Reviews for Firebrand
KittyLynne chapter 1 . 7/29/2007
This was an enthralling read. You've painted a picture with words that's incredibly vivid, and which invokes all of the senses. Your pacing was great! You build on the taut, tense suspense of someone being stalked right up until the shocking moment where the prey is cornered and forced to strike back against the hunters.

Tasuki's narrative gives terrific insight into his state of mind as well as Miaka's. Both of their personalities really come out even more in this, and you did a great job in keeping them consistent with how they were in Dancer. The Fire Wizard's intensity and passion seemed familiar, yet different. He's less controlled with his power, and living much more on the edge than his canon namesake.

I realize that you intend this to be a complete, stand alone accompaniment to 'Dancer', but there are so many questions raised and left unanswered for me that I can't help wanting it to continue.

Yes, I'm greedy. P

I'm also impressed. Excellent work.

_

Hugs,

KL
Tayk chapter 1 . 7/29/2007
It lacks the mystery and charm of Dancer, but in its own way it's just as good. The way the narrator - Tasuki (he doesn't act much like Tasuki, so I forget sometimes) - describes things, well, it just kind of pulls you in. It intrigues me, and I want to know more about what seems a world with very strange rules indeed.

I love insight into any character. I don't know why; I just do. This is so different from Dancer, but I still like it just because it provides more insight into Tasuki and his mysterious love.

Perhaps it would have been more effective, had it been from her point of view - describing the man she loved and his strange abilities, and his obviously sadistic side. But I like it all the same.

I know I'm not making all that much sense. It's nearly midnight and I shouldn't be reviewing when I'm mostly asleep, but what the hey.

Long review short, I liked it. It's a lot different, and it doesn't make much sense sometimes (a good thing, in this case) but I really like it.

Thanks for writing this!