Reviews for What Lies Beneath
thebetawholived chapter 20 . 12/28/2016
Delightfully creative, and *different.* I thoroughly enjoyed this story!
Guest chapter 20 . 11/2/2016
Wicked Fricken Story!
Had me realllllly concerned to the end - and even now I'm not sure whether I'd want to read a sequel or not.
Oh who am I kidding, I'm hooked!
Great Job
M
WyldeHeart chapter 20 . 10/14/2016
Very rarely am I able to find a fan fiction that's so perfectly executed. This was absolutely fantastic, and although it is likely you will never read this review as the story finished many years ago, I think it's worth noting how much I enjoyed reading this. Seriously, my eyes are burning from staring at the damn computer screen for so long.
BillBrink chapter 20 . 10/9/2016
Good story, well written, tight action, good characterizations, nice finish. Thank you for sharing it.
Fate chapter 20 . 10/1/2016
Alright, am I really the only person who think this last chapter absolutely TANKED the story? I mean, before it, it might be a 7/10, mostly because I'm not too fond of stories this absurdly dark. But I'm going to go straight to 5/10 because of what happened here.

FIRST: How and why did the killing curse only destroy a little bit of Voldemort's soul? Moreover, how did Harry survive it if he wasn't meeting death with open arms as he had to in canon? Furthermore, if the killing curse only destroyed a tiny bit of that soul, why is Harry suddenly not influenced by it anymore?

SECOND: Voldemort and Thomas's plans are stupidly complicated and completely SOD ruining in how /literally everything in this story/ was because of them. Seriously, Thomas's fucking with Harry is practically Professor Zoom level. "Do you remember that you went on a terrible date with Cho Chang? It was me, Harry, I was Cho Chang!" Except Zoom was an insane time-traveler with superspeed from the distant future, so as ridiculous it was, at least it was /believable/.

THIRD: How is the entire ministry not after Harry after all the shit he pulled? You think he just gets exonerated since he had a bit of Voldemort in him and then he killed him? He shouldn't be able to step two feet outside without being dogpiled by aurors.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, holy shit that ending was rushed. Harry just sort of... evaporates Voldemort with love? I guess? And then BAM half a page and then ending. Seriously, that's the literary equivalent slamming into a brick wall at 20 MPH.
dbreezy93 chapter 20 . 9/14/2016
DUDE SEQUEL
Schlepian chapter 13 . 9/14/2016
I feel like things are becoming way to unbelievable in this story.

Voldemort commanded Mr. Davis to... House Harry all summer, drive Harry insane so that harry Cast Avada Kedavra on his daughter, but not kill her. Mr. Davis attacks but ends up losing to Harry's sneaky stunner... Then Harry rips out false memories and information out of his head that leads Harry to Little Hangleton...Where he happens to find a dead snake, which he then touches. Just so happened that snake was a portkey, after the trials of the portkey Harry runs into Dumbledore...

Of course Voldemort knew all of that would happen and drive Harry straight to Voldemort... what kind of convoluded lucky plan BS?
Ibskib chapter 20 . 8/18/2016
Seems like Harry got turned into Tom Riddle after all, albeit one seemingly capable of love despite his darker nature.
Grand Witch Alliance chapter 20 . 8/4/2016
The earlier portions of the story seemed a bit too rushed. I get how you wanted to go straight to Harry's changing, but why not just start it at a different point and perhaps show the first chapter in a vision or something? Since most of what Harry saw was false anyway, I don't feel there's a point in cramming about 3 years worth of material in the first few chapters.

I also have mixed feelings about the ending. Some part of me is wishing you didn't end it in such a cliffhanger fashion if you weren't planning a sequel. Another part is reminding myself of similar stories I've read that ended in such a fashion that I've had no problems with.

Lastly, while I'm very satisfied with what you've done with Harry, I'm not so satisfied with anyone else in the story. I think this goes back to how you've basically mentioned a bunch of characters in several years of Harry's beginning years, but never followed up on any interactions with most of them. Even with as much of what you've done with Tracey, Harry barely had any interactions with her for most of the story. He's had just about as many meaningful interactions with Dumbledore, who doesn't actually play that big a role in this story.

Regardless of the weaker interactions with the other characters, I can tell Harry was well worked on. You've effectively fooled the reader (me) into thinking that most of what was happening in Harry's visions were real. I never bothered to think of Harry's fifth year in canon in which Harry gets Sirius killed by sending him false images, at all.
Guest chapter 5 . 7/25/2016
I rate this an E!
GreenAlien123 chapter 20 . 3/27/2016
Brilliant, this is a masterpiece! :-)
FYI chapter 20 . 3/15/2016
Just to let you know, this story and your other story, "Ruin" have been stolen by a user called Harry Kane, user ID: 5119517.
FromageFondue chapter 20 . 2/14/2016
Excellent story. I picked this story up earlier today, and could not stop reading. Right now, I'm too tired to write a proper review. I'll do that once I get some rest and my mind becomes a bit more coherent. Anyways, great work! Thank you for sharing this amazing story.
TheZeitgeist chapter 1 . 1/10/2016
Bravo. Amazingly well done. A couple typos here and there, but I can (and did) overlook that in favor of the general quality of the work.

Simply great. I only wish there was a sequel, but I suppose one can't have it all. This is definitely one of the best stories I've read.

Have a great 2016.