Reviews for A Different Kind of Love
S chapter 1 . 1/26/2010
Loved the beginning quotes, and I agree whole-heartedly about the friendships.
asdfjkl chapter 1 . 12/31/2008
thank you! people are far to obsessed with slash. friendship stories are the best xD

thank you!
Kwaj chapter 1 . 11/27/2008
THANK YOU.

*Rant* *Deep Breath*

Slash annoys me endlessly, especially LotR slash. The world of Middle-Earth is a place of purity and moral absolutes, where the heroes acknowledge their flaws and fight evil despite -or because of- them. When people try and twist the noble, selfless friendship of the Fellowship into something dirty and wrong, they are desecrating Tolkien's wonderful creation.

*End rant, resume normal breathing*

You hit the nail on the head with this one. This poem says, in no uncertain terms, exactly what needs to be said. The friendship between the heroes is not something sexual, it is the simple, pure love between true friends. Nothing more. Nothing less.

And the poem itself is quite beautiful, too. My compliments, and again, thank you for this. :-)
Irritable Insanity chapter 1 . 5/1/2008
Woo-hoo!

This I like, this I like very much! I have had a similar reaction to slash in general. It isn't canon, as you say, and it seems somehow off to cheapen a bond of brotherhood by throwing sex into the mix.

The love here would be a mix of what Lewis called Phileo love (spelling?), love for a brother, and Agape love, the selfless love that most closely approaches that of God's as any human love can.

In the fellowship, you see this sort of love, of course, there were fights and arguments, but they didn't do lasting damage.

Cool stuff, and a great light counterpoint to teh slash o' OOC bizarreness you see all to often in fanfiction.
Theresa Gibson chapter 1 . 10/29/2007
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! There is so much I could say but Thank You sums it up.
sazza-da-vampire chapter 1 . 8/8/2007
I totally agree with your thoughts, and i have managed to only once venture into a slash fic (it was only implied,thank God)

That is a beautiful poem. Now i'm off to see if you've written any others...
aisarikka chapter 1 . 8/3/2007
Wonderful.
Nieriel Raina chapter 1 . 7/20/2007
THANK YOU! for such a great look at the friendships of Tolkien! I agree that Tolkien did not mean these friendships to be taken as romantic relationships. You explained that wonderfully! I just finished reading Turin's story and sobbed when he killed Beleg! The devotion of that elf was incredible. And you missed an important friendship! Legolas and Gimli!

I understand your feelings on slash, and senseless smut in Tolkien's world is disturbing. I'd much rather read about the pure love between friends or lovers such as Aragorn and Arwen.

*applause*

NiRi
Aimme chapter 1 . 7/20/2007
Oh, I agree with you wholeheartedly! When the other computer gets up and running, I might even print this out and frame it! D I just wanted to let you know that I agree with what you said, and I appreciate you writing this; even if it wasn't for me. I appreciate this because it is really good, and how I feel exactly!

-Aimme-
Silivren Tinu chapter 1 . 7/19/2007
I think you found a wonderful way to express what friendship is and what it means. *hugs*
ArodieltheElfofRohan chapter 1 . 7/18/2007
Very good, Cal. They all have brotherly love towards each other, not in a romantic way. Keep upyour great writing mellon nin! :)

Arodiel
Elvin BlueEyes chapter 1 . 7/17/2007
lovely :)
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 7/16/2007
Very well said and I am certain Tolkien woould agree with you wholeheartedly as I do.
TolkienAddict chapter 1 . 7/16/2007
Ai Muinthel! Frustration can lead to many things! Right way to go!
StarLight9 chapter 1 . 7/16/2007
Aww, Cal, this was beautiful, mellon nin! A love most pure that goes beyond anything else. I almost cried.