Reviews for Regrets about the procedure
ThreeKittiesDancing chapter 6 . 11/4/2013
The first part of this last chapter had me wincing and reading through squinted eyes! Edward's clavicle bolt always gets me, every time I see it on him, peeking out from under his shirt. Before, I always figured that one had to be brutal to attach...then I read your story, and had it confirmed tenfold! The imagery of Winry's hair soaking in Ed's blood, and her tears hitting Ed's cheeks as she was drilling that bolt into his clavicle. Very haunting, but still, this story was masterfully done.

The final chapter was so touching, as Al found Winry had beat him to Edward's side, to take care of that final clean-up. (Near as I can understand, Winry had him on pillows, bent forward over his own lap? Hopefully that didn't put too much pressure on his body at that point. But the idea of Winry taking some personal time to be with Ed, and apologize to him for all she had to do to him. Heartbreaking. Thanks so much for this amazing story!
ThreeKittiesDancing chapter 5 . 11/4/2013
The way you describe things really drives home how drastic and complex installing automail is. But the Rockbells have to build Ed a new shoulder, not just attach an arm, so it's no wonder there's so much involved. Poor Ed is just so vulnerable and helpless through all of this, thank goodness he was unconscious for this part!

It looks like the procedures are finally getting to be too much for poor Alphonse, too, as he had more trouble stomaching this part. (I'm right there with ya, Al!). The last line was funny though, as even in the face of such gruesome horrors being inflicted on his big brother's body, Al still thinks of excuses for when he might overlook his promise to himself to never cause Ed pain. It's got to be a "brother-thing"!
ThreeKittiesDancing chapter 4 . 11/4/2013
This chapter just made me cringe-not because your writing wasn't wonderful, because it is-but because of the work being done on Ed to begin building his shoulder port. The idea of them drilling bolts into the poor eleven-year-old's ribs just seemed especially horrific. Ed's going to be nothing but a mass of bruises and stitches once this is done. I can also see his experiences during this time as the foundation for his extreme dislike of needles and doctors. Who wouldn't be, after all this?

The last part of the chapter was heartbreaking, Winry needing to cry, and Al trying to do all he could to support her, and keep her from losing it. The image of the both of them sitting with Ed, in silent support of him and each other was incredibly touching. Waah!
ThreeKittiesDancing chapter 3 . 11/4/2013
I imagine Al will be metally scarred for life, a mere ten year old, having to watch his brother's body being mutilated for the sake of being able to be whole again, and for the sake of Ed being able to return Al to his physical body. It seems like seeing Winry tending to all of Ed's physical needs may prove to be just as scarring to the innocent boy.

Did Al really put in his two cents worth about future steps in Edward's surgery that will force the poor thing to be awake for them to DRILL into his flesh and bone?! That just sounds too inhumane to even imagine! Poor Ed, he really is a walking miracle. I could easily imagine that some automail surgey patients die during the procedure, the pain and shock to their systems being just too much for them, never mind the risk of infection during the recovery process.

I'n still amazed at your masterful grasp of the automail surgery in all it's complexity, as well as the detailed way you write Edward's multiple operations, in-betweens, and aftermath. You must be either a nurse or an automail engineer!
ThreeKittiesDancing chapter 2 . 11/4/2013
Boy, I know in the old days, children started apprenticeships with craftsmen and such at a very young age, but for Granny Pinako to just leave the room, and make Winry do it all herself with Al's help?! Harsh. Talk about having to have true grit, and while they were so young. The idea of Al 'steeling' his nerves enough to step up and help with the first part of Edward's automail surgery is somewhat surprising, but very heartbreakingly touching. Poor Alphonse wants to be useful in some way, and perhaps he feels the need to do something, seeing his brother putting himself through such torture, and Winry having enough strength to carry out the procedures. It's no wonder Edward and Alphonse have such an incredible bond with each other, after all they've gone through together.

I don't know how Al managed to be there for such gore performed on his brother. I was visiting with my Mother in the hospital for something related to her asthma, and a doctor came in to draw some blood. For some unknown reason, he had to draw it with a really big needle, and from her wrist, right between her radius and ulna. I wanted to be there for her, holding her other hand. Next thing I knew, a couple of orderlies were picking me up off the ground, and loading me onto a rolling gurney, wanting to get me checked out. Here's a tip to the uninformed-passing out in a hospital is not a smart thing to do! I felt like Edward in the first anime, trying to escape the doctors.
ThreeKittiesDancing chapter 1 . 11/4/2013
Wow...just wow. This story is so raw and real and amazing. I'm glad this story is told through Al's perspective, because I don't think I could take it from Winry's, with even more blood & guts details of the procedure. Those lines like "bits of Ed being washed down the drain" just burrowed their way into my heart and my brain, and don't want to let go. This series of yours ought to be mandatory reading for all FMA fans. Everyone thinks Ed's automail is so cool, and we all admire his strength and courage to get himself back to functional after suffering such devastating losses from their Mother's transmutation rebound. But Ed literally had to have gone through hell and back again to suffer through automail surgery, and he was barely eleven years old, poor thing!

I always thought it was quite remarkable that people who were like family to Edward were the ones to perform the surgical procedure on him. Usually, doctors don't treat people they are close to, whether it's a conflict of interest thing, or they can't make the best decisions because they're personally involved. But in the era these characters live, less technology, not burdened by regulations, a country affected by war, in a small, rural town, things were different. Still, one of many things I love about your story, is the fact that you showed how much it affected the Rockbells too, Winry especially. She loves her automail creations, but it still tore her heart out to have to be slicing and drilling and pounding metal into her childhood friend.
The Songbird Still Sings chapter 6 . 7/6/2010
One word. Wow. this is awesome writing
GrilledPeanutButter chapter 6 . 5/20/2010
awwww poor Ed... I would hate automail surgery *shutters*

anyhow AWESOME STORY!
Orange Singer chapter 6 . 1/4/2009
Sad face...this was lovely. I ADORE how much detail you put into this. HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THE PROCEDURE DETAILS? My goodness, you sound like a professional automail surgeon! Way to go! I loved Winry's inner turmoil.
Took-Baggins chapter 6 . 1/16/2008
on the whole i really liked this fic, it was great!

do you have more multi-chaptered ones like this? since i've been going through them from the bottom i didn't really look...

anyway, awesome story, seriously!
Took-Baggins chapter 5 . 1/16/2008
i love all the automail-related details you've put in here! most of the time all we see is 'he got automail' or something equally disappointing. it was probably a lot of work to kepp all that straight, huh? at least, it seems like it.
Took-Baggins chapter 4 . 1/16/2008
aw, that was sweet _

that was just...wow, i love it!
Took-Baggins chapter 3 . 1/16/2008
poor Al...

hmm...it seems i can't review any part of this without feeling sorry for somebody. this, of course, makes for a happy Took. _

i really like this one! i's not awkward or funny like Catheter was, but it's great reading!
Took-Baggins chapter 2 . 1/16/2008
it's brave of him to want to help like that, i think, but it's better than sitting around, eh?
Took-Baggins chapter 1 . 1/16/2008
aw, poor Win! i mean, yeah, it was awful for Al to have to sit listening to all that, but to actually have to be involved in the procedure...