Reviews for Prayer for an Innocent Man
sirius the homicidal maniac chapter 1 . 3/28/2003
this is really good. there is one problem, though: sirius is harry's godfather, right? but you portray him as an atheist. other than that it was a great piece
Author By Night chapter 1 . 10/19/2002
You never told me about this fic! It is really, really good.
f0xyness39 chapter 1 . 9/29/2002
this, like all of your stories, is amazing!
Cammy chapter 1 . 9/8/2002
This is so sad... But I loved it!
Thorn4 chapter 1 . 11/24/2001
I'm not Christian either, but this is still quite touching.
Nessa Ar-Fieneil chapter 1 . 11/8/2001
I am a Christian, but I will tell you this. There is no such thing as a fox hole atheist. Ppl tend to find God real fast when faced with death. Many want to know that death is not the end.
Mary Joseph chapter 1 . 10/5/2001
Sob So sweet! Very good!
the Shee chapter 1 . 9/7/2001
I was reading "A Circle of Quiet" by Madeleine L'Engle-she says some things about how she cannot as a thinking person believe in the existence of a god, but that she tries live as though she does. (It's a hard philosophy to explain.) Anyway, the beginning of this piece reminded me of that, with everybody calling out to their gods and Sirius unbelieving. I really like your phrase, "words unbowed"... it is evocative of the tones and types of voices that it represents (always a good thing ::wink::). You made some very good points about sanity vs. madness and our perception of it, even though that wasn't the only focus of the story. I like your idiom with Aragog only hurting flies-the twisted idiom added a depth to the phrase that normally isn't there. This is a wonderful description of Azkaban and the mental shift that goes with it: the society behind bars. You chose a wonderfully innocent song for sirius to begin singing, but the reasoning behind why he turns to god is a bit weak... that's the only problem I see, though, with the plot. Well written, as always!
Rage Point chapter 1 . 7/27/2001
...it does? I didn't even realize this was a songfic, the lyrics were so seamless. I assumed it was strictly Black's prayer, although the word "yeah" did throw me off for a second, until I moved on, decided that it was supposed to be "yea," as in "Yea, though I walk through the valley..." In retrospect, I should have picked up on it, but I'm glad I didn't, as I have preconceived and negative ideas about songfics. I avoid them, as they are generally stirred along by a mute soundtrack and not by the writing itself. Sirius-in-Azakban vignettes are also off-putting to me as a reader, because as literary pieces they generally accomplish very little. That said and in spite of it, this was an evocative piece that exceeded my expectations. The words flow like thoughts do, in that they resist your extraction from them as you read. And there is a strange poignancy to all of it, in the conjunction of the dark and the sacred-which is perhaps more resonant with a Christian than an atheist. The line, "Azkaban was more holy than a church," still lingers in my head, leaving me to wonder how the tone was both irreverent and sacred at the same time. Hopeless and sustaining at once.
jesatria7 chapter 1 . 7/26/2001
A bit too Christian for my taste, but I like it anyway
Trinity Day chapter 1 . 7/25/2001
Wow. That's all I can say. Wow. Wow.
FallenAngel chapter 1 . 7/24/2001
Oh my gosh, that was so sad! Poor Hagrid, I never really thought how he felt... And he's so sweet in this! This is a wonderful fic!
BrieflyDel chapter 1 . 7/24/2001
Interesting take. I'm not really going for all the religion - I think it feels out of place - but that's just me (and I'm a nonreligous Jew, so I'm not angry at you or anything *small smile*). But the way you conveyed the boredom and the despair and the little things the prisoners try to do to keep themselves alive is really well done. The conversation between Hagrid and the Lestranges, as well as Sirius's plea for Hagrid to be okay were very touching.
lore1 chapter 1 . 7/23/2001
I rather liked that, especially the way the prisoners are shown to all be in the same boat, so to speak. The ending seemed a little abrupt, though.