Reviews for A Shadowed Soul
Ukia Catdragon chapter 11 . 6/18/2014
Kai gets to practice his specialty and we meet the Loners of Gryffindor. I like how he gets Hermione to ask questions and wait for a reply to each instead of asking questions rapid-fire.

The flashback is interesting. Maybe we could learn some of the rituals of Hephaestus or Nyx? Good to know why Kai would never touch the rituals of Hades. I don’t blame him. I wouldn’t either.

It’s good to know about the different factions among the students. I also like how Kai tells off Malfoy and then puts him in the girls’ bathroom. Very amusing.

We get to meet Blaise, Anaconda’s oldest son. Very nice. I like how he teases Kai about his prank on Malfoy.

The attack on the Hogwarts Express is well done. The descriptions of the wards are interesting. The dementor attack was slightly unexpected, but not that much. Which god would that ritual have been to? Perhaps Apollo, as he is the God of Light?

I like how Blaise puts Malfoy in his place. Very amusing. Hermione standing up to Ron is also good. The end of the chapter is highly amusing, all the girls crushing on Kai. It gets even funnier when Hermione disappoints them all. And of course we can all tell that Ron's going to be put in his place by Kai soon enough.
Ukia Catdragon chapter 10 . 6/17/2014
Metamorphs don’t get to go in their natural form often? Well, I guess that makes sense. They either get bugged into changing to amuse people or their job requires them to.

“You know you’re a strange pair when your partner is touched when you move someone to the top of your kill list...” Yes, that is very true. It also makes me laugh.

I like the Kai/Tonks moment. Very nice, not too descriptive, but enjoyable.

‘Note to self, don’t piss off Snape; it makes him faster...’ Again, that made me laugh. I like the sparring between Kai and Snape. The conversation they have is enlightening, also. The four steps are good to know, I might actually remember them. The speech he gives Severus on prejudice is also good.

Nice to know Kai has people who love him. Anaconda’s family must be nice people. You certainly make them sound like it.

Kai knows by touch what a person is, eh? Useful trick, that. The brief flashback is nice to see. Funny that Padfoot startles him with his cold doggy nose. I don’t blame Kai for wanting nothing to do with the ‘fawning English sycophants’. It IS disturbing.

Sirius must be crazy, to not be creeped out by a thestral animagus form. Then again, I wouldn’t care one way or the other. I can tell when a creature is misunderstood.

I like Kai’s threat to Sirius over ‘The Talk’. That was funny. I also like his little speech to Sirius about his and Snape's similarities and house rivalries. Maybe we could see Kai put both Severus and Sirius in their places in one of the Order meetings, when they inevitably start to fight? Something along the line of "You are both going to get along and you will be civil about it, unless you want me to get creative with the two of you." Only more diplomatic than that.
Ukia Catdragon chapter 9 . 6/17/2014
Kai is the Heir of Gryffindor, eh? Well, that may be cliche, but it does work, which is why it’s a cliche. Head Ragnock is the Goblin King, interesting. Guess he wants to keep tabs on the wizarding portion of the magical world. The legal agreement with the Gryffindor family is new to me in fanfiction, but it is interesting.

Ragnock wanting to protect Kai from the Boy-Who-Lived insanity is nice. At least some people are looking out for him.

Interesting that Godric Gryffindor wrote books on bloodmagic. Perhaps we’ll also learn some of the family secrets in future chapters?

I don’t blame Kai for being angry about Gryffindor’s sword being in Dumbledore’s office. It belongs with the family, not the school. Funny that Fawkes follows the sword. It’s even funnier when he drops the scroll on Dumbledore’s head. Maybe he likes playing pranks on Albus? That would be amusing.

Nice to know that Kai is very good at pissing off Lords. If they got what they wanted all the time, they would be spoiled. And no one likes a spoiled Lord.

Good to know that Leander is really screwed up from the blood withdrawal. Parsel wards, eh? Looks like Kai’s going to have some fun later on.

Moldy Voldy has a magical medical problem, interesting. I take it only Barracas knows?
Ukia Catdragon chapter 8 . 6/17/2014
Heh heh, I like the conversation with Callyn Phoenix-Fire. First Kai’s ear is deafened, then he says, “Don’t worry, it still will.” That made me laugh.

The flashback was interesting. You’d think that non-flammable clothing would be standard for everyone. I like the bits of bloodmagic we get to see. Seeing that Leander was an idiot even then is amusing.

Kai had to kill 10 vamps in the first month? Sad. That shows how many idiots there are in the world.

“left ole Lord Rigormortis in a bit of a snit”? Methinks it was more than a ‘bit of a snit’. More like a raging temper tantrum, knowing Tom.

Nice to meet the other Council Members and what everyone does. Another question: how long has Kai been doing assassinations? Obviously he had to have started when he was in Riker, so at least since he was 15.

Kai is a vindictive bastard when he wants to be, eh? What did he do with Ulrich, then, or other Riker students who thoroughly crossed him, for them to know that?

“Equality is his soapbox”? That phrase made me laugh. So did Rain’s comment before that line. Good to know that Kai loves to teach.

Kai walks into Shadowed Soul, gets cheered en masse, promptly gets into the backed up paperwork, then has to deal with an angry Callyn. Humorous.

Riddle is nothing but an extensive project, eh? Not surprising. So the Italian Dark Lord lasted only 2 months? How sad. Kai must have been disappointed. And Leander is going to die after being tortured, how nice. He deserves it.

As for flashback ideas, how about Kai learning Parselmagic after it's discovered that he's a Parselmouth? Or perhaps one of Athena's bloodmagic rituals is granting the blood magician a glowing sword or spear to smite enemies with?
Ukia Catdragon chapter 7 . 6/17/2014
I like the speech he gets regarding knowing his place in Riker society. Good to know that Riker has never produced a Dark Lord and monitors it’s students and alumni.

Tonks is the only person to infiltrate Shadowed Soul, eh? Makes sense. Not surprising that she fell for Kai. One thing that bothers me is that Kai was 15 when he started managing Shadowed Soul, he was still in school. Did the council give him that responsibility when Ulrich proved to be untrustworthy or something?

Kinda funny that Kai can outfight Moody. I’m not surprised that he’s going to alter his glamours so Moody can’t see through them any more. Moody really needs to have the mask of a black and white world removed from his eyes so he can see clearly. And for him to think that Shadowed Soul would have Death Eaters inside is just plain silly.

I like the Apollo Truth spell. Very fascinating. I find it interesting that Kai made the Council at 16 years of age. Riker alumni must really like him.

So how old was Kai when he did his warding mastery? It had to be fairly young for him to do so at the same time Bill Weasley did his curse breaker mastery.

I like the no name rule of Shadowed Soul. Chami, the Chameleon. It fits her.

I also like the information on body magic. Very interesting. I like the full body stunner, too. Be nice to have that ability in the real world. Maybe you could come up with more examples of body magic?
Ukia Catdragon chapter 6 . 6/17/2014
It’s interesting to meet Krystien. Perhaps in future chapters we could see some of the bloodmagic that he taught Kai? Perhaps some of the Apollo or Athena rituals, or that one ritual involving the Goddess of Night mentioned in in the first bloodmagic class.

Interesting that Snape’s father was a Riker, but it would explain a lot. Not too surprised that Kai reminds him of the Dark Lord in some fashion, but as he notes, Kai isn’t nasty like Voldemort is.

Nice to know that Riker has a secret identity. I rather like Albus’ look of horror as well.

Kai’s plan for dealing with Tom’s organization is good. I rather like the, uh, rant? dressing down? Kai gives Dumbledore about the current political climate influencing new recruits to Voldemort’s cause.

Out of curiosity, what are Kai’s other masteries? You tell us about Runes, Bloodmagic, Warding, magical Defense and non-magical Defense. Is one of them Parselmagic?

A Riker as a Practical Defense professor? Oh dear. What fun!
Aeonir chapter 1 . 6/17/2014
Expected Harry, got some Kai bloke... Not gonna continue as he's still refered to as Kai in the narrative in 10th chapter when I checked.
Ukia Catdragon chapter 5 . 6/17/2014
So, to recap: Leander creates a truth potion that actually affects Kai; he's briefly interrogated; he pisses off Tommy boy; Kai gets tortured; Snape gets him out; Poppy makes a big mistake regarding his healing; negotiations with Albus; and a nightmare.

All in all, very interesting. The torture was a bit disturbing, but that's unavoidable. It was a little funny reading the interrogation. Voldemort being frustrated is always good. I like that Snape speaks Rikerian. Good for keeping a conversation confidential. It also adds to his character. Poppy really should have known better than to make assumptions. Sigh. Albus needs to stop trying to manipulate everyone around him. Makes you wonder if he tried that with Riddle and it backfired on him. I don't blame Kai for having a nightmare. Hopefully he won't have too many of them.

You do need to reread this fic VERY closely and slowly. There are spelling errors here and there, and occasionally a confusing sentence where it looks like you were trying to decide which turn of phrase to use and combined them. It's a little annoying, especially for someone who rereads fics at the rate I do. Please fix it when you get the chance.
Ruby chapter 8 . 6/17/2014
His Animagus form/special creature thing is a Thestral, right? So, Hades would be an interesting choice...especially if you tie in stuff with bindings, like with how he kept Persephone in the underworld after she ate the pomegranate seeds. Of course, that would be considered very "dark". His Shadow Walking ability could be a product of that, too. And he's a battle mage, so Ares is a good bet, too. I do realize probably too far ahead to use this now, but whatever. I like it so far...
Corett chapter 18 . 6/15/2014
The whole storry is really great work, I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end :) I love the unbiased stance most of the magical world in your storry have, it makes sense to me much better than the JKR world. I am clicking on the "follow" button and hope another chapter will appear someday :)
May a Chance chapter 18 . 6/14/2014
Dear gods! Ulrich is terrible. Kai was a child! How could he do such a thing? Kai could have dealt with the phobias on his own.
Ukia Catdragon chapter 1 . 6/13/2014
Very interesting start to a rather unorthodox fic. Harry not knowing his birth name, trained as an assassin. Very interesting. Nice work on the details of the story.

One thing I've noticed, as I've read this fic several times, is that you have a slightly messed up timeline. Kai would have to have still been in Riker Academy when he took over the management of the Shadowed Soul. Could you at some point put together a general timeline of when things happened at what age in Kai's life? Just curious.
DarkLordHerobrine chapter 6 . 6/12/2014
A suggestion for you: go to the characters section and select the pairing function, that would take care of your slash-fan problem.
Guest chapter 18 . 6/11/2014
awww its stops there! great story i cannot wait for more you are an amazing author
alkorn chapter 18 . 6/8/2014