Reviews for My Gilded Life
stevem1 chapter 14 . 3/4/2020
This is well written from a grammar and spelling standpoint.

The story is somewhat disturbing. The main character is an author who falls into the body of Gilderoy Lockhart. He acquires his skills and then uses his ability with memory charms goes to acquire others. He alters the memories of dozens, and therefore their personalities, to lesson the trauma of abuse, etc. He acquires dozen of wives. He murders dozens (most of whom probably deserved it).

The main character is clearly going insane as the story progresses. It ends with him defeating Dumbledore.

I’m not sure I can recommend it. It is disturbing so your mileage will vary.
Dezcon chapter 14 . 2/25/2020
I really liked the story at the start but I've kind of come to dislike it by the end of chapter 14 because of the frequent religious talks about scripture and so on, sorry i guess ?

Most common cliches i have seen in other fanfictions have been avoided, like the Goblins who if you treated them with respect they would naturally become your allies or whatever.
In my mind that just seems kind of silly i suppose, i mean every individual is different, so well done author on avoiding such cliches :).

Well maybe you didn't avoid one of them i guess... And this is something i've seen being done in a lot of fanfiction, i believe i once read a fanfiction that involved over 4 or 5 different crossovers and it eventually ended up being so confusing in the end that i just dropped it because it didn't feel like i was reading for example a Harry Potter fanfiction anymore but rather something else. It hasn't gotten that bad in this story, yet.
In this fanfiction it's the Adams family, they appear towards the end of the story around maybe chapter 11 or 12, i don't remember exactly and also Slayers i believe it was called ? Although to be fair the Slayers part is just one spell from that anime.

Personally i don't like it when authors introduce new crossovers into the story after a couple of chapters. It gives me the impression that you ran out of ideas and such incorporated these new elements in order to get the story moving again somewhere. At the same time i could be completely wrong and you had always intended to make a crossover with the Adams family and Slayer however i would liked to have known that before i started reading your fanficton. Now, say if you had written that the main character dealt with all the wizarding problems, Dumbledore, Voldemort etc and then towards the very end of the story found a way to travel to a different world or something and he ended up going to the Slayers Universe now that would have been a perfect way to end the story and set it up for a sequel. Even if you were never going to write the sequel it would still be there if you someday decided that you wanted to write it.

I liked the ending, sure you could write another chapter showing everyone's reaction but i think i enjoyed it more where you left it at. It allows me as the reader to imagine what happens after chapter 14.

And lastly, i personally was not a fan of him being religious. But i am biased when it comes to that because of my own experience with religion and that's as far as i am comfortable saying. I think if you made the character someone who was a monk before and basically was just a lot more spiritual with meditation and all that jazz i might have liked it more but then again i am biased when it comes to this topic.

To the readers:
Other than my complaints above the story is well written. Easy to read and i would highly recommend it if you can look past all my previous complaints.

TLDR; Story is well written(compared to the usual fanfiction on this site), sadly has two slight crossovers from two other stories(movies & Anime?) towards chapters 10-14 which i personally did not appreciate suddenly appearing in the middle of the story almost out of nowhere(or at least that's how i felt the crossovers were being introduced into your fanfiction). Avoids usual cliches which almost every other Harry potter fanfiction has. Main character is religious and talks about scriptures and god often. If you can look past that then i highly recommend reading this Fanfiction!
intata chapter 11 . 2/24/2020
"I'd rather die than break any of my covenants."

Your character just murdered like... 50 people. I'm seeing a LOT of hypocrisy here.

Love the story btw, but the focus on his/your religion is... odd, considering what he/you find important. Keeping yourself "Pure" by not drinking tea? What about magic potions? Injecting yourself with someone else's blood? MAGIC in general.

etc etc. you get the point.

Love the story.
Deroddfox chapter 13 . 12/3/2019
As this is the first time I've bothered to post any sort of review on this site, at all, I just want to start by saying that I've quite enjoyed this for the most part. It's been rather amusing here and there, though with that said I feel I would be remiss not to state my issues with it.

You waffle. A lot. A goodly amount of this fic has been side rants and exposing your religious values. I personally have no issue with the latter, however when the flow breaks repeatedly for another multi-paragraph spiel on Christian values, to the point where you go so far as to write a scene involving sex ed to young children wrapped in it, you do yourself more harm than good.

Please do not take that personally, as it isn't meant to be an attack on you or your values. When we write, our greatest task is to make our words and stories come alive for our readers, to help immerse them in the worlds we create with our pens. While one can have a deeply religious character, and no one will bat an eye, a character that takes every opportunity to throw their religious beliefs in your face and extol them as if from a seat of moral and spiritual superiority it becomes both jarring and off putting to many.
pepejohn chapter 14 . 10/28/2019
This was TRULY a pain to read with all of the religion fetishising. I can understand having your own faith, but having it pervade every aspect of your story WITHOUT having some note in the summary makes everything more suspect.

Cool premise, terrible execution
DiabolicGod chapter 6 . 10/25/2019
As a non-believer, at least not in something as ridiculous and stupid as christianity (Islam an judaism, all the same) from my pov, I am geniunely curious.
Do you truly believe in (this poorly made-up drivel) it, or do you just take a look, see what useful lessons, traditions etc are in there and discard the rest?
Guest chapter 7 . 9/20/2019
The story was going all well and good until you started promoting religious propaganda and began insulting well placed, logical questions.
Landerth chapter 8 . 9/7/2019
Not gonna lie, that Chinese tradition (if true) is fucked up...
Caincrux chapter 4 . 9/6/2019
Parcelmouth? Does he eat groceries that much?
Caincrux chapter 3 . 9/6/2019
So much ranting.
Ammarsl chapter 14 . 7/6/2019
Amazing idea for a novel but poorly written you just repeat the same stuff over and over and over again I mean you have really long chapter but if you removed the useless stuff it would amount to very little and that's without you trying to cram god and religion down our throats at every turn I kinda of enjoyed the beginning but it became more of chore to read then an enjoyment.
Lalaland chapter 7 . 6/15/2019
The ultimate thief. I already find your writing horrendous, but I find it amusing and curious enough to continue, albeit with many skips. I no longer find this amusing. What are you writing; goodness how awful.
Guest chapter 14 . 5/25/2019
phoenix, not pheonix
Guest chapter 14 . 5/25/2019
Nuremburg - Nurmengard
Guest chapter 13 . 5/25/2019
Wow, now you're really stretching things, taking a simple book with dating advice and turning Future-Ron into a rapist.

You obviously have swallowed up so much of your own fanon that you've forgotten canon completely.

Saying that Ron never had a kind word to Hermione is quite a stretch, he matured quite bit at the end, he was just laboring under the curse of being more of a flawed every-man kinda character with heart rather than someone exceptional.
903 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »