Logan’s motives, admiration and gratefulness, worrying about him endangering Eyes Only...

Not only have I noticed the food (and hm, I haven’t eaten Pizza for some weeks), but also you made me think of buying Christmas sweets:-)

“Logan,” Max finally breathed, reaching out to him, reaching her arms around him to encircle him with a heartfelt, emotional hug. “Thank you. For every part of this.”

So satisfying to see that the situation brought them closer.

Love the unused, fascinating ideas in here. The idea that Manticore let the X5 escape on purpose is such a great play with the topic of discovering that one’s reality is controlled by extrinsic powers, questioning Max’s definition of her life. I hadn’t thought so far, but her doubts in Zack and the possibility with psyops are the logical consequence. Love the way thoughts go back and forth between them, how Logan reads Max and how she reacts to his questions and suggestions.

"Remember, it was all happening back in the days when a good number of politicians and their constituents were irrational about the idea of cloning and stem cell research – the science was often misunderstood or misrepresented, and there was a decidedly conservative voice in politics at the time that argued against anything like what Manticore was doing. If any of you had spilled their secrets, you could have brought a lot of influential people down.”

Interesting!

So sweet to end it with the reference to Asha.
Moonlite Star chapter 5 . 10/6/2007
sweet ending! BRILLIANT STORY! :D

Way to go. :D
Griever11 chapter 5 . 10/6/2007
Ah. All the questions answered. :D

Perfect way to finish this, with the sweet ML moment at the end.

Loved this!
lisa316 chapter 5 . 10/6/2007
You threw that pizza in there just to taunt me...

Lovely little story. I think what I liked most was the way all of the characters played a role and the nice wrap up at the end. There was a nice mix of said and left unsaid between Max and Logan. Felt like it could have been an episode.

And you know Lydecker's not REALLY done...he'll be back.
Insane Troll Logic chapter 5 . 10/6/2007
Oh, Shy, I loved this so much. Thank you for an awesome extended Christmas. There were so many parts of this I loved but a couple things that really struck me were the very idea that Zack could have tipped Deck to Cindy and of course this line because, let's face it, it was just made of win:

“Zack would be so pissed if he knew that you were able to diffuse Manticore with a bunch of civilians, a plan cooked up in fifteen minutes, and sheer audacity.”

Because that was always one of my favorite things about DA. That the masked vigilante superhero was, at first, just this guy on his own and you know he was doing just fine before he met Max.

Again. Great story. Thank you so much!
BlueAngel137 chapter 4 . 9/11/2007
Thanks for another nail-biting chapter. It's brilliant! Love how well Matt keeps his ground against Lydecker and of course love Bling and Logan (made me smile).

Does OC already know about Max in this story? The story feels like it's set somewhere in late Season 1 but I wasn't sure. In case it's set earlier this would make an interesting dialog ;).

Lydecker won't be too happy about the development. Wonder what he's up his sleeve?

And Shy, the longer the story the better! :) At least IMO (don't think ITL will complain). Definitely can't wait for the next chapter.
lisa0316 chapter 4 . 9/9/2007
I really liked the Lydecker/Matt Sung interaction. I don't think anybody has ever put those two together before. Cindy's line about the po-pos was hysterical.
Mari83 chapter 4 . 9/9/2007
I’m so fascinated with this story, a completely novel (and so far completely non-violent (except Cindy?)) take on the old pattern of the escape and evade-action-story.

"The downside of leaving the car is leaving the vantage point it provided

He would have to trust that it was enough..."

Logan’s unease at not having better control over the situation and having action taken out of his hands (which probably applies quite often after the shooting ) and his insecurity about Matt’s motives is really palpable and certainly increases the tension. (His reaction to Matt’s actions reminded me of your comment about Logan’s having only few friends and how work dominated his social life is) Very clever dramaturgy with the shift from seeing Logan to Matt.

"So far, the chanting and movement was insistent but optimistic, as if they were calling for a rock star to come on stage."

I like this and the toy-reference, it stresses that the mass doesn’t really know its opponent and that they’re manipulated (albeit for a good cause).

“Son, this is a restricted area,” Lydecker’s words were a sneer. “ None of this crowd, not even you, has the authority to be here and...”

Lydecker’s eyes narrowed, immediately, reassessing Matt quickly, and countered, “Trade secrets. And you’re on private property.”

“Why don’t you just leave, and take all of this human waste with you?” Lydecker’s face took on a sudden, vicious smile as his words snarled vitriol."

Love to see the dynamics of Lydecker assessing and reassessing Matt. It’s so satisfying how Matt cuts off Lydecker’s different approaches of intimidation and manipulation. I absolutely love how Matt outsmarts him just by knowing his rights - because it’s simply a pleasure to read and also because it seems to indicate that a normal civil society is at least partially restored. It fits Matt’s ‘correct cop’-image perfectly as does his interpretation of the events as a way to increase the popularity of the police.

"Suddenly, his eyes lighting in recognition, Lydecker found Logan in the crowd. Unseen by either man as their eyes met, each staring back at the other defiantly

she saw Logan lift an eyebrow and mouth silently to the Colonel, “No comment.”

Love the staring contest between them and how Lydecker has to give in a second time without Logan even getting close. Such a cool showdown moment.

“Logan, everyone above me in the chain of command, Commissioner on down, has been out in the line at one time or another. And anyone who’s been a city cop for more than six months has had their toes stepped on by the Feds, cherry-picking cases, messing up a bust, stealing the credit – something. I suspect that the feelings toward our federal cousins will take the edge off any problem they might have with me.”

Matt’s superiors won’t call him on his behaviour because they mistake Lydecker for some federal agency? I guess I just lack the knowledge of the US bureaucratic structure to understand this...

I don’t think I should trust the peaceful ending, just on principle… and Max and Cindy being together at the police station where not all cops have Matt's attitude...?
Moonlite Star chapter 4 . 9/8/2007
heh, great chapter!

loved seeing lydecker and his reaction. Great way matt played it out. Will we see more max/lydecker interactions?

looking forward to find out what happened with cindy and lydecker...

we have to wait till CHRISTMAS? :(

ill be waiting...

update asap.
Griever11 chapter 4 . 9/8/2007
Wonderful, wonderful! Oh, Lydecker was written perfectly!

Love how Matt (and Logan too) handled the situation. Always gotta love these macho men.

:D

Can't wait!
jfg207 chapter 4 . 9/8/2007
Real exciting... Give the people and po-po a hand... Great. What does Lydecker do to retaliate? And do Manticore get wind of this?
Insane Troll Logic chapter 4 . 9/8/2007
Hey? Have I mentioned lately how much I loved this story? Because you see, I REALLY LOVE THIS STORY.

Loved watching the showdown of Matt vs. Lydecker, the brilliant insight on the Seattle PD as well as the fact that Lydecker is most definitely not going to go away quietly.

(I am so glad you're writing this story! thank you thank you thank you)
Babyangel86 chapter 3 . 8/24/2007
ah... the drama... dont you just love it!

defnitely wanna know how it all goes down! update soon!

damn I wish i had sent in a christmas in july request... :-( ... still...

update soon, loving it!