Reviews for My Gilded Life
CharmedArtist chapter 14 . 1/29
Nice What a great story! I've greatly enjoyed this, I have to say. You have a great writing style, very compelling and intriguing, and I'm surprised over and over again by your ideas and inventions. THIS is why I love Harry Potter fanfiction! Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
CharmedArtist chapter 12 . 1/29
Hm. Nothing on contraception? That seems like a rather big oversight. Here, you're basically telling the kids not to have sex until they're both married and in a position where they can best raise children. (I don't quite agree with your view on abortion, either, but let's not get into that.) I find it rather interesting how you very quickly transitioned from talking about "The Talk" to discussing first Satan and God, then how to make a marriage work, then sports. And so far you've always emphasized being prepared for attacks (saying that Dark wizards do everything they can to prepare and strengthen themselves, while Light wizards believe they'll be safe and have to scramble when trouble comes calling), but here you don't mention any magical version of the pill that could, say, protect the girls should they have the misfortune to get raped?
Soooo... yes. I still very much enjoy your story, writing style, and plot, but I had a few bones to pick with this particular chapter!
CharmedArtist chapter 11 . 1/29
Somehow I really liked the small nod to "The Road Not Taken". I have to confess, though, that I don't know what the Dragon Slave spell is, or where it's from. *goes to look it up*
CharmedArtist chapter 10 . 1/29
Oh my - how bloodthirsty :D I'm liking Blinky!
CharmedArtist chapter 9 . 1/29
Brilliant. Oh, so good. I loved the scene with McGonagall in the previous chapter (but couldn't say so there because I'd already left a review concerning parseltongue), and all of this was great. Particularly the short scene with Gomez Addams :D Loved it!
CharmedArtist chapter 8 . 1/29
Oh! One thing, though - it's "parSelmouth", not "parCelmouth"! I keep imagining someone with a parcel (a package) in their mouth :D
CharmedArtist chapter 7 . 1/29
This is SUCH a good story. I can't say I appreciate much the more religiously flavored parts (being a non-believer myself), but you do them tastefully. So I don't mind them much at all, really. And the story really is so well-done! A very entertaining read.
tarrangar chapter 11 . 1/25
Hate you selfimportant religious types who act like just because religion helped you it helps everyone if we would just believe really hate that smug superiority you guys try to pretend you have because you believe like a damn fanatic.
I dont dislike religion one way or another but I dislike the idea that its so so important if god exist and is truly a good god instead of that good is god nonsence thats really just saying that god is so powerful we cant rebel if he turns out to be an asshole but anyway if god is good then the fact that he dont give clear signs of his existence and havent made sure his religion has alway been world spanning so people would at least have a chance to choose it means he judge us not by whether we believe in him but on our deeds.
So shut up with your smug superiority religion is the only way to be good nonsense.
tarrangar chapter 5 . 1/25
Dont you see this just make transfigurations even greater figure out an half an our transfiguration and you can live of candy yet be eating perfectly healthily
FreelanceBum chapter 1 . 1/7
I swear everytime someone smites down the Dursleys I just feel bad for Dudley.
Gexorian chapter 6 . 12/4/2014
When I started this story I thought it was an interesting premise, even if it was a self insert. Then he murdered the Dursleys including an eleven year old child yet he refrained from drinking tea and I realised how terrible this going to be. It was like watching a car crash, I couldn't look away. Then this chapter happen and I can honestly say it's the worst piece of fanfic I have ever read. Reprogramming somebody in a morning and nobody having any ethical issues about it? The car crash has become a multi car pileup and cannot look up any longer.
NatNicole chapter 14 . 11/28/2014
SWEET KAMI, this fic is beyond awesome! The only problem I have is that Ol' Not-Gilderoy better not have married anyone under 24.
Angel Frog chapter 9 . 11/20/2014
I have to admit, the marshmallows were a nice touch. Hope those spiders weren't poisonous!
GingerbreadUmbrella chapter 1 . 11/10/2014
I've got a cold atm, so forgive any misspellings/mess-ups in these two reviews. I just wanted to correct what I said about Dudley, i.e "Children who've had troubled lives and picked up dysfunctional or destructive traits can get help and can recover."

The way I wrote that review seems to put across the message that "you can't kill Dudley because he might not stay an immature spoiled brat". Which is a load of rubbish, because tt basically says "but you CAN kill Dudley if he stays an immature spoiled brat." That's also a complete load of rubbish. If we justified murder based on how much the victim grated on everyone else's nerves, there would be many more funerals.

(There's also the way that my first review seems to be saying that "children only have any value if they get over any behavioral issues. Before they do that, they have no value." If that's the message you too are getting from it, please label it as rubbish and discard it. Thank you. I think I'm now going to stop trying to type things when my brain's only 50% here.) )
GingerbreadUmbrella chapter 13 . 11/10/2014
What. On. Earth. Did I just read.

Unfortunately, although I found the story enjoyable in the earlier chapters, it was well on the way to losing my interest by chapter 6. So I skipped a few chapters and found polygamy, and the Addams family. Amidst other things. The marriage stuff, especially involving the children... it wasn't so bad when only consenting, albeit possibly unhinged, adults were involved; but then you threw in kids? What the hell?

Also, I realise the wizarding world isn't known best for their logical and sensible ways, but I found the other character's reactions to Lockhart were requiring an ever increasing amount of suspension of disbelief. That goes for the things that Lockhart is capable of. A character who can fix ALMOST EVERYTHING and anything and DOES, who's also practically incapable of making mistakes or being wrong, gets boring to read about pretty quickly.

Even just having some people trying to assassinate Lockhart, and him not being completely-and-utterly-awesome at sailing right through ANY challenges presented, asthough they're just a very light breeze on a sunny day, would have been nice. Or for him to screw up. Or for some normal people not to fall head over heels in love with him.

One of the most disturbing things about this story is when Lockhart/you murders the Dursleys. How Petunia died was especially horrible. It doesn't speak of the insert deciding "this is what I'm doing because I've got to do it for the good of everyone, there is no other way, and I don't really want to do it" anything like the way it sounds like the author saying "I'm doing this because I just really want to murder these characters for revenge and I've (tried) to approach the story in such a way as to make NOT KILLING THEM nigh on impossible, but my character's not evil"

Your character murdered two adults and a child - and justified it. Okay, I can very easily imagine someone justifying and/or rationalising a death as part of trying to deal with it, because it's either doing that or taking the "I'm a terrible person, how on earth could I do this, I don't have the right to take someone else's live, I'm despicable" route. It's someone trying to come to terms with what they've done instead of destroying themselves.

But Lockhart's justification isn't like that. He's very comfortable with what he's done, after all, it's for the greater good. There's no thought for the fact that the Dursleys' are actual people, however cruel and unlikeable they may be. It would seem cold and heartless, if it wasn't for his/your desire to make them suffer. E.g, "I had two options... The one I was favoring was... erase the Dursleys' minds of who and what they were and dump them all into brand new lives... But there were down sides to that. One was that it didn't really do much to punish them or satisfy my desire for justice." I find the first bit of that last sentence more believeable than the last.

Your character seemed to go through the most minimal amount of that guilt/trauma process. So minimal it lasted for one short paragraph and barely made any change in my impression of him. So it basically comes across as "Lockhart couldn't care less about murdering people, even when one of them is a kid and not responsible for his actions in the same way that an adult would be". But he's doing this for Harry's sake, so he's not evil! Right. And there's no way he could have waited a little bit to get a less brutal plan to work. No way. Because it's super time sensitive. Couldn't have used Super-Lockhart-Charm(TM) to make them treat Harry decently so he can stay with them while Lockhart worked on whatever skills he needed to get them out of the way a little more nicely.

Surely it would have been possible to find someone who actually knew the spells Lockhat/you wanted to use in the "elegant" plan/s, then charm or manipulate them into doing the work needed under supervision, and then obliviate them? If someone REALLY wanted to avoid committing murder, wouldn't they be more proactive in doing so? And to view a pre-teen child who, and this bit's important, had grown up in an abusive home and learned destructive, abusive traits from his parents (because what else was there to learn) as a heartless creature (you reffered to the Dursleys' as such, so I assume Dudley was included in that description) _deserving to be murdered_ is outrageous. Children who've had troubled lives and picked up dysfunctional or destructive traits can get help and can recover.

All of that (and only in the first chapter) serves to make your version of Lockhart very unlikeable. He's uncaring and ruthless, but those two traits are never admitted. He's committed murder, among other things, by his own standards as mentioned in one of the middle chapters, but as far as I'm aware in none of the chapter is anything your insert has done handled as being morally wrong. It leaves me with the impression that it wouldn't matter much to him if you decided to make him drop part of the castle onto the Great Hall, killing 30 students. It would probably just for the greater good, and brushed off very easily (would it even need brushing off if it didn't bother him?)

To be honest, the more I think about this story the more I really don't like it. Concept, yes. Result, no.
698 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »