Reviews for My Gilded Life
RebeliousOne chapter 1 . 2/16
Brilliant! Taking out the Dursley's was epic. The deatheaters as well of course. I can't wait to see the fall out for this one.
WolfbrotherTitan chapter 7 . 2/6
About the only thing is disagree with was the assessment of James and the Marauders, you might well have been right about their motivations, but even Sirius said they'd all be right jerks and that James had been arrogant to add on to being a jerk and that came from someone who thought sending an enemy into an enclosed space with a werewolf was a good joke, a situation that would've made Remus either a murderer or someone responsible for creating another werewolf. That event was the turning point for James, but I don't think even then he went after Snape so much to save a life as to prevent his friends from becoming murderers. There are also some extenuating circumstances as to just why Snape was as bad as he was and one of those was the Marauders, since even in the best light that you presented they were taking on the right to punish when they decided someone wasn't punished enough for something. It might be true to say that Hogwarts failed its students in terms of appropriate punishments for their infractions, but punishment is not supposed to be dealt out by students under any circumstances, so each time they took that level their pranks became bullying.
WolfbrotherTitan chapter 5 . 2/6
In point of fact good stories often prevent me from sleep, though as I myself am only occasionally driven to write it's usually reading good stories that keeps me up.
WolfbrotherTitan chapter 4 . 2/6
I really like the metamorph aspect and you did a good job of showing that Dora still has skills to learn along with the explanation for her clumsiness. Now though I'm wondering about one of the things that I always look for in a story, namely if there are any chances for romance in this story. Depending on just how many years you covered here then I assume Harry will at least date at some point, but the question becomes who your SI might end up dating or potentially marrying. The obvious choice for the SI would be Dora, but we'll see how that relationship builds from here, on the plus side I doubt he's as much older than her than Remus is. I always pictured Gilderoy as somewhere in his mid twenties since being much older than that would decrease his attractiveness to the younger witches, similarly he couldn't be too young since he has to be considered old enough that he could've done what his books say he did which would make him at youngest mid twenties. Still, I'll just have to read and see where things will go from here, a prospect that greatly appeals to me.
WolfbrotherTitan chapter 3 . 2/6
It's a bit of a shame to show up as Gilderoy and not be able to amend for some of his sins, but then those were HIS sins and trying to atone for another's sins isn't really something asked of us. It's an interesting idea that the SI here can learn from those memories that Gilderoy stole though, it's even perhaps something the original owners of those skills and memories would approve of, but it does impose the cost that the SI will now have to live up to the role of a hero and I look forward to seeing that continue.

On other matters we have the SI being acknowledged as related to Harry and that brings up the interesting question of how that's explained. Naturally the readers know the truth, but what the official story is could be interesting on its own.
CharmedArtist chapter 14 . 1/29
Nice What a great story! I've greatly enjoyed this, I have to say. You have a great writing style, very compelling and intriguing, and I'm surprised over and over again by your ideas and inventions. THIS is why I love Harry Potter fanfiction! Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
CharmedArtist chapter 12 . 1/29
Hm. Nothing on contraception? That seems like a rather big oversight. Here, you're basically telling the kids not to have sex until they're both married and in a position where they can best raise children. (I don't quite agree with your view on abortion, either, but let's not get into that.) I find it rather interesting how you very quickly transitioned from talking about "The Talk" to discussing first Satan and God, then how to make a marriage work, then sports. And so far you've always emphasized being prepared for attacks (saying that Dark wizards do everything they can to prepare and strengthen themselves, while Light wizards believe they'll be safe and have to scramble when trouble comes calling), but here you don't mention any magical version of the pill that could, say, protect the girls should they have the misfortune to get raped?
Soooo... yes. I still very much enjoy your story, writing style, and plot, but I had a few bones to pick with this particular chapter!
CharmedArtist chapter 11 . 1/29
Somehow I really liked the small nod to "The Road Not Taken". I have to confess, though, that I don't know what the Dragon Slave spell is, or where it's from. *goes to look it up*
CharmedArtist chapter 10 . 1/29
Oh my - how bloodthirsty :D I'm liking Blinky!
CharmedArtist chapter 9 . 1/29
Brilliant. Oh, so good. I loved the scene with McGonagall in the previous chapter (but couldn't say so there because I'd already left a review concerning parseltongue), and all of this was great. Particularly the short scene with Gomez Addams :D Loved it!
CharmedArtist chapter 8 . 1/29
Oh! One thing, though - it's "parSelmouth", not "parCelmouth"! I keep imagining someone with a parcel (a package) in their mouth :D
CharmedArtist chapter 7 . 1/29
This is SUCH a good story. I can't say I appreciate much the more religiously flavored parts (being a non-believer myself), but you do them tastefully. So I don't mind them much at all, really. And the story really is so well-done! A very entertaining read.
tarrangar chapter 11 . 1/25
Hate you selfimportant religious types who act like just because religion helped you it helps everyone if we would just believe really hate that smug superiority you guys try to pretend you have because you believe like a damn fanatic.
I dont dislike religion one way or another but I dislike the idea that its so so important if god exist and is truly a good god instead of that good is god nonsence thats really just saying that god is so powerful we cant rebel if he turns out to be an asshole but anyway if god is good then the fact that he dont give clear signs of his existence and havent made sure his religion has alway been world spanning so people would at least have a chance to choose it means he judge us not by whether we believe in him but on our deeds.
So shut up with your smug superiority religion is the only way to be good nonsense.
tarrangar chapter 5 . 1/25
Dont you see this just make transfigurations even greater figure out an half an our transfiguration and you can live of candy yet be eating perfectly healthily
FreelanceBum chapter 1 . 1/7
I swear everytime someone smites down the Dursleys I just feel bad for Dudley.
703 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »