Reviews for Dissection
shikome kido mi chapter 2 . 9/25/2009
Interesting beginning. It's very appropriate that things start with mysterious events and dreams, because that's how Cthulhu's last brief stir began. Well, those and madness, but there's an undercurrent of that here, as well.

Lovecraft and Eva fit surprisingly well, perhaps because they're both about giant monsters with unnatural powers that surpass human technology (Eva surpasses a bit less, but it still takes lobotomized monsters to fight monsters) and tie the origin of the human race to said monsters.

There's the whole Adam/Lilith thing in Eva, whereas in Lovecraft, humans are an accidentally by product of a Great Old One used by the Elder Things to manufacture lifeforms. Interestingly, the giant monster that created humans in Evangelion was found in Antarctica and so was the one in "Mountains of Madness".
Sydonai chapter 1 . 5/12/2009
Hary ToptotenNyarthotep. Am I right?
Tail Kinker chapter 2 . 3/17/2008
Nice. I approve. Keep writing, I want more! :)

Also, I have written my own EVA/Lovecraft crossover, back when I also thought that SSM and CoaEG were the only ones out there. It is entitled Fear, and can be found on these archives on my page.
MLantz chapter 1 . 9/12/2007
Hary Laptoten is Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos, a creation of Lovecraft's. In the Cthulhu Mythos, he/it is the servant and messenger of the Outer Gods, and is said to have a thousand forms/avatars.
Howard Philips Lovecraft chapter 2 . 8/29/2007
This is directed not so much at the author as at some people who have left reviews.

Cthulhu isn't evil. He's a being who can create and destroy worlds, and he doesn't care about the human race at all, except in the way it might bother you if you saw roaches in your house. He also happens to have been taking a nap in the now-sunken city of R'lyeh for the past two or three billion years, but he will awaken when the stars are right. He isn't evil. He's an alien, with an incomprehensible alien mind, and he doesn't care about us. AT ALL.

Nyarlathotep has a tiny fraction of the power that beings like Cthulhu has. Nyarlathotep DOES care about us. He despises humanity and for thousands of years it has amused him to trick and torment us. He's the only one in Lovecraft's cosmos who has any strong opinions about the human race at all.

And yes, there are other beings and other powers in the universe he wrote about. The Great Old Ones and the Elder Gods are generally opposed to one another, and the Great Old Ones fight among themselves. Occasionally one of the Elder Gods, like maybe Nodens, will assist a human, if they share the same goal and it's not too much trouble, but by and large the Elder Gods don't care about us either.

This can't be emphasized enough. Tsathoggua doesn't care about us. Yog-Sototh doesn't care about us. Azathoth doesn't care about us. Cthulhu doesn't care about us. Nodens doesn't care about us. Cyäegha doesn't care about us. Nyarlathotep thinks it's fun to torture us, and that's about it. None of them is good or evil in any way that makes sense to humans. They're alien, all of them, and they don't care about the human race, just as we don't care about fleas or bacteria.

Any of them might destroy our world, or even our universe, on a whim. Or not.
O'toole chapter 2 . 8/27/2007
Very good! Although I've seen this style of writing in other fics, you're one of the few to make a good use of it. It's been awhile since I've read Lovecraft, but this seems to capture the mood and onsetting (I think that's the right term) madness of the characters.

I did have a complaint:

The scrolls: It always bugs me when an author pulls these out as if there magic tomes that should have everything down to what Shinji makes for breakfast and any deviance is cause for panic (Okay, I'm exagerrating a bit, but I think I got my point across). The scrolls that SEELE and Gendo have are just the part that was'nt realesed to the public and it is merely a loose schedule of the angel attacks, nothing more, nothing less.

Really, you are'nt guilty of that (I just like to ramble sometimes), but I don't see how Kaji would know of those particular scrolls (after watching the series a few times, I still think Kaji found out barely anything of use or that could'nt be discovered with logic), as the regular scrolls that did'nt have the angel schedule would have been released without controvery for decades.

But that's just nitpicking.

I did think of a strange way to tie NGE and Lovecraft. In secondary canon, it's revealed that Adam and Lilith were created by a mysterious race known as the First Ancestral Race. Now, it has been awhile since I read Lovecraft or delved into necronomicon myth, but was'nt ther a force that opposed Cthulu's masters? I just thought that the FAR were kind of like them, and it would explain why Cthulu and his masters would want to destroy the human race, as the completion of the human instrumentality project wouldgive birth to a being that would have mastery of the mind and body, something that could definetly fight Cthulu (who's partially in the regular world) and have a chance of beating him, and possibly hold back the elder gods. Course, there are problems with that, but it's just a suggestion.

Woops, got carried away. I still need more before I can tell if I'll enjoy this story, but it looks promising.

Best wishes,

PS. Please email me the omake
Cyber-Undead chapter 2 . 8/27/2007
Great chapter! Rei's involvement in painting R'lyeh came out very well. Especially seeing as she is so fond of swimming. ;-P

For the life of me, I can't really figure out why is Gendo depositing so much trust in Kaji. He could've just ordered him to "spill out the beans" and detail his dream... Another intrigue/manipulation for the Bastard King, hey? _

Shinji Ikari, servant of Azathoth or Nyarlathotep? :-P

"[O]utside the ordered universe [is] that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes."

- H. P. Lovecraft, "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath", in "At The Mountains of Madness", p. 308.

I would also very much like to read your second Omake. Deeply appreciated if you could send it via e-mail to me. :-)
Fifth Horseman chapter 2 . 8/26/2007
Very well done my friend. The way you have taken a slow, almost gentle approach to building the suspense is excellent and the chapter flows very smoothly. Nicely executed

by the way 'Update soon'.

You just knew I wasn't going to be able to resist that didn't you?
Dartz-IRL chapter 2 . 8/26/2007

Not much more I can really say. Everything was just right for me, a nice flow, a nice balance between description detail and narrative speed, and some good plot development.

I guess, we may have a future classic on your hands... just get it off this mass production dreg of a site...

Shadow of Chaos chapter 2 . 8/26/2007
Your story really captures the whole feel of the Cthulu Mythos. People are confronted with something that cannot possibly exist, yet does, and then try to rationalize it in their own terms. When that fails they will have to accept the truth no matter how horrifying it is. I especially look forward to Gendo's reaction to realizing that despite setting himself up as a puppetmaster and attempting to control the fate of the world, there are forces at work in the cosmos far too vast and terrible for his feeble human mind to comprehend.

Demonbane is not for everyone, but I liked it. There are plenty of flaws, after all most videogames adapted to anime have them, but it was still good. A lot of it differs from the established mythos, but Nyarlathotep is still the same scheming manipulative bastard as always, except, well you will see. I don't want to spoil it for you. And Dr. West has to be one of my favorite comic relief villains of all time. I hope you enjpy it, but if not I have nothing against you, after all everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I hope that you decide to continue this wonderful story. There are so few good Evangelion crossovers nowadays, and this is definitely one of them.

Good luck in all of your future endeavors, Shadow of Chaos
DG Friendly chapter 2 . 8/26/2007

*Decrypting Transmission...*

Good, very good.

I just wonder, what are the ones who know what is going on doing?

There must be at least one or two professors at Miskatonic University in Arkham anxiously re-reading the Necronomicon and other dark books in hopes of finding a parade to the rising of R'leyth.

Or if you choose to add later Mythos works, Delta Green, MJ-12, PISCES, GRU-SV8 and other agencies must be gearing up for the Endtimes, hoping to take as many of the bastards down with them as they can. All the while, the Mi-Go and other elder Races would be quickly trying to pack up as much of their stuff before leaving in a hurry, greatly increasing UFO activity until it's impossible to deny it any longer. And in the shattered remains of the Antartic, the last of the Elder Things must be mustering their remaining forces for one last confrontation with the Great Old Ones.

No matter what you choose, the End has come. But if DG is involved, this Night at the Opera would be a grandiose one indeed. If not, well... we won't even manage to make the Deep One population go down.

*You have been cordially invited at a Night at the Opera. Bring your best bottles of champagne, your subscription is coming at an end.*

Deception is a Right

Truth is a Priviledge

Innocence is a Luxury

No Future

Delta Green Friendly

*Encrypting transmission... Protocol Alpha Omega 1 activated...*

LastStandofAchilles chapter 2 . 8/26/2007
Well, its another good chapter, I really enjoyed reading it. Seems like Cthulhu is back in town, with all theses weird dreams they seem to be having.

About the Howard Philips Lovecraft review, he does make some good points, however, the Angels could also be seen as some of the Elder things, ready to swoop in on Earth tomorrow and cause chaos. Are they in part because of what we humans did? Of course, but does that mean we control them? Hell no. Myself, I feel the worlds are compatible at some level, not completely, but still, close enough to make a coherent story out of. Anyway, keep up the good work, and I look forward to reading the next chapter.
3 Musketeers chapter 1 . 8/2/2007
Awesome fic. Write more please.

And be quick. I dislike waiting.

The sun could be blackened tomorrow and we could all be reduced to subatomic dust and then I'd never know what happend.
Howard Phillips Lovecraft chapter 1 . 7/30/2007
There are two other NGE/Lovecraft crossovers I know of. One is Children of an Elder God. The other is Sic Semper Morituri.

Lovecraft and NGE on the surface share many creepy ideas in common: characters who are not what they seem to be, madness-inducing secrets Man Was Not Meant To Know, strange and alien goings-on in Antarctica. Maybe Anno read Lovecraft. I don't know.

But beyond the surface, when we look at the structures of the stories, NGE and Lovecraft are different, perhaps fundamentally incompatible.

NGE is superficially a giant robot war story with hints of conspiracies and cosmic horror, and beneath the surface a rich human story about human beings being stretched to their breaking points, which deeply explores their minds and their relationships to one another.

Lovecraft is superficially pedestrian pulp horror stories peopled by somewhat eccentric, not especially well explored characters who are there mainly to pry the locks off the covers of the Forbidden Books of Evil Alien Magic and go gibbering insane upon reading the contents, or to disturb the ancient pre-human artifact and then get their heads snapped off and munched like so many celery sticks by Things From Beyond.

At base, at its core, NGE is all about the people.

At base, at its core, in Lovecraft, humans are of less significance than the fleas on the back of a raccoon run over by a drunken teenager who's upset because his girlfriend gave him the clap.

NGE's dystopian world and horrific ending are human creations, resulting from human decisions.

In Lovecraft, any time now, any day now, Azathoth might on a random whim extinguish the Sun, and unmake the Solar System down to the subatomic particles, and perhaps, again on a whim, he might feed our souls to Yog-Sototh, the Eater of Souls. Or not. And it wouldn't be because of anything any human being did or didn't do. Cthulhu is vastly more intelligent than any human being, but if he is aware of our existence, it is only in the sense that we notice that there is an ant in the sugar bowl, and something will have to be done about the pests.

NGE is humanistic, with its fully realized, flawed, lovable human characters, set in a world, however flawed, that human beings created.

Lovecraft is utterly nihilistic, set in a terrifying and forbidden cosmos where there are indeed higher powers than man, but, at best, they don't care about us, at worst they view us as food or objects of amusement.

So I have never seen what you're trying to pull off here done well. I am hopeful. You seem to have a grasp of language that's far above the average here in the Pit of Voles and that's always a good sign. But Lovecraft and NGE are very different in tone, and at bottom are based on very different ideas about the world.
Shadow of Chaos chapter 1 . 7/28/2007
Interesting story. Not many people do good crossovers with the Cthulhu mythos, but yours seems to have potential.

I know many hardcore Lovecraft fans may not like the show, but ever since I saw it, I have wanted to see a Demonbane/Evangelion crossover. If you haven't seen the series you should look it up. That anime's version of the Necronomicon (Al Azif) and Asuka meeting would be funny as hell even if it's just a oneshot.

Other than Demonbane so few anime's use the Cthulhu mythos in anything but passing reference or cameos (Cthulhu lookalikes). I have lost count of the times I have seen something in an anime, book, videogame, or cartoon making reference to Cthulhu, which is a shame since it has so much good material.

I hope that your story will inspire other authors to use this mythos in their stories.

Your story has great potential, I hope to see more of your work soon.

Good luck in all of your future endeavors, Shadow of Chaos