Reviews for The Golden Age
twistyguru chapter 7 . 5/5/2012
Wonderful chapter! I really never saw Hermione and Ron together more than briefly; seriously, aside from the fact that he's a clueless Ginger (ALL GINGERS MUST DIE!) git and Hermione's a nagging bitch, they are too dissimilar to ever make a lasting relationship work. Seriously.

I agree with you, kinda, about pranks. Non-damaging, minimal humiliation fun is okay, but there are definite limits. Unless, of course, you're doing a Crank Yankers on a telemarketer who calls during dinner time. They deserve anything you can say to them (and I'll say no more about THAT!).

If Ron drenched my library, I'd kill him. After I castrated him. Probably by drawing and quartering, which, after all, is part of MY ethnic heritage, and who are YOU to deny ME my ethnic heritage.

Oh, and Molly, Mother of All Gingers, MUST DIE!

Damn, I take an evening Adderall, and get all bitchy, don't I?
twistyguru chapter 6 . 5/4/2012
I love the Malfoy's reactions to Harry's story. Delightful chapter, it presents 'the other side' of the story in a clear, cogent way while still being a fun read.
twistyguru chapter 5 . 5/4/2012
I remember reading a story where, immediately after being sorted into Slytherin, the child's magic was permanently bound, leaving them a functional muggle.

It was post-war, and very, very dark.

The Hat, as I recall, didn't have a clue; although, it did wonder why so many children fought so hard against it's decision.

Quite sad, really.

Dumbass Ron would have approved, the bigoted scum. Of course, he's a soulless GINGER, who should all bed drowned at birth.

Hmm...I think I'll have to put that in my next crack fic. Bye, bye, Weasleys!
twistyguru chapter 4 . 5/4/2012
Personally, I think I'd dip both Dumbles and Snape's paintings in turpentine...slowly.
twistyguru chapter 2 . 5/4/2012
Interesting...
twistyguru chapter 1 . 5/4/2012
The sticky question is, and always has been, just how many wizards are there in Great Britain? I wish I knew.

12K seems small, but it may be more reasonable than some others I've seen.

I can't decide just how many people live in Hogsmeade, let alone the whole country.

*sigh*

I LOVE the frustration Harry and Shacklebolt are feeling, but I think it's all too 'realistic'. Everybody does ugly things in war. Well, except for Dumbles, who didn't do much of anything except let the thing drag on and on and on and on.
LaDiablo chapter 15 . 4/24/2012
Oh, you terrific creature, look how you work Ron into the picture! Family and Quidditch indeed. Who knew Hermione could be so very Slytherin?
LaDiablo chapter 13 . 4/24/2012
Harry and Hermione are such terrible people.

It suits them, really. You have a lovely perspective on their characters.
LaDiablo chapter 11 . 4/24/2012
What a delightful song!
LaDiablo chapter 7 . 4/24/2012
I know that you want to play with the limits of canon, cleverly fitting in subplots and twisting it to a more logical, more interesting story, without breaking away from what JKR explicitly states... but this time, could we please nix the Ron/Hermione bit altogether? Let's go AU. You're right, they're terrible for each other.

Speaking of couples who are terrible for each other, Ginny/Harry. You've already mentioned all the reasons you need (cousins, bad fit, hero worship, looks-like-Harry's-dead-mother, COUSINS). I shudder at the thought.

Love what you're doing so far, and so pleased I have another 17 chapters to go :].
Darklooshkin chapter 24 . 4/13/2012
You know, there are times when I wonder why a lot of fanfiction bothers to follow canon when it comes to pairings and somesuch. Isn't the point to, well, provide your own spin on things? To show what you think would have happened if such and such did whatnot with something at a certain time? To take things further? To add a nice little touch of outlandishness to the day?

This is not a criticism of you, mind, merely an observation. Your story illustrates perfectly what a canon compliant fic is like. Your characters are mostly in-character, just as thick and prone to stupidity as their canon counterparts. The chain of events, though cringeworthy in their outcomes, progress as you would expect them to in real life.

And the wizard's greatest enemies are exposed once and for all; themselves.

Yes, it's bleak and depressing, but that's what happens when you make your fic canon compliant. Harry's working for the very people that made his teenage life a living hell, Ron's ronning around, Hermione's... well, not in a nice place I think, what with having to deal with the same prejudices every persecuted minority has to deal with whilst campaigning for the rights of others.

Nope, not a nice place to be. And now, the rest of the world has caught on and, in the age of the internet, all their base will soon belong to the UK government. Perfect illustration of the principle behind 'reality ensues'; get stuck as a backwater culture, get eaten by those that are bigger and stronger.

Thank you for this. I came away feeling like I'd just watched something involving grey skies and funeral dirges, yet oddly satisfied. How fitting for magical Britain to fall at the hands of a tabloid and the laws of unintended consequences (heh heh) to assert themselves in such a way.

As for people complaining about the canon pairings happening... screw it, it's canon. I am a devout H/HR fan myself. Months and months alone, in a hostile environment, with little to no hope of survival? Please. They'd be bonking like there was no tomorrow which, in their case, often seemed to be the case. Why bother with your relationships with other people if you're more than likely to end up dead or worse before meeting them again? But it would not have fitted in here.

Too many fics screw with things in order to pair Harry and Hermione where they don't need to be. You turn the tables here and show just how contrived the canon pairings tend to be if you try and follow them, which you think people would be happy with. It's strange, really. It explored the relationship between Harry and Hermione far better than most romance fics do and, had it not been for canon, the outcome would probably have pissed less people off... But then again, it works far better this way. This was one of the better 'not a happy ever after, ya eejit' stories I've read.

Oh, and one request? If you write a sequel to this, please avoid the virus thing. Wizards and biological warfare aren't a happy combo, especially since the other side has nukes and few qualms with deploying them, given that most of their population is already dead at the hands of those being nuked. It'd just turn into a race for the survivors; who is more likely to kill you, the virus or the radiation?

Anyway, thanks. It was nice reading this.
G Fawkes chapter 22 . 3/9/2012
Sorry (for me, not you) but I quit. May be a new record: Most Chapters Read Before Getting Pissed and Quitting. I DO NOT READ #$ %&*! Ginny stories, and if you put "Harry/ Hermione" in your # $%&! header, then you DO NOT let Hermione marry the Redheaded Dumbf**k, or put the Smelly Firecr**** Skank with Harry!
G Fawkes chapter 21 . 3/9/2012
(a/n reference ch21)

And yet we had to put up with Seamus Finnegan's dumb *ss, and his mom's opinions, or lack of, outside the 'Prophet's' influence.

(And now I wish you a fiery death , for the whole Ron Weasley thing!)
G Fawkes chapter 20 . 3/9/2012
Almost missed the a/n at the end, there (mostly because I never read them, and I guess I only did THIS time because it was such an unexpected outcome)

Anyway. I also hate the way JKR treated the main characters, and pretty much hated all of book seven, most of book six, and alot of five. Seems like I was always re-reading the first four, and then read the last three twice each (the first time through, I only ever gave myself one day to finish them, then the second time, more casually) and then never again. In fact I gave away 5 and 6, and lost 7. Regardless, I am much happier in the AU environment, where I can pair H/Hr, or H/Daphne, or whatever, as long as NO Weasley ever enters the plotlines, unless it is for bashing's sake. Also a wiser, less naive Harry fending off the 'great manipulator' is preferable to the 'sheep to slaughter' aproach.

Still, I NEVER see how anyone can be a Snape fan, canon OR a/u. I guess it goes to human nature, that some are just attracted to the 'other' side. Living in northeast Ohio (U.S.), people here side with the local, 'homer' teams, Cleveland Browns, Ohio State Buckeyes, (Cavs, Indians, etc.) There's always one or two in any croud, and I swear they have a closet full of 'everyone else's' jerseys, just so they can be contrary, and garner attention, even if it's negative. THAT is the only type I can fathom to be a snape fan. (or write a Draco/Hermione fic)
G Fawkes chapter 20 . 3/9/2012
Yeah, never did like that Rochester b**ch. Even though I knew she was up to SOMETHING, what with the cauldron and the pentagram, I NEVER thought of 'saving', or even resurrecting Snape (shudder).

Hmmmm... maybe she could die before it's all over. Yes, that would do nicely.
998 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »