Reviews for Turncoat
topherstinkbutt chapter 1 . 7/16/2013
My goodness, you're really trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole here, aren't you, by attributing all of the significant behaviors one would associate with a Death Eater to Lupin?

He was milquetoasty, to be sure, but I always attribute that to his painful awareness that he is labeled a dark creature and will never be able to fully integrate into society. Having been made into dark creature by accident is vastly different from choosing to become one on purpose, however. Why bother scrubbing the warts off of Lucius? He's much more delicious the way he's portrayed in canon (especially in the last 2 books), and even evil, unrepentant torturers and murderers can still make caring, loving fathers.
sevispamprinyoualways chapter 1 . 3/11/2013
My gracious, but that a/n is a speculative leap that requires a suspension of disbelief at a level of intensity akin to probing the deepest recesses of the universe with a spyglass. I agree that Remus is a dark creature. Lucius, however, made himself over into a dark creation. Not sure what you're attempting to communicate here; once again, despite your disappointment and disavowal of the author's own intention and reading, there are no gray areas to be explored. That is both part of the canon universe and Word of God.
Seren Flaidd chapter 1 . 9/19/2012
Lupin lovers beware! I was reading Crabbes poetry but thought as this was short I would fit it in first and I am so glad I did.
I read this chapter with my son last night. So not only was it fresh in my mind but also my own thoughts and his.
Lucius first. Personally, I think this really is very very cannon. Did Lucius want to get caught or to break the prophecy? I would say you're meant to assume, viewing through Harry's eyes, not. But this is equally if not more likely, when you consider Lucius's motives, which Harry never really does.

I also like that you have 'Lucius' - we're on first names, and 'Lupin'.

So... To me that counts as canon. It doesn't say who fired the second spell so really it could have been anyone. BUT I don't think Lupin killed Sirius - (there's a line I never thought I'd get to say). I do think Sirius is the only character that Remus ever shows any genuine loyalty to in canon including his wife or friends. His lack of care for anyone else does make this even more interesting to consider.

Sirius is openly cruel and agressive to anyone not in his 'pack' (Severus and Kreature etc) but protects and obeys Remus while he's alive.

Remus does lie and mislead in canon. He doesn't really appear to care about anyone else, so it's plausible that he pretends to care about Sirius for the benefits it offers... maybe? It's a massively big stretch, I think. But thank God there is writing like this that makes minds stretch a little.

'I'd have killed him then, if I could, Alpha or no.' As I was reading I had to pause for a moment to think who you were meaning as the Alpha, it becomes obvious at once, but it broke my focus on the writing for a moment.

That said, this is brilliantly written and I am hoping and assuming that you have already had many people tell you so.

I love how well you have created the inner thoughts of characters that we only usually see through Harry's eyes and perspective. While I don't actually believe that Remus pushed Sirius through the veil and hid his wolife smile (or that J K Rowling means for us to believe it) I wondered if you, the author, believed it was 'possible' or 'probable'. I think it's got to be 'possible'.
And it was a pleasure to read.
I hope this isn't too long a review. It was a brilliant piece of writing.
Ice Demon Ranger chapter 1 . 5/13/2012
Hmmm... very open to interpretation.
verity candor chapter 1 . 6/1/2011
Oh, this is so clever! Lucius was brilliant, brilliant, brilliant - you gave him motivations and a character reading which I think slips perfectly into canon - I think you really showed how he's exactly the opposite of Bellatrix, in a way - he's more a Death Eater for personal reasons than for the Dark Lord, and I think the explanation of his 'Azkaban Plan' is one of the best, IC explanations I've seen.

As to the second - I will admit to being a Lupinlover, sorry, but your little AU twist of canon was actually very, very intelligent - while I disagree with this reading of canon, I think it's a fascinating situation to explore - what if Lupin's passive-agressiveness is an act? And you give him a fascinating motivation here, and, as I said before, you chose your 'canon moment' perfectly - just the perfect place to completely reverse out expectations.

Great job.
shenmi meiren chapter 1 . 1/14/2011
wicked!
skele-gro chapter 1 . 9/25/2010
A brilliant alternative to looking at things!
Abryl chapter 1 . 7/14/2010
.god.

I wasn't sure if I would like your oneshots but hell,

that were two magnificent pieces of awesomeness.

I liked it!

Even though it's... really wow!

I'd never thought about the details of that scene when

Sirius falls through the veil,

it's really awesome how you put that scene in a totally different light!
morgainedulac chapter 1 . 11/1/2009
Cunning Lucius and dark Remus. What's not to like? A very interesting take on both of them. Thanks for sharing. /M
magialuna chapter 1 . 8/16/2009
I love this take on Lucius. It is very much how I view him, especially seeing how he acted in DH. Yes, he had a very political turn of phrase and was very good at convincing Voldemort he had remained faithful... but I think your take is entirely accurate. Lucius is a creature of the limelight, a lovely aristocratic glittering thing. He seems the type who very much enjoys Slytherin planning and subterfuge - perhaps to get the government to do as he pleases - but getting his hands dirty out tormenting mudbloods is so very beneath Lucius... I can almost seeing him trying to find ways to see if he can get the elves to do it *for* him. Not out of any great concern but it is simply so tedious and pointless, why bother?

Anyway, I really enjoyed this. Thanks so much for sharing it!

Your take on Lupin was quite unusual as well and I can imagine that being the case also. If Snape could hide his true feelings all that time I suppose Lupin could too. It definitely seemed in the books that Lupin was not totally *for* James and Sirius antics.

Clare
ForgottenMoonbeam92 chapter 1 . 9/24/2008
Interesting idea...I'm a "Lupinlover", but I didn't take offense at this at all :). I'm forever twisting characters different ways, giving them different motives and characteristics, and enjoying the effects. I don't think the motive you gave Lupin plausible or canon at all-there is nothing in the books that says he's unhappy with how his friends became animagi. In fact, when telling his story, he seems shocked that they would do 'something for me' like that. And he's often said that being a werewolf is 'very painful'-and with everything he takes from society, he would never wish being a werewolf on anyone. But I do like the idea muchos. It gave me goosebumps. Good writing!
trekker2002 chapter 1 . 1/28/2008
Just when I thought I'd read everything you've done I found another gem. Interesting takes on both of them. I always had Lucius down as a man out for himself and family alone. He must have been kicking himself in canon for failing to see how expendable Draco was in Voldemort's worldview. I like Lupin but can easily see him in the role you give him. It is only a short step from the canon character who concealed vital information from Dumbledore for a year, to one who concealed his true motivation all his life.
Warrior from beyond chapter 1 . 1/12/2008
very good.
zelovar chapter 1 . 1/10/2008
Lucicus has been one of my guilty pleasures since GoF. I sensed that he was trying to convince himself that he was still supportive of the Dark Lord's agenda, when in reality he masking his incredulity at having his power base, in development for so many years, completely eroded. I wonder how it felt to have the Dark Mark grow ever bolder in coloration that year. DH was somewhat of a vindication, as we see that Lucius indeed cared more for his family than any fruitless plan of vengeance the Dark Lord was pursuing.

As succintly as you've portrayed Lucius, I think that your Remus is all wrong. His passiveness is not an act; it's reality. Look at his attempt to duck out on his responsibilities to Tonks (not to mention the time spent steadfastly ignoring the Marauder's pranks. He's no alpha, true; but I don't believe that he was James Potter's tame beta...just an outcast compromising his sense of ethics to fit in.

I'm glad I found this you write primarily about Severus! Snape is easily the most complicated of Rowling's characters, with so many hidden depths to probe in fanfiction. I'm looking forward to reading your other stories.
sevbitit chapter 1 . 12/20/2007
Oh, I entered all right, and snickered at how Deathly Hallows lit an explosive fuse under your speculations regarding Remus.