Reviews for The Golden Age
Kawisdom chapter 22 . 4/17
The wizarding world is sedated? That explains the epilogue. Maybe you didn't mean it to be funny, but my cynical self is a little giggly.
Kawisdom chapter 20 . 4/17
Thank you! I only wish I could see the vault caper as it happened.
And here I thought you were hinting at a portrait/Headmistress romance with the champagne.
Being wrong isn't so bad.
patty.clark.792 chapter 24 . 2/12
Extraordinary imagination coupled with talent and hard work should make you a star. I just can't hardly believe how good this story has been. Thank you
Dante Alighieri1308 chapter 24 . 1/4
After coming back to reread this story over two dozen times - at least - I’ve finally decided to write up a review for it.

The Golden Age - as with all of the work of Arsinoe - is one of the best Fan Fictions on this site. The level of detail, quality of writing, and the author’s ability to portray character quirks and traits with just a sentence is really something special. The same can be said about all of Arsinoe's work and she was truly amazing and one of my favorite authors ever. The Golden Age is an expansion on, or rather about everything leading up to and a little bit after, the epilogue in Deathly Hallows. The world we are shown is one that is reordering itself after the Second Wizarding War and it plays out in a very understandable and realistic way based on the characters presented in this story.

However, the whole thing is mired by one realization though. All of this great writing and unique ideas serve one purpose: to make readers forget that this story’s characters are SHOCKINGLY out of character from the books. Such OOC could be overlooked for a lesser FanFic or a FanFic without such a strong attempt at staying true to canon (as the author repeatedly states), but for a story of this quality, I can only attributed it to the author willing herself to forget entire character arcs and key traits from the seven books.

While almost every character is different from their canon, perhaps the MOST shocking OOCs in this FanFic belong to the presentation of the entire Weasley family, Lucious Malfoy, and Snape. All of the Weasleys are extremely unpleasant in this Fic and the author’s dislike towards them is shocking to the point it makes me wonder if we read the same books. Molly is an absolute nightmare to Hermione and is presented as a completely inept mother. Apparently all of her children were screw ups due to her horrible parenting style and did not go on to be a dragon tamer, Gringotts employee, high level ministry employee, owners of a successful start up joke shop, and a pro Quidditch player? Meanwhile, Ron is at his worst and just straight up cruel. While there are serious arguments to be made if Hermione and Ron are a sustainable marriage (which I do not believe they are) the portrayal of Ron is incredibly unfair. Finally, Ginny loses any fire, and can only show the world spite and pettiness before turning into a Stepford wife (though to be fair, trad wife is how she comes across in the Epilogue)

But where the Weasleys are a *choice*, the Malfoys treatment is actually insulting. Apparently, the Malfoys were good all along and none of us saw it! Who knew? To call the explanations that the author gives for Lucious Malfoy “leaps” would be an understatement. By the end, Lucius is presented as an entirely understandable and sympathetic Wizard and nothing like the man who put a cursed diary in an 11 year olds cauldron or spent years stoking hatred of non-magical people in his son’s mind. Speaking of, lip service is paid to Draco who is whisked off to the author’s version of the US Wizarding school (this story was written before Ilvermorny was conceived) and then proceeds to have no other relevance to the plot. It’s an interesting choice for the author who wishes to subvert canon as much as possible yet goes way beyond it to justify all the terrible, horrible things Lucius Malfoy did. As someone who wished JK had spent time actually building a Draco a redemption arc, I was disappointed.

Snape is a whole other matter. As the most divisive character in the series, people have their strong opinions about him and mine are decidedly negative. There are enough pro-Snape stories out there and this is for sure one of the best written ones I’ve seen. I won’t get into too much detail about his portrayal in story to avoid spoilers, but it does involve a very insufferable OC named Jane Rochester who is by far one of my least favorite FanFic OC characters ever. Jane’s only job is to be a mouth piece for the author to say how truly awful and wrong JK got everything… a function every character in this story already serves. Oh, and to make sure Snape gets to live happily ever after. Ick.

But despite those strong feelings, I always end up coming back to this story. Always. “The Golden Age” is a marvelously written, well fleshed out and thought out Hate Fic. I always come back to read it due to the quality of it and the fantasy of these characters going dark, but that’s the catch, “the fantasy.” We can not claim that this is at all how characters in the books behaved or would act. Nevertheless, the author does point out genuine gripes I have with the series with aplomb. And this is still, without a doubt, one of the best fan fictions ever written.
Random reviewer chapter 1 . 8/28/2020
I mean, you pretty much just made Harry react in a way so you can have other characters disagree with him. Somewhat canon compliant actions, but ultimately not very in character... you do get how insanely forgiving Harry is, right? To the point that it’s a bit ridiculous(though, not entirely unrealistic as a personality trait, going by personal experience). This comment is over a decade late but, why? What’s the point? You’re just exploring something in a way it can’t be explored, you’re puppet stringing the characters and treating the criticisms of the actions you make them take as valid, despite them being your own caricatures(well, that’s a perhaps unfair exaggeration on my part). You seem to be attempting criticism or at least exploration of something that simply can’t be explored/criticised fairly without more information, and you’re personally filling in the blanks with your own made up stuff so you can, despite that clearly not being an accurate way to go about it. Sorry, I’m aware I’m reviewing this in a manner that is pretty much just railing against essentially all ffn, as that’s pretty much what’s done in all of them. I half hope you never read this, as it’s more to let off some angst over ffn in general at the moment than necessarily a direct criticism of your work, I mean, I haven’t even gotten past your fairly short if irritating first chapter yet... if that doesn’t show that this is a completely stupid review and unreliable criticism, then I don’t know what does. So, feel free everyone, to just completely ignore this random bit of writing that is fairly pointless, and needlessly long... god, makes it far too easy for random people to anonymously criticise other random anonymous people’s work... aand, that’s me shutting up now.
So, I’m still going to post this, feel free to laugh at it and/or ignore it.
Guest chapter 24 . 8/17/2020
Your final chapter is chilling. Grim reminder that the cost of peace is always paid in blood.

Thank you for sharing this brilliant piece of work.
Guest chapter 22 . 8/17/2020
Sadly I think Hermione and Ginny having their own “mother’s little helper” in order to survive life with their respective spouses and Molly is very believable.

Can’t blame them though. They made the best choices they could in the society they were living in so that they could achieve their larger goals. Doesn’t mean I like it though. Just understand it.
Guest chapter 20 . 8/17/2020
Severus Snape lives is my favorite chapter so far. Living well with Voldemort’s galleons is the best revenge.
Guest chapter 8 . 8/16/2020
The cannon pairings may have been the result of Molly dabbling in love potions that many suspect she used on Arthur. That or she just nagged everyone until she got her way.
Guest chapter 6 . 8/16/2020
I tend to agree that Lucius didn’t know what the diary really was. I think he knew it was a cursed object and wanted to cause trouble for the Weasleys. I honestly don’t think Voldemort had any loyal followers after he came back as a snake thing other than those in Azkaban. Followers out of fear definitely. Lucius doesn’t seem like the type of man who would respect someone who got taken out by a one year old boy with no wand.
Guest chapter 4 . 8/16/2020
Portrait Snape’s speaking the truth Harry is steadfastly and ignorantly avoiding was glorious.
Corwyn chapter 24 . 8/11/2020
Wow! I loved this story. Thank you for sharing it with us.
George1892 chapter 3 . 8/1/2020
Got to say, McGonagall was spot on and I found myself incredibly annoyed at Harry for not seeing it.
JanuaryLestrange chapter 24 . 7/17/2020
Wow. Really good, but really depressing. Thank you for sharing your talent with us.
Jasshan Goel chapter 7 . 6/20/2020
This is talk about all the things which have so much point in them yet i had never thought about those things. This chapter was also amazing like all the others
1,132 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »