Reviews for To be a Snake or to be a Dragon
Ashlyn Darcy chapter 1 . 7/28/2012
Wow... just... wow. You are a very talented poet! :) I hope to see more of your poems soon!
AlexaGeorge chapter 1 . 3/30/2011
I've always hoped that Draco would become good in the end. For some reason he's always been one of my favorites. I am glad that he and Harry at least somewhat got over their differences in the end. I love the way you took the actual meanings of his name and put into such a good context with the character.
MarginalMary chapter 1 . 3/1/2010
An interesting piece. Very allegorical. Very minimalistic. The diction or rather the consistence in diction is very appealing, both audibly and visually. The stanzas are spaced but not forced. You do not cut a thought abruptly to get 5 lines.

I do not know how I feel about the length of each line or the length of the poem itself. I usually consider efficiency of words and feet to be most effective. However, the scope of the poem justifies its length. The length of line is a personal preference which has no place in this review.

Additionally, I don't think meter was a goal here. Free verse doesn't require it. However, you have written elegant rhythm into each stanza (though not the poem as a whole).

The structure is there (more so than Skinny Models), however something is lost in the chaos of one stanza to another. The "darkness" bleeds into the other "darkness", the description sometime redundant.

In some cases, I think overlap is brilliant-the symbiosis of two opposing ideas; but here I find it confusing.

You present a question, postulate, hypothesis, and conclude. The potential organization would be concrete-methodical. Thus, the power of the poem would increase if the message was more clear.