Reviews for Giving Extras
lovemya2000 chapter 9 . 4/10
matchynishi chapter 9 . 3/16
Wow. This was wonderful. I absolutely loved this, and enjoyed it a lot. It's a pity if it's abandoned, as it looks like it hasn't been updated in a couple of years... but even so, thank you for sharing - i really enjoyed reading this. Following it just in case. :)
Mu-Nition chapter 9 . 12/6/2013
I love this. Severus and Luna are my two favorite characters, and that is just the icing on the delectably written cake. The emotional subtleties here are wonderful, and handled wonderfully.

I know it has been a while, but I would love for you to continue this. Thank you for a great read.
watin77 chapter 9 . 1/13/2013
i'm sorry about your friend's death, but i do look forward to you (possibly, hopefully) finishing this story. i've been (re)reading some of your fics and really enjoying them- even your authors notes, which in other peoples' works i often just skim.
MuggleCreator chapter 9 . 1/8/2013
Nice stuff. Every bit of these memories... I just love the way you pick them apart. The analysis is well-done and very welcome.
Glad you're doing this; Severus deserves a second chance!

Hope it keeps coming.
susannajulia chapter 6 . 12/11/2012
Nice idea
JackaMalfroy chapter 9 . 11/3/2012
I hope you'll update this. It's very interesting story.
wynnleaf chapter 9 . 10/6/2012
Good to see this continued! Snape reliving the memories gives a unique opportunity for us, through him, to explore his actions and thoughts as a child, and Luna is great at providing the ongoing grounding that these were a *child's* experiences. I like seeing Harry remind Snape and the reader that really young Snape's actions and feelings were not necessarily so different from Harry as a child. Snape perhaps had learned to look at his past as evidence of his guilt and unworthiness of Lily, while in reality, he wasn't acting any more "awful" as a boy than should have been expected in the circumstances.
Hebi R chapter 9 . 9/30/2012
So glad you are still around and posting; this chapter was amazing.
trekker2002 chapter 9 . 9/30/2012
So glad to see this is still being written and such a lovely long update too. I can only echo what others have said, the characterisations are so good and you really have got under their skin. I love stories which resell the story from Severus perspective since he was by far the most interesting character in the series,but so much about him was left unsaid.

Thanks for all your efforts.
Blackpenny chapter 9 . 9/30/2012
I'm glad you decided to take this up again. It's always been a favorite.
tearsofphoenix chapter 9 . 9/30/2012
I don't know if, starting this story, you had in mind all the potential that it could explore, but with each update it reveals itself, and it's something unique, something not seen elsewhere, because Snape lives everything a second time, here, and we are finally able to see everything that happened to him through his eyes:

"He could feel the watching child's hunger, too young for desire but wanting beauty, wanting company, wanting another wizard brat he could talk with and not be a freak anymore, who would share his language: wanting - his older self grimaced - someone he could show off to, to whom he could be the wise all-knowing dispenser of knowledge instead of the awkward freak at the back of the classroom, too obviously clever and too ill-mannered and odd-looking ever to be accepted."

Here it'ss really *him* speaking, and he tells us the true story.

It's also great the way in which the various ages, in the Pensieve and in reality, interact, for Snape as well as for Harry, and I especially find brilliant the fact that both couldn't have considered some events in a different way, when they were youngsters, but now they can, and they do it. It makes me wonder about the way in which JKR puts some uncurbed need for reactions, and bad ones, in both boys - and you explain it wery well also with the comparison to Hagrid's *real* age, and through all the examples with Petunia, aunt Marge etc - because her choice seems to hold the boy's growth in a world of black and white, and it doesn't seem a right message to the young readers, even if probably it is a captivating and sympathetic one...

Passages like these, on the contrary, are what one needs to hear:

" With that same hindsight, he could see that he had not understood Lily's need for Tuney's regard because to him it was normal that family members should be at odds; nor had he cared much about her scornful glance, so long as she didn't walk away, because it had seemed normal that even the people he was closest to should treat him as negligible and he had known dimly that he had lost the chance to be anything else to her, that day in the copse when he had failed to tell her his true feelings."

and

""Yes," Severus said with a sigh, remembering conversations his portrait had had with Potter and with Longbottom. "If one has - low standards in one's own upbringing, it's hard to adjust to other people's expectations. And I too felt that so long as I wasn't actually hitting the students - which, please remember, was the norm when I started at Hogwarts, as well as at home - then I was doing all that could reasonably be expected of me, and I never expected that the students would take my - my purely verbal tempers so seriously."

Thanks for another splendid journey through memories, canon events and, ultimately, life... included what I think to spot being somehow quoted in these last lines.
Lordban chapter 9 . 9/29/2012
Some very inspired dancing around Petunia Evans, I see.

Glad to see this resumed. The quality of your characterizations remains outstanding, and not the least because character traits and reactions don't pop out of thin air here. Everything has an explanation.
duj chapter 9 . 9/29/2012
In haste (because it's 5am and I have a long day of cooking ahead, and no sleep so far, but I couldn't not read or review this):
You do Petunia (and Vernon) justice, which is exceedingly rare. Snape, too, which is less rare - although few people manage to be simultaneously as evenhanded about Lily, let alone Bellatrix.
It occurred to me while reading that, by the end of the three weeks, Luna might have another solution to needing the bedroom for her sons, and instead of turfing him out, she might remind him that there's another bed in the place, and it's big enough for both of them. But of course that wouldn't occur to him, and I see she's too sensible to wait till the last minute to think of solutions.
Lordban chapter 8 . 9/1/2012
Well, I certainly hope this excellent story is resumed at some point. When a story departs so very far from usual conventions OOCness is almost always a given; it is a testament to your qualities as a writer that you've avoided that pitfall.