Reviews for The Golden Age
jeni.arts chapter 24 . 6/4/2014
This was amazingly hard to read. I have read all your hp stories and loved them. This was so depressingly on truth to canon written characters that I was really shocked. I didn't want to finish it with my over developed sense of idealism completely outraged but you write so well and I had to know. The characterization of hermione was really spot on. She would be that driven and open to believing her own ways were best. She was taught that pretty strongly by dumbledore. Harrys character seemed so true as well. A bit befuddled, selfish and easily led. Also filled with self - righteousness and belief he was above the law as well. Great and different story. Fantastic work.
Guest chapter 24 . 6/4/2014
I like what you've done. Personally, I'm very angry at Lily and the Marauders. If I were to write positive fanfiction about them - which I do rather enjoy - I would completely change their characters after fifth year. They were selfish bullies. Peter was a tag along with no moral compass. Sirius was prejudiced and James was a mean bully. Lily does not have good moral regard either, if she is 'proud' of Harry's intended suicide, and if she was that mean to Severus - who I also don't really like. I find their friendship interesting, but I shall never condone their bullying or 'pranks'. Their 'young' age is no excuse. I never did such a thing throughout my entire life, and even the highschool bullies I know never did such outrageously horrific acts like the Marauders. I don't really like Hermione either, but to be honest - your story makes her seem creepy and arrogant, though it does make it rather engaging, so long as it isn't over the top. Harry also annoys me, I think he should make an effort in politics. He's the Boy Who Lived, if he tried I'm sure he could become the next Merlin! Too late now though, he's very bland. Not much of a leader, though he has the very, emphasis on very, fundamental instincts. I really do hope you continue this, after all, it's been six years!
Guest chapter 24 . 6/4/2014
Is the story finished? It says 'Complete' in the summary. Rather confusing, but still, an interesting turn of events.
coccinellee chapter 24 . 5/30/2014
How I love that you bash the marauders! I also love that you made Marietta’s comeback. I always thought it was the most disturbing thing going on in all the books. I have no idea why, granted that many pretty awful things happened in those books… Maybe it’s my moral compass that says that Hermione is supposed to be good? And no Marietta totally didn’t know it would happen to her, seriously Harry! I never stopped to think about it though. They totally had the list of the students, they should have at least tried to find who jinxed her. I totally missed the fact that because she was protecting them was not a good excuse for what she had done to her parents, so thanks for that. She’s so scary!

I loved reading your train wreck. They are so blind and oblivious! And Harry who wants to put the whole planet in jail HAHA that’s brillant. You are absolutely brillant!
Girl-chama chapter 24 . 5/3/2014
I read the story of Lorcan in Dragonsteeth before reading this story, which is many years older, but still as good as anything else you've ever written. I stayed up quite late reading it (currently several hours ahead of the US) and was both enthralled with your realistic take on things and curious about your reaction to JKR's renouncing Hermione/Ron.

All of that said, when I was finishing up reading last night and realizing the nature of how the story would end, pretty much in the same tone throughout, I just had so much admiration for you as a writer, and I wanted to tell you that reading your work, whether its The Golden Age or Victory at Ostagar or anything else, I am just so encouraged and motivated. You inspire me as a writer to write things that are more realistic and gritty and interesting instead of neat and tidy and safe. And I wanted to thank you for that because I feel like reading what you write is going to make me more adventurous and a better writer. Thank you.
Girl-chama chapter 1 . 5/2/2014
Awwwww yeah, so glad that I have saved this story until now. You are the absolute best. Your unforgiving take on reality makes delicious fiction. I'm on it!
Moi chapter 4 . 2/23/2014
Yes. I so loved this chapter. For once Snape was able to tell Harry what he thinks, uncensored. It's refreshing to see McGonagall has finally seen reason, especially regaring Dumbledore's actions. And it is very telling that Harry is still folloging the carfully crafted illusion that Dumbledore meant (him) well.
The Hermione and the Ministry chapter was brilliant. I wouldn't have thought they even had an entire department 'managing' unplanned pregnancies and the horror stories that one covered up.
As sad as it is, Kingsley Shacklebolt was spot on how the aftermath of wars are handled time and time again.
Loved your story so far.
Moi
Alyase chapter 24 . 2/18/2014
This was amazing - and terrible, at the same time. It somehow reminded me of when I first read Dorian Gray - a young, ignorant child who got swept away by life. A very unnerving, realistic story - thanks for sharing it!
Chandagnac chapter 21 . 2/10/2014
Heh. JK Rowling said in a recent interview that maybe she shouldn't have put Ron/Hermione together. She also said that they would have needed "relationship counseling."

All of which makes your story (The Golden Age) frighteningly plausible...

Good stuff!
hwyla chapter 12 . 1/23/2014
Just doing a re-read and snickering all over again regarding Harry's thoughts on wizards who confound driving examiners - snert! glee!
Reviewer chapter 5 . 12/12/2013
Hermione will always be Hermione Jane to me, because Jane was also Umbridge's middle name and it was a refreshingly subtle touch by JKR to show how the two are alike.
thebetawholived chapter 24 . 11/30/2013
Ending was rather intense. Good story but not very comfortable to read.
thebetawholived chapter 20 . 11/30/2013
I'm not a fan of Severus Snape. But I liked the chapter anyway.

Very well-written stuff.
thebetawholived chapter 17 . 11/30/2013
This is a wonderfully written story, plausible, with characters that seem true to the books, along with imaginative happenings.

However, it's too close to the world I used to work in for me to enjoy it: it's almost like being in my old job.

Great writing, though!
thebetawholived chapter 13 . 11/29/2013
Ah, mince for dinner. I should have known that was a wizarding thing.

I've always enjoyed mincemeat, especially in pies.
1,009 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »