Reviews for A Whole Building?
Rye-bread chapter 1 . 5/23/2012
Whoa. This story clicks.

Gotta back up a few paces and come clean. Truth or dare. Your “Jenny’s Letter” story also works because of the sweet style. I tend to write florid. I love metaphores and adjectives. I love bold colors in writing. When viewed in a certain way, “Jenny’s Letter” could come off as almost too nice, rather insipid.

Now, let me get to “The Whole Building?” I’ve never seen TTMR. I had to consult the Wikipedia articles on the movie and book to get the gist. But your story grabbed me just a couple paragraphs into it. And it took me a while to latch on, but I realized I’m reading a jewel, a rarity, a piece of real writing by somebody with some chops.

I found my heart going out to Peter. I was grieved how the world takes sensitive people and turns them into either sodomites or sybarites. I felt like I was reading Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray”, or F. Scott Fitzgerald’s “The Great Gatsby”.

It’s always been my contention that Wilde’s story was actually a morality play disguised as a story of manners. It comes off sounding like “Vanity Fair”, but is just as horrifying as the story of Faustus, with a soul’s gradual decent into monstrosity.

The flighty decadence. The superficiality. The fragile egos. Whether by happenstance or design, the tone of the story matches the tone of these people’s lives. You nail it to the wall. You perfectly capture Peter’s disillusion, and Dickie’s boredom, and everybody’s shallowness and affectation. And of course, the chilling fate awaits Peter at Tom's hands.

I could go on and on, but you get my drift. This story was fantastic. Chalk one up for the talented Ms. Swinburne
twiggy chapter 1 . 6/9/2010
very nice one-shot! though i wish the end were a litte bit more expanded, more feelings. ] very nice overall
B-emo-B chapter 1 . 12/5/2007
live his life with Tom? and then look what happened...

Very well written; I'd always wondered what he meant by "a whole building".

And I cried, bonus for you on that one. I gues I shouldn't have watched the end...
mildetryth chapter 1 . 9/22/2007
Nice one.
demetrus chapter 1 . 8/13/2007
this reminds me, quite fondly, of E.M. Forster's Maurice. Most exquisite. I am charmed.
SunnyRea chapter 1 . 7/30/2007
That was very nice. Peter is my favorite character from this movie and it was nice to see more of him. I especially like how you described his relationship with Marge. Wonderful.
PiosonIvy chapter 1 . 7/29/2007
Simply smashing! A really nice bit of characterisation!