Reviews for Shifting
PurplePicklesUnite chapter 1 . 8/8/2007
Great! Explains why he always wants to drive! Except the grown-up Booth hardly ever pays attention to the road, lol.
AnabelleG chapter 1 . 8/4/2007
Lacey...one of my favorite things in fic land is when an author fills in the empty places in their backstory...you have created a wonderfully believable moment here...kudos to you chica...
Amasayda chapter 1 . 8/2/2007
Well done (as always ;-) )! - You've created a very believable and still funny "first time" for the CBPC! :-) I always love to read what you've written ... and this little one-shot was nice.

Usually, I don'T thnik about the characters and what they were doing or like BEFORE we get to know them on the show. And if I do, it doesn't go back to "teenage-hood" only to 5 years prior to the show ... so, I'm always interested in what others think about the characters we love so deeply! :-) Now, I know what you made up for Booth's past! :-) Thanks!
fanofbones chapter 1 . 8/1/2007
lace...that was wonderful...so cute...

perfectly written for Booth

fab
Musik34 chapter 1 . 8/1/2007
I will be very surprised if this doesn't place.

I can connect with this story hugely, since I am currently learning how to drive. I feel for young Seeley, his reactions are just like my reactions, lol.

Your descriptions are so well-written as usual, and the flow is perfect. I loved how you provided background, and the contrast between the two brothers. I can totally picture Booth as being the kid who skipped math class and got into trouble.

My favorite line, just out of sheer irony, was, "His father chuckled at hearing his son compare driving to what he hated the most in the entire world-math and everything scientific"

Betchya Booth never thought he'd be partnering with the thing he hated the most, lmao!

Good luck in the challenge!

_Musik
Sarah9488 chapter 1 . 8/1/2007
This was really good. Liked the describtion. Congrats to your passed driver's license
saturn567 chapter 1 . 7/31/2007
haha, now we know why! Great way of explaining things!
goldpiece chapter 1 . 7/31/2007
Thanks for submitting to the July Challenge. Good luck and I'll see you at the finish line.

Goldpiece
labsquint chapter 1 . 7/31/2007
Great one shot piece!

I confess to laughing out loud several times because this took me back to when I learned to drive on a stick shift and, as Booth did, bunny hopped the car several times. So I was feeling mighty empathetic towards young Seeley here.

I loved the way you used driving as the analogy of his relationship with his brother: "He'd always be in control behind the wheel of a car. Driving provided him with a way to escape the shadows his brother's perfection cast upon him." Loved that line; it gave great insight into his younger psyche, that carries over to his adult mindset.

I know that we don't know much about Booth's family yet, but I was intrigued by your take on it. It seemed very real and natural.

Another wonderful piece of fiction!
jerseybones chapter 1 . 7/31/2007
FUNNIEST LINE: "Right, girls," Seeley sighed. "I know girls. I'm good with girls."

(Yeah baby, don't we know how good you are.)

BEST LINE OVERALL: 'Driving provided him with a way to escape the shadows his brother's perfection cast upon him.'

(Poor baby, you are perfect, exactly the way you are)
jemb chapter 1 . 7/31/2007
I think this is one of the most awesome stories you've written.

The concept is genius - using Booth's first driving lesson. Driving has always been a big part of the show (my mind immediately goes to the episode The Woman At The Airport, where Booth looked particularly miffed that Brennan was driving) so it was great to see that utilised. it was a subtle 'first' to use which i think mad the story so much more realistic.

Towards the end, your explanation of how his first driving lesson led to him being the way he is now is totally believable. You have definately met the challenge here.

In the characterisation category - I think you captured a teenage Booth particularly well. It can be difficult to imagine a character when they were younger when you don't have a whole lot of information to base it on. But here, I can totally picture it :)

I also liked the way you described his older brother and how Booth related (or didn't) to him. We don't know much about that character yet so it will be interesting to see how close you got when he makes an appearance on the show.

Booth's father was also a good character. The way he spoke and the words you chose seemed to fit very well. And I love how you portrayed him so proud of his son. Again, we don't know much about the Booth family so you did a good job creating a character from very little information.

As is becoming standard, your actual writing is really good. It flows from sentence to sentence and paragraph to paragraph. The descriptions are vivid and I have no trouble visualising the scene before me.

My favourite line in the whole fic is one from Jared.

""What're you doing, Seeley? Feeling her up like she’s your girlfriend?" Jared smirked.

I also loved the humerous descriptions and conversation between Booth and his dad as he taught him to drive. The whole turning the engine on and off was really funny (probably because I remember you telling me you had to do that lol), as was the...

"You make a left turn."

"I do a what?"

"A left turn. You know, you turn the wheel to the left so that the car will go that way?"

All in all a fantastic piece and if you don't place in the challenge I'll be very surprised :)
gator-md chapter 1 . 7/31/2007
A,

This is a great take on the challenge...And considering the personal experience you've had recently with the subject, you have done a great job describing the event. I also like how you have drawn Booth's dad...I can't wait until we find out more about his family, particularly the Jared dynamic. I think this does a great job of expanding on what is already established on the show with regards to Jared and spoilers for next season, as well as offering insight into why Booth has to drive. Control is a huge part of Booth's personality and this does a great job of explaining why. Great entry. Nicely done.