Reviews for The Golden Age
Halm Vendrella chapter 24 . 11/12/2012
Your stories are a treat to read, as always. Intricately crafted and almost distressingly insightful, this particular fic is tough to get through, through no fault of your own. The Harry Potter series went rather badly off the rails in the last two books, culminating in that farce of an epilogue that revealed JK Rowling was possessed of one of the greatest of literary flaws: an unwillingness to allow her stories to evolve in the telling. (Endless post-publication retcons notwithstanding.)

Lobotomizing her characters for the sake of reaching an ending she had conceived prior to writing out the series is an absolute tragedy. I'd call it a travesty, but the world was hers to do with as she pleased, and I don't honestly attribute any malice to her decision... merely a gross disregard for where her characters were telling her to go.

"Accentuate the positive," the old song goes: all fanfics are guilty to some degree of idealizing each author's favorites and disregarding or demonizing the rest. Better stories will merely do this to attributes instead of entire characters; rarely do you see a fanfic simply take canon and mercilessly extrapolate it to its logical conclusions. Harry's mental instabilities and ignorance of social graces are flanderized a bit, as are Hermione's more neurotic tendencies and Ron's blithe ignorance, but anyone who denies the possibility of your future occurring out of the train wreck that JKR left us with at the end of Hallows is wearing blinders. There is a certain perverse satisfaction to be had from the imagination that the fairy tale ending is the Polaroid snapshot of desperately unhappy people kept together by inertia, willful ignorance, and substance abuse. I don't mean to sound cruel, but I find it hard to sympathize with the hollow dopplegangers wearing the names and faces of characters we spent five books falling in love with.

All I really mean to say that I realize the purpose of this fic, and applaud its execution. You found catharsis in writing it, if your notes are any indication, and went on to produce the most extraordinary "fix fic" of any genre to be found on this website. One of these days I'll get around to posting a review of The Best Revenge, if that would not detract from far more valuable investments of time... such as re-reading it. Again.
Rebecca Slytherin chapter 7 . 11/12/2012
(I decided that I need something else before I go on reading the second part of "The Best Revenge")
I like how you show how things could develop on after the war. And I really love the way you described Hermione in this chapter. I never really got used to Hermione and Ron together. They are just so different...
Random number generator chapter 19 . 10/17/2012
Oh, boy - story where the Petunia is the most sympathetic character.
Random number generator chapter 18 . 10/17/2012
I thoroughly hate unexplained mysteries.
Random number generator chapter 7 . 10/17/2012
"I don't see any reason not to play with the intervening time." - and I see no reason to not ignore the worst part of cannon.
Kitamu chapter 11 . 10/5/2012
Interesting story so far, but I can't help feeling Harry's been seriously dumbed down for the sake of the story. While he never was the brightest bulb or the most sociable student, he certainly isn't the oblivious nincompoop he plays in this story. He wasn't blind to his parents fault, as I recall he compared his father's gang to Dudley's. Of course he was reassured by the comparison of their rivalry with Malfoy's, but his faith in his father's perfection was shaken and he did feel that what was done to Snape was unfair especially since he had never decided to randomly attack Malfoy.

I did love where this story was going, but once I feel a character's starts getting way OOC to drive the plot of the fanfic, it's no longer enjoyable.
Stellata chapter 24 . 10/5/2012
This is simply the best canon-compatible HP fanfic I have ever read, and one of the best fanfics in general.

I thought the way you portrayed Harry and Hermione was tragically realistic and amazing - even though I usually so love seeing them portrayed differently. I am such a staunch Harry/Hermione shipper most of the time that I almost couldn't believe I kept reading, but the brilliance of your plot, the perfection of the details, and the sheer dumb humanity in all your characters kept me going until I didn't care any more about ships - just about the story. Which is completely as it should be. Thank you for that.

I completely love every plot detail you came up with - the scene with Crouch's portrait gave me shivers, I adored how well you wrote the Malfoys, and of course I couldn't be happier about Snape getting his own happy ending.

Its a splash of cold water to the face for me to see how Harry actually feels about Dumbledore, and how devoted he is to the man - something I forget, having read so many stories that bash Dumbledore.

It is incredible, being someone who escapes to fluffy fanfiction at the end of a long day, to accidentally stumble across something as magnificently intense as The Golden Age. I am truly grateful to you for expanding my horizons, and making me laugh, frown, and cry three different times.

To sum up: this is just beautiful, and you should be very proud of your own creativity. Thank you.
Publicola chapter 24 . 9/26/2012
See, this is why I hate canon, or at least how canon ends. The world-building is great, but you can pretty much guarantee that the wizarding world is either on the precipice of falling apart, or is set to stay pretty much the same for the next millennium and a half. You've done an excellent job of subverting the canon epilogue - I especially appreciate (is that the right word? I doubt it, but oh well) how you've extrapolated Hermione's character into pretty much the 'new Umbridge.' Ugh. Some of the deeds you made her do were despicable. I imagine you got in quite a bit of trouble from Granger fans for that one. All the same, good writing, compelling plot, but an ending that's depressing as all hell. Thanks for the fic.
Publicola chapter 12 . 9/26/2012
At this point, I'm getting the strong feeling that you're turning Harry and Hermione pretty much into the same sort of corrupt and dictatorial leaders that made the wizarding world hell in the HP series. That is... actually quite original. Wish I'd known about it earlier on, but I'll see what I think as it comes.
Publicola chapter 11 . 9/26/2012
This is... distressing. Now, I tend to think that Snape is pretty much as unreliable a narrator as we get, so any accounts of the Marauders as bullies is pretty much highly overstated. However, given that this treats Snape's memory as holy writ, it is very distressing that Harry is unable to see the reality of his parents' past (or, for that matter, his own). This is why I don't like stories that diverge from canon too late in the series - by that point everything's fallen apart and it's so bloody depressing.
gothgirl865 chapter 24 . 9/15/2012
Oh my goodness. Your writing astounds me, this story was amazing. I thought it was such a realistic take on what could have happened after Voldemort's defeat.

Now of course I want to go off and write a fic about what the children of the main characters would be going through if they had to completely break off from the Muggles. This story has so much to think about now that I'm done. Please keep writing, everything I've read from you so far is wonderful.
Sarcasm Dragon chapter 24 . 9/15/2012
Very nice story, though I found the final 3 or 4 chapters comparatively manic. It seemed more like separate ideas that would make their own standalone stories.
Guest chapter 12 . 9/9/2012
I read half way through and I have to say this is amazing even though at times I found it very depressing. The characters all have flaws and I feel emotionally connected to them.
ElectraSev5n chapter 24 . 9/8/2012
Well, now that I'm to the end of the current story, I suppose it's time to comment. This is good stuff. Depressing as all hell, frankly. I like to think that Hermione and Harry are less selfish and foolish than they are here. I think Ron is dead on- I can easily see him never really maturing. But Hermione as psuedo-master manipulator and Harry just as corrupt as the people he hated? That.. sucks. This is a very realistic and thoughtful take on the future that I have just not seen at all. Much food for thought here.
ladyowl chapter 22 . 7/8/2012
This story is unimaginably sad. Maybe I'm reading this story when I'm already down; but I'm finding myself terrified that my life will end up the sort where everything looks fine from the outside, but I'll only manage to keep from screaming by medicating.

Thanks for your writing - it's very touching, even if the touching hurts.
lo