Reviews for My Gilded Life
Covante chapter 13 . 5/12/2013
"but toward the end of her books Rowling hadn't had ANY heroes left to her series! She'd tarnished them all to the point that by the end there wasn't one you could honestly respect. And, well, that destroyed all of the enjoyment many of her fans had in her universe."

Neville and Luna never had their characters impinged. Luna is never heroic but, depending on how you view her particular brand of crazy and her timidnes towards bullies, she could be considered admirable. She never does anything dishonorable at any rate. After Hermione slips a bit and targets a murderer with his wand on her with a Silencio in OotP she takes a nose dive in H-BP and hits bottom in DH with this disgustingly pathetic display, "You'd prefer a bunch of sentient beings didn't die? Oh you're so thoughtful and compassionate Ronald! SWOON!" That was the 2nd most disappointing moment for a strong female in literature ever. Only eclipsed by Elizabeth Bennet deciding that if she got to be the Mistress of Pemberley then maybe Darcy wasn't so bad after all.

Neville though, well that guy comes through for us to fan away the dreadful miasma of antiheroes and fallen stars. First year he tries to stop the trio from losing Gryffindor even more points, he fails of course (nothing got in the way of a determined Hermione back then), but he tries. He's not a particularly talented or forceful character and he knows it, however he's always ready to stand up in defense of others even if he has trouble doing it for himself. And in DH he's really come into his own. He's at Hogwarts running the DA underground, jumping in front of Crucios for ickle firsties, keeping the heat on himself to a degree that he looks like he's just been dragging Grawp across the continent, coordinating supply chains and making sure that the students who need to hide won't be found. He's the first one out to face Voldemort after Harry comes back dead and he does it with his chin up and back straight. He finishes the task that was assigned to him and lops Nagini's head off. Neville may not be the most talented wizard but he's far and away the best person and the only unimpeachably respectable character in the entire series.
Covante chapter 5 . 5/11/2013
I keep my laptop next to my bed, and used to keep a notebook there, so I don't have to get up to write things down if they strike me while in bed. I always have the best ideas right after waking up but only partially and ending up in that lucid dream sort of state. It's nearly impossible to remember anything the moment I get up though.
Covante chapter 4 . 5/11/2013
Dumbledore wasn't the first person to show Harry kindness, Hagrid was. He took him away from the Dursleys, told him about being a wizard and introduced him to the whole new world, gave him the key to his vault, bought him ice cream, and gave him his first birthday present which became his most steadfast and reliable companion. He also disparaged Slytherins and one of the first things Harry hears him say is how he won't tolerate a bad word against Albus Dumbledore when Vernon says he won't "Pay for some crackpot old fool to teach him magic tricks."

There had to be a reason Hagrid the Groundskeeper was sent instead of someone more professional and better able to blend like McGonagall. The facts that he's the most ardent Dumbledore supporter you'll find and presents a rather intimidating image when he chooses to aren't insignifant; the facts that he gets to dovetail his fetch and carry mission with the stone and that it's a nice full circle since Hagrid was the one to carry him to the Dursley's are. (Personally the moment he admits to having delivered me to the Dursleys I'm instantly suspicious, ala Brutal Harry.) He also shows up right at midnight for some reason and is able to track them to that island somehow. Why wouldn't he wait until morning? If Hagrid is well-mannered enough to know it's polite to offer tea to guests bisiting his hut then he's well-mannered enough to know making a midnight visit is rude. Yet he doesn't let that stop him from knocking the door in.
TheNStorm chapter 4 . 5/4/2013
So. I've got to ask: murder but not breaking tenants set out in PoGP?

Other than that little conundrum, I like your dialogue fairly well, but sometimes the long speeches get a bit unnatural-sounding.

Keep up the good work!
DaemonWelsh chapter 14 . 4/4/2013
That.. was awesome. Most excellent, I do applaud this story.
Most most excellent.
AquaticRoses chapter 14 . 2/9/2013
...I don't know whether to be offended at the Russian part (since I'm half Russian) or praise your writing genius. Oh yeah, majority wins, you are a great author, and writer, and I didn't even realize Rowling's loopholes until you pointed them out, so thanks for that, too.

Also, and I'm sure many would agree, I'd like to read a sequel, if you have the time and motivation to write one, of course. Is the self-insert going to ever go back to his world? And what happened to the real Gilderoy Lockhart, anyway? I'm also interested in the muggle world's reaction to manga. Only if you want to, I don't want to annoy you with requests or anything, it IS your story after all.
taxzombie chapter 8 . 1/21/2013
Concerning your rant, IMNSHO, your rant concerning Snape was spot on. For that matter the rest of your rants in this chapter pretty much mirror my on opinions concerning Rowlings works, especially the last two, to use the term loosely, books. More like hard bound TP.

Your dart board analogy could be used for more then just pairings as any resemblance to a real plot for Half Blood Ponce and Dead Horrible seems to fit that more then anything else.

I truly enjoy fanfiction, much more so then the original material. I do thank her for creating this world where so many have wandered. Granted, the majority of the wanderers seemed to have managed to find the tar pits; or worse. But there are enough well written and interesting fics to make the search worth the mire one falls into now and again.

A lot of folks seem to think that SI's are beneath them. I ask, why? If a story is interesting, or fun read, who cares if the author is wondering around on the pages as one of the characters. Hell, the authors are there anyway, whether they insert themselves as a character or not. Simply in the telling of the tale, the author is inserting their thoughts, thier ideas, thier beliefs.

In a way an SI could even be considered a more honest storytelling, after all you know up front what the author is thinks about some things.

I've enjoyed your other tales and am enjoying rereading this. I do hope to see new material from you. It is always a pleasure when I do.
Dairegh chapter 14 . 1/20/2013
Awesome story! _
Kythorian chapter 14 . 1/12/2013
Well, there are a lot of problems that generally pop up in self-inserts, most of which you thankfully avoided...one you didn't avoid was that they tend to be rather preachy. The author uses them to give long winded rants about what they didn't like about the story rather than actually spend their time telling their own story. You both did this, and then went and made it worse by doing the same, except with your religious views. Which was especially awkward because you would have your character go from going on a psychotic murdering rampage to talking about how religious he is and how he would rather die than violate his morals in the same chapter. It was just weird.

And you cant really say he was just killing people who deserved to die. Maybe that is true, but the way he went about it, it was total luck that the only people killed were death eaters. Malfoy could have just as easily been having some publicity charity stunt with all the children from st. mungo's in attendance when Harry came barging in on a basilisk as a death eater reunion. As you said in this story, it is intentions that count, and your char's intentions pretty much seemed to come down to 'lets go kill lots of people, most of whom are probably guilty'. Ok, so he was suffering from the built up craziness from several different things at that point, but even long before that, he murdered Dudley. It was one thing to kill the adult Dursley's (sort of), but Dudley was pretty much just a schoolyard bully. Not to mention an ELEVEN YEAR OLD child.

Then you have your char turn around and spend chapters talking about how evil Dumbledore is for putting Harry through a lot of admittedly pretty awful things leading up to his death. And yet your char is willing to do basically equal evil for what HE sees as the 'greater good'. Whats the difference? Other than that your char's 'greater good' happens to include the good of the protagonist of the story he is in while Dumbledore's doesn't? Morally speaking, that shouldn't matter.

The whole thing just has far too much ranting on your views of the books and thinly veiled criticism of how JKR should have written them, and worse, you are not even consistent because you have your char turn around and do a lot of things just as bad as what you criticize from other cannon characters. And THEN have him talk about how important religion and sticking to his morals are and ranting about THAT. Not to mention that you seemed to consider sleeping with someone before marriage a far greater sin than murdering large numbers of people. It was just kind of strange.

But in spite of that, it was still one of the best self-inserts I have ever read. As a sub-genre in fanfiction, they tend to be fairly awful as a group. But if you can ignore the issues i listed above, the actual plot of this story was quite good.
Kythorian chapter 13 . 1/12/2013
this took a sudden and odd twist in this chapter...oh well
Lemrinth chapter 14 . 1/11/2013
Wow! I love this story! Especially how realistically you explained how he did it and why.
Mortimer Grimm chapter 7 . 1/8/2013
This Character Filibuster was preachy and unappealing. The standard of writing is also lower than the rest of the story - one would think you just used the whole chapter just to preach - even the few opposing opinions are practically strawmen, like Hermione's. Far lower writing quality than the rest of the story.

Disapointing.
griffindells chapter 14 . 12/31/2012
so will there be a sequel? pleeeeaaasey please say yes
newbie456 chapter 14 . 12/30/2012
you write good story, a little confusing perhaps but good nonetheless.
Ragdain chapter 7 . 11/30/2012
You have a good story, unfortunately I don't read anything that openly discusses religion, politics, or culture not pertinent to the fan-fiction on principle alone. Having said that yours is actually one of the better self inserts I have read and i commend you on a job well done but I have to break it off here.
733 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »