Reviews for In a Glass, Darkly
Ladybrae chapter 9 . 11/6
Ok, fine. It makes more sense for Jareth to be evil than a "good-guy-stuck-in-a-bad-job" (god I hate those stories). BUT HE IS LITERALLY SATAN?! Why didn't somebody tell me this was the old "Sarah f**** the Devil" trope? Oh yeah, because that's NOT A THING. And why did I read this before I went to bed last night? I should have known what I was getting into because the tag is Horror. But in my defence I'm not accustomed to fanfic Horrors actually being horrifying...they're usually just icky. So kudos to you, seriously. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, it was an excellent story. I guess I just prefer a naughty/trickster/arrogant Goblin King, as opposed to Jareth being F***ING LUCIFER, because it feels truer to both the movie and the Celtic myths his character was based on.
bianca noir chapter 1 . 10/26
Great Dark start, I know the comic (love it) but am enjoying this as it's own story.
Must admit smut draws me.
babyvfan chapter 9 . 10/6 is all I can say
Just as one of the reviewers below said, I think I was more intrigued by Erlk├Ânig with the kind of imagery you used there, possibly because I myself am Catholic and this seemed to me as something that utilized certain tropes that felt more Biblical in general than Catholic, with all its sacraments and dogma and ritualism, even though it played a role in some of the characters' motivations and as a backdrop to certain scenes. Also, where I come from priests don't recite much Latin in their services anymore, especially not the Jesuits. But this was nevertheless a wonderful fic in itself, and Sarah suits the role of Eve very well. I don't know if it's a coincidence but I read somewhere that Neil Gaiman wanted his Lucifer Morningstar in the Preludes and Nocturnes volume of Sandman to be based on David Bowie, so I thought this was pretty nifty. Excellent job.
IWasAFairyPrincessOnceToo chapter 1 . 8/24
You have a knack for making the J/S pairing incredibly unsettling. I enjoy your Satan parallel with the character who tries to tempt a young girl and essentially bargains for her brother's soul. It's something other fanfiction will make a reference but it tends to poorly executed (though I would like to see a sympathy for the devil story based on Jareth, similar to Paradise Lost or the comic Lucifer). I find myself less sympathetic towards Sarah and much less intrigued by Jareth as opposed to Erlkonig but I was raised Christian so go figure. I did like how disorienting you made the story telling in the last chapter to display Sarah's inability to perceive time in hell. Great storytelling.
NS chapter 9 . 1/10
Ah, I remember the first time I read this. Your writing stands the test of time. Thank you, again, for writing.
Guest chapter 9 . 12/10/2014
While the rest of the story is good, this simply breaks with it. How can Aaron give away the ownership of Sarah? Sarah was given brief custody of Toby to wish him away. The other children are wished by their parents away. But if Jareth could trick or persuade someone into wishing away anyone at all, why not trick them into wishing away EVERYONE?

Then again, that's the backstory to Soul Blazer. A gold coin for every soul rendered unto Deathtoll. But even then, a significant invention was required.
Cecelia.Lunette chapter 9 . 12/7/2014
This story gives me the absolute willies.
great job.
Terrifying to the extreme!
Ellen Weaver chapter 1 . 9/30/2014
Really sophisticated metacommentary on the film being done through dream analysis, here. It's precise and perfect, and an unusual treat. This chapter could have contained just that sequence alone and been terrific, but you raised the game to a whole new level by giving a call to adventure with a violation of the interdiction (we must not speak with goblin men, we must not eat their fruit!) as well. Nicely done! I'm going to savor this, I can tell.
GoldenGryphon chapter 9 . 9/12/2014
Oh. My. Word.

This was frightening and beautiful and hit all of those strange and horrible fantasies and nightmares we prefer not to think about during wakeful times.
I hadn't before thought of Jareth of being a Lucifer archetype, but it does fit - all of the temptations and bargaining. All of the secrets and dreams - nothing is at it seems.

Thank you for writing this very though-provoking story. I will now go and sit in a corner and try to still my mind with something less provoking - like, I don't know, the movie "Legion", or "Constantine".
You have troubled my mind and given me hard things to consider. Thank you.

Best thoughts.
Mai chapter 9 . 7/14/2014
You know sometimes you read or hear or watch something and it sticks in your head forever. Like lines from a poem or book and no matter how much time passes you keep looking back on them or randomly feel the need to go and look them over just one more time. Well, I have to add this fic to my list of thosr things. I'm no professional critic or anything but I've read a lot of fanfiction in my life that I think I know when I find a good one.

It's actually funny for me because I never actually thought of going this route with Labryinth and honestly didn't even catch on until you basically announced it - I'm not sure if it's because I'm not a religious person or just bcause I had never considered this route but it really impressed me in all the best ways.

I realize that this was posted years ago but I hope you still get the chance to read this. The story telling is astounding and honestly I found my self so engrossed in the story at times that I literally had to put it down and take a breath but I would find myself reaching for it again after only a few moments.

An absolute masterpiece
Shadow131 chapter 9 . 7/3/2014
Last night, I had to go to bed before reading the final part. I CANNOT do cliffhangers, so I said, "I'll just skim so I can give myself peace of mind, and read the whole thing tomorrow."
My reaction to Jareth being *spoilery spoilery* was twofold:
A. "Ugh...that's a bit cliched."
B. "I am so God blessed terrified I am never going to sleep tonight."
And I pretty much didn't. Which should make you absolutely gleeful, and I mean that sincerely, that you could awaken such emotions in someone through your writing. It IS cliched - you made it work through the progression of the story (particularly in how he corrupts Sarah. Again, spooky, but that's a good thing), but it still soured a little on my tongue. It's a bit...Christian-y for me. Not that I don't mind a good religious tale (a Ben-Hur or a tale of temptation and redemption), but...I'm just NOT convinced it works with the universe you're using it in. What I mean to say is that - generally speaking - the goal of fanfiction is to expand on characters within the rules of their universe, while also staying true to character. In the universe of the film, I just...really can't believe Jareth's *spoilery spoilery spoiler*. BUT: I actually think this would work as an original story, since so much of its content and so many of its characters are original anyway. I think I'd actually quite like it better, aside from it keeping me from sleeping. So I've sounded like a drag in this review, but I mean it as a compliment. I couldn't quite believe it, but the good news is I think it's a fine choice otherwise. It makes it slightly more AU-y than some other things might be, but who the hell cares? I love AUs as well. It was a chance to explore a certain scenario, and you did it well.
So thanks to you I didn't even have the will to make breakfast and I have to go to work like this. Shame on you.
Shadow131 chapter 7 . 7/2/2014
Not a practitioner myself, I'm not personally offended by the passage you edited, but as a reader and writer, I'd say it's much better done the second time around. I could put on my anthropology hat and agree with toshers-girl, but it really doesn't matter. Offense in such a case (to me) requires some degree of intent. Take it as a learning experience and I think it's just a chance to grow. All that aside, I think it's better to speak of the re-written passage in terms of how it flows, and it flows MUCH better. Way more believable and interesting. And major kudos to you for leaving it up. You're owning it, and that takes some brass, so I think you should be, ultimately, proud of yourself as a person and a writer.

On the story, it's amazing because I never know what to believe. It changes with such lightning rapidity I'm in danger of whip lash - in a good way. Hearing the way Jareth spoke to Sarah in the last chapter was HORRIFYING, but thinking that it was, perchance, him trying to hold power of her would make sense...or maybe I personally want to believe he's more like the "heart's desire" version that may or may not be real. I have NO clue. And that's why this is such a cool read, because neither does Sarah.
Shadow131 chapter 5 . 7/2/2014
The ending was absolutely haunting. I...can guess what Sarah knows about him, but I'm pretty clueless. But him telling the bedtime story to Aaron was, again...haunting. Ugh, if only I could just sit and keep reading!
Shadow131 chapter 3 . 7/2/2014
Ugh, Jareth's real-world form is absolutely revolting; once again, you rock at contrasts, because it makes his "real" form that much more appreciable. I reeeeeeally hope he didn't stay "hobo-fied" if they did do anything...ugh, poor Sarah.