Reviews for No Laughing Matter
StrungOutOnLife chapter 8 . 11/2/2014
Just wanted to nitpick your Dr. Brightman's words on genetic disorders: there is an X-linked disorder that has almost all female sufferers. It's called Rett syndrome and it's caused by a mutation to MECP2. The males die in utero unless they have Klinefelter's syndrome (47 XXY) or 48 XXYY.
White Light White Heat chapter 9 . 2/4/2011
Great story. Kinda wish it was longer:) That reminds me, I'm still waiting for the next book in the 'Wired' and 'Exile' series:P Great story!
Wuchel1 chapter 9 . 12/23/2007
Gosh, I love how you get the banter between Daniel and Jack just right. That last part had me cracking up. You rule.
Nelarun chapter 9 . 8/10/2007
Dialing as fast as I can, sir. hahahahaha. Well done.

Nela
Khentkawes chapter 9 . 8/10/2007
Yay! A happy ending for all. I'm so glad Taja understood.

Great story. I love the banter, Daniel in anthropologist mode, the intriguing mystery, and the little bits of fact you throw in. You did a great job on incorporating the facts in an interesting way.

A nice and engaging read.
abydonian chapter 9 . 8/10/2007
good job, Daniel! excellent story! very interesting with great characterizations. I look forward to any future stories you write.
Orion9 chapter 9 . 8/10/2007
I enjoyed the story tremendously. Except for a few minor spelling errors here and there, it was compelling from start to finish, and the ending was perfect.

Thank you for writing and sharing this with us.
Eilidh17 chapter 9 . 8/10/2007
"Dialing as fast as I can, Sir" now that just sounds so much like what Sam's answer would be that its perfect. I love a story that is so well written you actually feel like your watching an episode. Well done!
Khentkawes chapter 8 . 8/8/2007
Okay, that was thoroughly disturbing. But ah ha! The title finally makes sense! I never would have guessed the disease because I knew pretty much nothing about it. This was certainly an educational chapter for me, and very fascinating. I always love new bits of information.

The funny line for this chapter: "You two aren’t married or anything are you?" and then Daniel's response "I hope not." He he. Wouldn't be the first time for either of them.

So how's Daniel going to convince them that their own ritual is killing them?
Khentkawes chapter 7 . 8/8/2007
"The Jaffa was like a living representation of Sweden: neutral in all wars between Jack and Daniel." I thought that it was Switzerland that was always neutral? *shrug* Either way, it made me laugh.

Jack was overly mean, but then again, I did wonder why Daniel thought it was safe for Sam to go there. Of course, at the time my theory was that it was something like a leper colony.

Interesting chapter. Good tension and more new words!

Must go read next chapter...
Nelarun chapter 8 . 8/8/2007
You know, in Modern History we just looked at Kuru... I should have placed it then, the similarities... Amazing! I loved these last few chapters! That must have been so hard for Daniel, to know that Taja was going to infect herself with a disease... and to lose her friendship. Brilliant characterisation.

Nela
TiaRat chapter 8 . 8/8/2007
Umm, isn't Kuru incurable?
Thraesja chapter 8 . 8/8/2007
Hmmph. I see backlog of undelivered alerts means you didn't get my PM guess of the condition until after you'd posted this chapter. That makes my investigative skills look so much less impressive. Stupid site.

However, I'm glad I was right. Very sneaky of you. Excellent job using an intiguing condition in a mystery so very well.
Musica Diabolos chapter 8 . 8/8/2007
Very good chapters, keep writing!
Thraesja chapter 7 . 8/8/2007
Thank goodness. Too them long enough. I wondered why Brightman didn't come up with genetic disorder as one of the possibilities. Way to go, Daniel.

A genetic disease only affecting women, eh? Hmm, wonder if it's truly sex-linked, or if it only manifests symptoms in women, but men have it too. Oh, maybe it's a mutation brought on by over-exposure to naquadah, and it's only deadly in a double dose, which ,if the locus is on the X chromosome...yeah, I'm a geek.

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this, Phoenix, and hoping it isn't just a weird gene product interaction with estrogen.

Taja's ability to instantly grasp the symbolism of Daniel's genetic chart seems to indicate a familiarity with written symbols and knowledge transfer, otherwise I'd think the scratches in the sand would have simply baffled her. Maybe the have a written language or at least symbolic art around somewhere for Daniel to find?

Happy writing!