Reviews for In a Glass, Darkly
HecateMist chapter 1 . 9/17
How dare he. How DARE HE?!

This is a brilliant story. I am very excited and very interested to figure out Sarah's life from the snippets provided. Your writing style is very professional and I commend you. I find it interesting that you have chosen to portray Jareth as vindictive - it's very well done and an unusual characterization choice - most fan authors portray him as a little evil and a lot sexy.
Keep up the good work!
Tata-Fox chapter 9 . 8/22
Umm... i think you have great writing skills... but this story is very confusing.
Lady Knight of VT chapter 9 . 5/23
Usually after reading, I leave a glowing review (occassionally with nice words of advice), then merrily pop off to the next fic. That was not the case with this. I read it yesterday and haven't touched FF until now. I've been processing the story, and trying to figure out what my reactions might mean psychologically (I've got BIG questions for Me to answer and I'm not sure I'm going to like the answers). I've read "horror" here before but this is the first one that actually deserved to use the genre. I got so many chills throughout the reading I thought they were going to be permanent. You have a way with the words and plot and characters that makes me want to read the rest of your work, but frankly I'm a little leery of risking it. It probably didn't help that I just came from Lixxle's fics, who writes pee-your-pants funny instead of pee-scary. I love the back and forth with the dreams/past. It got a little dizzying at times but it fit magnificently with this story and it's nothing a second or third read-through won't fix-if I'm brave enough to do it. As far as the identity goes, I'm sure you had some stinky reviews. I see it no different from the HP fics where they wrote an AU with Malfoy actually being a dragon. This makes even more sense actually, especially with all your bits from her classes. I felt like I was learning, but fun learning not being made to. I've been in church most of my life and am now a SundaySchool teacher, so I'm not sure what they'd say if they knew I kinda had the hots for your Lucifer. I KNOW he's evil, I KNOW it's a Bad Idea, but I would've done exactly what Sarah did to save the kids. Heck, I probably would have done it knowing who he was. I have a fix-it complex. From there it's easy to see how she was trapped for eternity. While the happy-ever-after part of me wishes she could have done right by Aaron or fought Jareth at the end, that would have ruined this story. It would not have left me in such a contemplative mood. And goodness at the things we can learn from this! Have you thought about tweaking it into an original? If you can replace J&S it's still an amazing story and that would leave open the past to be whatever you make it. Including Ben's Dream, of course. I'd buy it for sure, even knowing the spoilers. It would be awesome to loan to pals and watch their reactions.
I have no glowing words of review to leave; this did not leave me with a happy-glowy feeling. It left me thinking and more than a bit creeped out. However, I do know I'll be back to read it in the future, and it's now on my favorites list.
Lylabeth 1 chapter 9 . 2/22
Absolutely well-written but hate the genre. And the story!
SheyrinaLabyrinthianDragon chapter 9 . 11/22/2016
Stunned...beyond words. I usually have a few things to say in the reviews, but words escape me. I knew this was going to be dark, but... Well done, nightmarish even, but well done.

Shattered Dreams
AbriannaPhang chapter 9 . 3/10/2016
It was good until it turned into the most confusing thing I've ever read.
Ladybrae chapter 9 . 11/6/2015
Ok, fine. It makes more sense for Jareth to be evil than a "good-guy-stuck-in-a-bad-job" (god I hate those stories). BUT HE IS LITERALLY SATAN?! Why didn't somebody tell me this was the old "Sarah f**** the Devil" trope? Oh yeah, because that's NOT A THING. And why did I read this before I went to bed last night? I should have known what I was getting into because the tag is Horror. But in my defence I'm not accustomed to fanfic Horrors actually being horrifying...they're usually just icky. So kudos to you, seriously. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, it was an excellent story. I guess I just prefer a naughty/trickster/arrogant Goblin King, as opposed to Jareth being F***ING LUCIFER, because it feels truer to both the movie and the Celtic myths his character was based on.
bianca noir chapter 1 . 10/26/2015
Great Dark start, I know the comic (love it) but am enjoying this as it's own story.
Must admit smut draws me.
babyvfan chapter 9 . 10/6/2015
...wow is all I can say
Guest chapter 9 . 10/5/2015
Just as one of the reviewers below said, I think I was more intrigued by Erlk├Ânig with the kind of imagery you used there, possibly because I myself am Catholic and this seemed to me as something that utilized certain tropes that felt more Biblical in general than Catholic, with all its sacraments and dogma and ritualism, even though it played a role in some of the characters' motivations and as a backdrop to certain scenes. Also, where I come from priests don't recite much Latin in their services anymore, especially not the Jesuits. But this was nevertheless a wonderful fic in itself, and Sarah suits the role of Eve very well. I don't know if it's a coincidence but I read somewhere that Neil Gaiman wanted his Lucifer Morningstar in the Preludes and Nocturnes volume of Sandman to be based on David Bowie, so I thought this was pretty nifty. Excellent job.
IWasAFairyPrincessOnceToo chapter 1 . 8/24/2015
You have a knack for making the J/S pairing incredibly unsettling. I enjoy your Satan parallel with the character who tries to tempt a young girl and essentially bargains for her brother's soul. It's something other fanfiction will make a reference but it tends to poorly executed (though I would like to see a sympathy for the devil story based on Jareth, similar to Paradise Lost or the comic Lucifer). I find myself less sympathetic towards Sarah and much less intrigued by Jareth as opposed to Erlkonig but I was raised Christian so go figure. I did like how disorienting you made the story telling in the last chapter to display Sarah's inability to perceive time in hell. Great storytelling.
NS chapter 9 . 1/10/2015
Ah, I remember the first time I read this. Your writing stands the test of time. Thank you, again, for writing.
Guest chapter 9 . 12/10/2014
While the rest of the story is good, this simply breaks with it. How can Aaron give away the ownership of Sarah? Sarah was given brief custody of Toby to wish him away. The other children are wished by their parents away. But if Jareth could trick or persuade someone into wishing away anyone at all, why not trick them into wishing away EVERYONE?

Then again, that's the backstory to Soul Blazer. A gold coin for every soul rendered unto Deathtoll. But even then, a significant invention was required.
Cecelia.Lunette chapter 9 . 12/7/2014
This story gives me the absolute willies.
great job.
Terrifying to the extreme!
Ellen Weaver chapter 1 . 9/30/2014
Really sophisticated metacommentary on the film being done through dream analysis, here. It's precise and perfect, and an unusual treat. This chapter could have contained just that sequence alone and been terrific, but you raised the game to a whole new level by giving a call to adventure with a violation of the interdiction (we must not speak with goblin men, we must not eat their fruit!) as well. Nicely done! I'm going to savor this, I can tell.