Reviews for Silver Brumby, Silver Nights
wlkwos chapter 3 . 3/21/2013
So Taworri has the reckless courage of the Silver Herd, and goes in search of a beautiful fiery filly - whose sire is indeed Bolder. Ooh, yes, this chapter turned out to be every bit as exciting as it promised, with Taworri coming up against two older and more experienced adversaries, along with an exciting but possibly fickle filly who is interested in him, but may just be toying with him, as she has been toying with Pinchi.

There were passages in the chapter that definitely captured the spirit of the original books - the description of the dancing filly, leaping and playing in the sun, Taworri waking and yet still being in a dreamlike state, Yhi seeing Taworri even through his screen of branches. On the other hand, I remember Bolder being described as "whip-thin", not massive, though perhaps he's put on more weight and muscle as he's aged; certainly happens to stallions in real life!

Taworri deciding to chase Yhi seems a little suicidal, seeing that he's out in the open with Bolder on his heels, and there's the complicating factor of Pinchi too - who may have been driven off by the chestnut, or who may be lurking, waiting for another chance to steal the lovely filly. Admittedly, Taworri does have brains and bravery, knowing when to retreat during this chapter, and despite fleeing from both Pinchi and Bolder, he does at least kick out at Yhi's sire. I get the feeling that Yhi is not the sort of filly who is impressed by just looks alone. As Taworri observes, she's clever, and not above luring an unwelcome suitor into a trap. He'll have to prove himself to be more than a pretty creamy stallion to win her approval.

And then we get a cliffhanger ending, with Yhi running away from her father's anger, after the herd, Taworri also fleeing from Bolder but chasing Yhi, and Bolder thundering after the impudent young creamy, ready to exact some vengeance for his fight with Baringa. Run, Taworri, run!
wlkwos chapter 2 . 4/30/2012
Hah, Taworri has definitely got the courage of the Silver Herd, as well as their trouble-seeking streak. And while he does have manners, he also has a great deal of pride - his spat with the emus reminded me a little of Lightning, who also was fiercely proud of his independence, and also determined to acquire a herd of fine fillies. Taworri does differ from his uncle, though, in that he wants his herd to be silent and bushwise, something never exactly high on Lightning's priorities. Still, it'll be interesting to see whether he tries to win Yhi - she's certainly described as an exciting filly.

I'm wondering if Yhi's sire is Bolder, since he's also chestnut and a killer, though Bolder I think lived on the Limestone. Of course, in the intervening years, he could quite easily have moved to the Suggan Buggan Range - but I'm probably stretching things here. Between Yhi's sire and this colt Pinchi, Taworri could find himself in a lot of hot water if (when) he does go seeking the filly - danger and conflict and action are good ways to build suspense and tension and anxiety in the story, so I'm looking forward to this possible clash. Of course, if Yhi is not owned by any stallion, she may be a very independent-minded mare, who may not want to go with Taworri ... though he is a handsome creamy stallion ... Hmmm.

The story definitely has in places the feel of the brumby books. Taworri's anxiety to be hidden by day, the way he moves through the snow gums, the descriptions of the rocky land - all these evoked the original books for me. And I did like the reference to Silver Brumby Kingdom when Taworri mistook the emus for grass trees. On the other hand, I found the emus' speech almost too formal and stilted, an exaggeration of how they speak in the books; on the other hand, they do prize manners, and their anger at Taworri's pride and contempt was in character for them.

One thing I noticed in this chapter was that there were quite a few typos: "there" was used for the possessive "their" several times, when the emus greet Taworri "looses" is found in place of "loses", there's a brief switch to the present tense when the emu's love for spreading rumours is mentioned, and when Taworri scoffs about the mares of the Ingegoodbee, the male emu pecks at his "male" instead of his "mate". In the first paragraph, "The only purpose from Taworri was head to Quambat was for the fillies" is incoherent, and something like "The only purpose Taworri had for heading to Quambat" would work better. Also in the first paragraph, towards the end, I thought it a little awkward to refer to Suggan Buggan as "the strangely named rocky beings". Just a little later I wasn't entirely certain what the relevance was of pointing out that Taworri isn't named for the brilliance of his coat, especially as it comes right after you've pointed out how he stands out in the dark. The last (nitpicking?) point is the description of the male emu seeming to bark - I've never heard an emu, so I have no idea if this is an accurate description of the noise they make, but it certainly surprised me.

Phew. Big paragraph. With all that said, though, I am enjoying the story as it unfolds. In two short chapters you've introduced Taworri, given him a personality, and thrown a challenge at him. An almost impossible-seeming challenge, in fact, since the filly is independent, the daughter of a killer stallion, and sought after by a very aggressive young colt. Added to that, you've hinted at some other deeper, darker motivation for his actions with Taworri's passing mention to an enemy of his kind down on the Murray. The story is moving quickly, and has enough hooks to keep the reader wanting to find out more. I certainly want to know whether he'll win Yhi!
wlkwos chapter 1 . 4/4/2012
A new cream and silver colt making a name for himself in the south! This should be entertaining and exciting, especially since Taworri has not been taught by Thowra nor any of the others of the Silver Herd the skills he will need to escape both men and horses and he will have to learn on the fly, like Wirramirra. Speaking of Wirramirra, I'm guessing that the chestnut filly chasing Kalina is Bronzewing, which means - as you point out - that Thowra has been gone over a year now, and so it makes sense that the greys of Quambat too have died. Though it makes me sad.

So Taworri is the grandson of Thowra, and a great-grandson of the Brolga - not bad bloodlines for this young colt. But who is Taworri's mysterious buckskin sire? Or is he unimportant? And since Taworri is heading south, what are the chances he will come across his sire there? Then again he is likely to meet Baringa and Lightning at Quambat, though perhaps not at once; certainly there will be other young horses there.

I like your description of the evening and the country where Taworri watches the three horses go past. The phrase "the craggy edges of limestone that jut out from the many ragged rock-faces" has a certain ring to it, though the "it's" a bit later on shouldn't have an apostrophe. Nonetheless, punctuation aside, I do like the images you conjure up - Kalina glinting in moonlight, Taworri strolling through the evening shadows, the ridges and the river and the gums on the slope of the range.

The chapter is a little short, but I'm going to enjoy reading this story, I think. Taworri's challenges are bound to be exciting, especially if he is having to learn all his cunning and skill by himself. And if you make a novel of it, I shan't object. In fact, I heartily encourage it!
Just A Little Birdy chapter 5 . 5/12/2011
hahaha I like this one, keep going!

Did you know there's a section for The Silver Brumby now?
SpookedRabbits chapter 1 . 11/14/2007
Nice, pop, but wouldn't this be better in Misc. Books?

The writing is graceful, but a little crowded. Simpler language often helps a story. More paragraphs would make it easier to read.
stubborn-filly chapter 1 . 7/31/2007
Lovely. You've really captured the essence of Elyne's style. I'm keen to the next part