Reviews for The Golden Age
Publicola chapter 24 . 9/26/2012
See, this is why I hate canon, or at least how canon ends. The world-building is great, but you can pretty much guarantee that the wizarding world is either on the precipice of falling apart, or is set to stay pretty much the same for the next millennium and a half. You've done an excellent job of subverting the canon epilogue - I especially appreciate (is that the right word? I doubt it, but oh well) how you've extrapolated Hermione's character into pretty much the 'new Umbridge.' Ugh. Some of the deeds you made her do were despicable. I imagine you got in quite a bit of trouble from Granger fans for that one. All the same, good writing, compelling plot, but an ending that's depressing as all hell. Thanks for the fic.
Publicola chapter 12 . 9/26/2012
At this point, I'm getting the strong feeling that you're turning Harry and Hermione pretty much into the same sort of corrupt and dictatorial leaders that made the wizarding world hell in the HP series. That is... actually quite original. Wish I'd known about it earlier on, but I'll see what I think as it comes.
Publicola chapter 11 . 9/26/2012
This is... distressing. Now, I tend to think that Snape is pretty much as unreliable a narrator as we get, so any accounts of the Marauders as bullies is pretty much highly overstated. However, given that this treats Snape's memory as holy writ, it is very distressing that Harry is unable to see the reality of his parents' past (or, for that matter, his own). This is why I don't like stories that diverge from canon too late in the series - by that point everything's fallen apart and it's so bloody depressing.
gothgirl865 chapter 24 . 9/15/2012
Oh my goodness. Your writing astounds me, this story was amazing. I thought it was such a realistic take on what could have happened after Voldemort's defeat.

Now of course I want to go off and write a fic about what the children of the main characters would be going through if they had to completely break off from the Muggles. This story has so much to think about now that I'm done. Please keep writing, everything I've read from you so far is wonderful.
Sarcasm Dragon chapter 24 . 9/15/2012
Very nice story, though I found the final 3 or 4 chapters comparatively manic. It seemed more like separate ideas that would make their own standalone stories.
Guest chapter 12 . 9/9/2012
I read half way through and I have to say this is amazing even though at times I found it very depressing. The characters all have flaws and I feel emotionally connected to them.
ElectraSev5n chapter 24 . 9/8/2012
Well, now that I'm to the end of the current story, I suppose it's time to comment. This is good stuff. Depressing as all hell, frankly. I like to think that Hermione and Harry are less selfish and foolish than they are here. I think Ron is dead on- I can easily see him never really maturing. But Hermione as psuedo-master manipulator and Harry just as corrupt as the people he hated? That.. sucks. This is a very realistic and thoughtful take on the future that I have just not seen at all. Much food for thought here.
ladyowl chapter 22 . 7/8/2012
This story is unimaginably sad. Maybe I'm reading this story when I'm already down; but I'm finding myself terrified that my life will end up the sort where everything looks fine from the outside, but I'll only manage to keep from screaming by medicating.

Thanks for your writing - it's very touching, even if the touching hurts.
lo
BretheBabbit chapter 24 . 7/1/2012
Wow love this story!
Iskadrow chapter 24 . 6/29/2012
"He shivered at the vividness of the nightmare." - And Harry is not the only one shivering. You did a marvelous job at extrapolating from canon and some of its darker implications throughout this story as a whole, making me feel a little queasy a good number of times, but this dream of Harry's struck a cord with me especially. Gotta thank you, for now I think I have a pretty good idea on how to pull together a variety of stray thoughts inspired by literature about hidden magic, magic seeping back into the world and magic fleeing from this world into a coherent tale. Keep up the good work!
Raven3182 chapter 24 . 6/1/2012
Interesting story. I don't think I've ever come across another story where Harry was quite so vehement about his need for everybody to view his parents as saints. All in all, I think you did a good job of extrapolating on some of the crazy things about canon; it's not a very happy world that JKR gave us. Anyways, thanks for writing!
paddyfoot chapter 21 . 5/30/2012
Just FYI Northern Ireland is still part of the UK. Good story though, don't overly like how you've portrayed Harry and Hermionie but it's a billion times better than most stories where authors find it completely natural that everyone marries whoever they're dating at the end of Hogwarts. Particularly Harry and Ginny who haven't seen each other in a year. Great take on cannon!
DRAGONRIDINGSORCERESS chapter 21 . 5/15/2012
I don't think they call them bedroom communities in the UK, though I'm really only going off Wikipedia (If the link comes through: wiki/Commuter_town )

I'm finding this fic a very interesting read, although I must admit some parts are kind of depressing. I do like what you did with Snape.

DRS
twistyguru chapter 24 . 5/7/2012
...and thus it ends, not in glory and happiness, but in flames, smoke and death.

Well, it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people. You've done a marvelous job of extrapolating from canon, right through to the awful end.

Ultimately, all of Harry's sacrifices and suffering eventually came to naught. I hope that Dumbles' painting is happy with how his grand scheme turned out.
twistyguru chapter 23 . 5/7/2012
Oh, what a horrible chapter! Ron's divorcing Hermione, the Irish are revolting, and Harry's being cuckolded and doesn't even realize it.

Yep, that's about right. You're still playing it out logically, and I can't find anything wrong with it. Utterly awful, that's what it is-not the story (still excellent), but the fates of the people if you hold them to the canon pronouncements.
1,024 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »