Reviews for The Golden Age
thebetawholived chapter 20 . 11/30/2013
I'm not a fan of Severus Snape. But I liked the chapter anyway.

Very well-written stuff.
thebetawholived chapter 17 . 11/30/2013
This is a wonderfully written story, plausible, with characters that seem true to the books, along with imaginative happenings.

However, it's too close to the world I used to work in for me to enjoy it: it's almost like being in my old job.

Great writing, though!
thebetawholived chapter 13 . 11/29/2013
Ah, mince for dinner. I should have known that was a wizarding thing.

I've always enjoyed mincemeat, especially in pies.
thebetawholived chapter 11 . 11/29/2013
Should have asked dear Narcissa about the party. Tsk, tsk.
thebetawholived chapter 10 . 11/29/2013
Max Rockatansky? Really!?

That's enough to make me . . . dare I say it? . . .

mad.
Flame chapter 20 . 11/24/2013
Well, to be fair, you make your heroes very unlikable. I mean, what Herm and Harry did was truly unspeakable... they are barley better then those they fight against, in that at least they think they are on the side of justice. Jane is annoying (well written OC I suppose), but annoying anyway; and yet is entirely correct. However, the only point is that Harry feels a littttttle OOC. If I remember the end of DH properly, he does feel sorry for Snape, and does agree that his parents were terrible..
MUAHAHAHAAH chapter 15 . 11/24/2013
The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing...
Shubhs chapter 24 . 10/26/2013
Your take was chilling but pretty damn accurate.
Charlie b chapter 6 . 10/9/2013
Okay -ugh. No thank you. Not only are the Malfoys more likeable than Harry, but even Ron is more level headed and laid back than him! Literally no one is nastier and ruder than Harry in this fic so far. I got as far as the bit about the Malfoys at the beginning of this chapter and was just put off by how astoundingly rude Harry was to them, particularly when they were being so polite and lovely it was OOC. Harry is rude, judgemental and socially inept. As a writer, I think you need to make your main character likeable. This is annoying me, so I won't read on. Saying that, i have read your other fics and given positive feedback on them, so perhaps this is some of your earlier work.
Charlie b chapter 5 . 10/9/2013
Harry is not very likeable in this fic, and so far no plot. It all seems a bit random. Still, if some sort of storyline emerges soon I may be hooked, as the writing is still pretty good.
Lola Smith chapter 1 . 10/1/2013
A lasting civilization has to have at least 50,000 people for a proper gene pool.
Very good, though. I like your story so far.
Andrius chapter 23 . 9/24/2013
A really well-written, but depressingly realistic story. It was an interesting read, but I admit, I prefer happier ones.
Mark Geoffrey Norrish chapter 10 . 9/20/2013
"... the touching sight of her husband's eyes shining in unholy glee at Harry Potter's dismay ..."

It's lines like this that keep me reading this site.
Guest chapter 24 . 9/16/2013
Perhaps Jo chose the name of Astoria after Astoria, NY. It is supposed to be a "melting pot" of different cultures. That might have had significance to her. Or maybe she just thought i was a pretty name.

Draco's dream was chilling, and it sounds as if, from the last line about his wife's face, it may be true. Harry's dream sounds more like a portent of things to come. Perhaps it is what WILL happen to Harry momentarily, if Draco's dream has come to pass. Snape seems to be the only one who has escaped the current horrors. At first, I thought he was dying, and everyone was waiting for him to join them. Then he woke up.

This is a beautifully conceived and written fic, but I have to agree with Rexnos ... I'm not sure I'd want to read another one like it. I suppose I am not a big fan of dystopian fiction. My world is in bad enough shape as it is, and I am usually looking to escape from the horrors into something a bit more pleasant when I pick up a book ... or a Kindle or iPad. But that's on me, and I can still appreciate the care and craftsmanship that went into this story.

Everything really was quite negative and depressing, but it did sound probable in the context of canon - and that is one of the important measures, I think. I truly regret Harry's childhood. From the minute that prophecy was blabbed to Voldemort, there really was little hope for Harry to come out unscathed in any way. That is what I disliked about the epilogue. Those three kids - particularly Harry and Hermione - went through h ell that last year, and all of them were probably suffering from massive PTSD. Ron and his brothers saw Fred die before their eyes and didn't even have a minute to grieve before getting back into the frey. Harry took Snape's memories and was expected to come to terms with everything he had seen and learned in a split second and then walk into the forest unarmed. Just seeing those images would have taken a while to reconcile, and he did not even have that luxury of a few days to stop reeling. And btw, how would those 3 kids have known how to save Snape anyway, unless he'd told them? And he did not.

Putting the abuse of the Dursleys aside, from the time he re-entered the Wizarding world, Harry had a target on his head. He was manipulated and used by those who should have been protecting him. It must have hurt to see those memories of Dumbledore, essentially regarding him as dispensable in order to save the world. Snape, of course, was in the same boat, but he'd chosen that role with his eyes open, and his fate was a consequence of earlier choices. Harry never really did have a choice. He put his head down and did what he had to do, from the beginning. In the end, he lost all family and most of the people he'd come to love over the previous few years. Most of them died trying to help him. How does a 17-year-old kid cope with that load of guilt? It's amazing he didn't turn his wand on himself when i was over. Who can blame him for grabbing onto the Weasleys and holding tight.

BTW, I think Rochester is a capital B. She and the Snape we see here deserve each other. They can badmouth everyone together to their hearts' content. It was a great fiction and beautifully written ... but terribly, terribly sad.
Guest chapter 23 . 9/16/2013
"... if Ron and Hermione, once married, fought as much as they do in canon, the marriage wouldn't have lasted more than four years." That would probably be true today, with divorces so easily obtained. However, I know older couples just like them, and some have managed to pass the 50-year mark still doing passable imitations of the Battling Bickersons. Still, I agree about them, really. I would never put the two together at all, any more than I'd put Harry and Hermione together, based on what I read of them for the first 3-4 years. Jo, apparently, felt the attraction between H&R was obvious from about 3rd year.

Based on Harry and Ginny's aborted conversation and Ginny's male companion, I suppose they are the next couple to bite the dust. Sad. They never should have married, either. Ginny was always a strong, independent-minded girl, and I can't believe that would have changed as she aged. Harry, I think, wanted a family so much - he even says as much in his proposal - that he latched onto the only people who had ever made him feel wanted and loved. If I'd been Ginny, though, I would not have wanted to be married just for my family. [It reminds me of the character Teddy Laurence in Little Women, who said he always knew he would be a part of the March family. Presumably any of the four sisters would have done!] I guess she was weak from her accident and under the influence of Mellow Yellow ... a good reason for not making any important decisions at such a time. Frankly, though ... Harry has just been too damaged by everything that has happened in his life.

It sounds as if James Sirius Potter's (I'm still assuming he was named after the two of them) name was cursed - perhaps by Snape. Harry got into plenty of trouble, but he was never a bully; he hated bullies. That's why I'm surprised he would let a child of his get away with such a thing.
997 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »