Reviews for Distrust
JaneDoh0 chapter 1 . 4/11
I finally found this again years after first reading it. As brilliant now as it was then. I think this is realistically what the actual response the Wizarding world would have to Severus-they scorned him as useless trash as a child, hated him as an adult, and considered him the murdered of the "greatest wizard". As written, Albus is a total asshat. He ruined Severus's life by favoring and enabling his schoolyard tormentors, used him as a tool, and leaved nothing behind exonerating him. He deserves to lose his illusions about human nature.
Saramagician chapter 1 . 11/23/2012
Oh! It is sad! But real! Life isn't fair! Poor Severus!
besemperadreamer chapter 1 . 12/12/2009
When you told me about Distrust I got interested and read it. Really bitter. I agree with you, his death was meaningless. He had protected Lily's son for almost twenty years and then died without tell himself the truth and, most of all, without fight on Harry's side in the last battle. I hated Dumbledore, he would have told him about the wand but still..I think you was able to cacth the relationships between Dumbledore and Snape, well expressed in the portraits' behaviour; you had done a very well work. I don't know if Minerva didn't belive Snape's innocence, but it's credible that wizard people didn't understand where his loyality really lied. Severus is very IC in all his expressions, in his resignation toward life and in his awarness that life is not fair. It's a sad, but very canon, end for this complex and dark, but not less brave, hero. Beautiful, sad, bitter, truthful, heartbroken, and probabily the most canon-compliant end for our beloved Potion Master. Good work!
snapsforsnape chapter 1 . 12/5/2009
Gah! I cried. I have to say the last two lines where some of the most emotionally fueled, beautiful lines I have ever be fortunate enough to read in fanfiction. Most stories are too saccharine and come out with a happy ending for Snape, which I kinda find hard to believe. Though we don't exactly know how everything playe out, I think your story would be accurate. Even after all he has done, he will forever be destined to get the short end of the straw. I really wish Dumbledore left some indication of his death plan just to exonerate Snape. He covered for Harry before his death, why not Snape?

Anyway, I have just two items to critique. I would watch changing verb tenses in a paragraph. I learned this the hard way recently in an English essay. The only paragraph I really noticed it and made me twitch a bit (lol) was the second paragraph. Otherwise, well done.

Also, wouldn't Dumbledore respond to Minerva if it regarded Snape's reputation? Or was he only keeping his promise to Snape? That was the only thing I found a bit far fetched, but hey- that's what fanfic is!

You have an amazing writing ability. Keep it up. I shall be on the lookout for more!
NevemTeve chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
Well Snape is indeed full with self-sorrow, but there is quite an amount of regret and guilt and even self-loathing, which you seems to have ignored.
ArcticSeasons chapter 1 . 5/7/2009
This story was so sad but so good. I can actually see this as part of cannon after Chapter 36 of DH in JKR's universe.

In my universe Severus would have had a better death scene or would have never died to begin with. Minerva would have apologized (instead of acting like a bitch in your story) and the wizarding world would think of him as a hero after a while.
Lotiolentus chapter 1 . 4/20/2008
Aw... beautifully written! Bit disappointed in Minerva, but hey, what can you exect after 16 years of being enemies... Still, it's really good
heydiddlediddleitstommyriddle chapter 1 . 7/31/2007
No free love for Severus, I'm afraid. Wanna hear what JKR said about him? "He remains rather cruel, a bully, riddled with bitterness".

Straight from the mouth of the Creator herself!

Shouldn't have become a Death-Eater, eh?
lettuce chapter 1 . 7/30/2007
dumbledore, man oh man, i wouldn't be naming my kid after him.

is snape's picture even up there? jk really shld have at least mentioned it
lettuce chapter 1 . 7/30/2007
i agree, and didn't lily come across as a right royal bitch. first she half laughs and starts flirting with james potter while her supposedly best friend is hanging upside down with his underwear on display, her defence of him sounded alot like she was only doing it because it was expected of her. than when he lashes out (becuase he's sick of being treated as a prope in her and jame's little game)she smacks him down as hard as is humanly possible. and when he grovels for forgivness she acts like a self rightious cow.

ok, so snape was ugly, and teenage lily probably couldn't be blamed for being attracted to a handsome jock. but still, to do that to your best friend?

imagine how hard it wouldve been for snape to maintain that friendship any-how, surrounded by a pack of baby death eaters. it wouldve been really brave of him to camp outside the gyrff common room to make up with a mudblood.

i guess snapes a fictional character so it so he is whatever jk wants him to be. but still, did his lily obession make much sense?

if it had been me, i would have probably screamed a "plague on both your houses" when the snake started munching away.
wynnleaf chapter 1 . 7/29/2007
This is beautifully done and very moving.

While Snape's death *appears* futile, because Voldemort's assumption is not true, it is precisely *because* Voldemort's assumption is incorrect that Snape's death was crucial to defeating Voldemort.

It was because Voldemort believed that he was the master of the wand that he went boldly to meet Harry and his ultimate defeat. Without Snape's death, Voldemort would not have been deceived.

But I realize this is cold comfort given JKR's treatment of Snape. The last chapter before the epilogue ends with Harry just wanting his bed and a sandwich. I certainly don't blame Harry, poor kid, after all he'd been through. But what a way for JKR to leave it, with Snape still lying dead in the Shrieking Shack, his body forgotten.
Visenya Dayne chapter 1 . 7/28/2007
I've cried so much for Severus's life and fate that I don't know if I still have tears left...

*checking*

Oh, yes, I have.

Well, since the first book I knew he was going to die... But he suffered so much in life - I think that actually the ruth came out and people believed it. Anyway, Severus Snape is the literary proof that life is not fair - and sometimes death isn't either.

I think Harry named his first son "James Sirius Potter", though..

O.o
gowvan chapter 1 . 7/25/2007
Interesting, but I like to think Minerva would've treated Severus better than JKR did - especially after seeing Snape's memories.
DailyProphetEditor chapter 1 . 7/22/2007
Sorry I can't log in right now, it's Frank the DailyProphetEditor here.

I agree with you about not liking JKR at the moment. What she did to Snape was just not fair. I mean, we all knew he would die, and there even was some poetic sadness in the fact that he died before Harry learned the truth. But that JKR decided to make him a stupid side-character again, that there were no Snape-Harry moments, that there was no one who was ready to believe even after Harry told the truth. The story of Severus Snape in JKR's universe has nothing special to it any more, she just threw away her most thrilling character.

So now about your fic. Yes, it is totally DH compliant. Well-written, too. But I think if there was anyone who would believe in Snape especially after hearing the truth from Harry and/or seeing the memories, it would be Minerva. She was Snape's friend until the end of HBP. She would not doubt him any more.
til-iburnout chapter 1 . 7/21/2007
Snape's death was unnecessary I agree. I cried. I expected him to die but not to die in that way. At least Harry got what he sought after all...the truth. I'll mourn Severus death (even if he is fictional). I'll have to emmerse myself in fics that has him survive.