Reviews for Where Darkness Resides
Nixie the Bloody Pixie chapter 39 . 10/22
Now, it may have been quite a while since you last updated this story, but I'd still love to read another chapter at some point. :)
A chapter 14 . 11/18/2013
Oh boy, you are such a fucking fangirl, it gave me second-hand embarrasement. Valen is also a moron:

"nor was she an obviously natural born leader; she doubted herself too much, and was altogether too
trusting for his liking. And whilst undoubtedly comely, she was hardly the dark, knowing beauty that haunted the more..."

Boohoo, leaders aren't born, they are made, you stupid tiefling. Yo should know better.
A chapter 1 . 11/18/2013
WTF, I don't even have words, specially for your terrible handling of reviews. Claiming that a reviewer who thinks that Valen is abusive is just a silly "14 year old girl who thinks love is giggles and cakes" is immature and disrespectful. Your other reviewers that find Valen to be "harsh" but attractive are kind of scary. Abuse is never attractive! Never!

While it is true that the majority of relationships aren't perfect, the majority of them also aren't abusive, either physically or mentally. If you really think that sort of relationship is normal, you should get yourself to a counsellor quick smart.
SepthSilver chapter 39 . 4/20/2013
This series is awesome. Nothing else to say.
Meishuu chapter 1 . 5/4/2011
I just want to apologize for those awful typos, English is not reallt my firts languague. :)
Meishuu chapter 39 . 5/3/2011
Wow, where to start.

I disagree with a lot of the reviewers here. Jen chracterizaton fells forced, too forced in fact. Is obvious that she is just an inversion of the most popular female characters, there is nothing original about her or even interesting (I think that was Anon point abour her being a Sue, an Anti-sue, not about her power). Jen's naivete doesn't really give her more depth and is not a "natural flaw" is pretty obvious why the writer gave her that flaw, in fact, she just comes across as the typical romatic heroine who is going to fall for the "bad boy" (in this case Valen).

I hate Valen, I have always hated him and always will. I hate both in-game Valen and this Valen. Both are over-emotional and, frankly, repulsive ("realistic" or not). He comes across as too perfect, and his flaws are never addresed in the history, and if they are, he never really faces consequences for them.

His relationship with Jen is extremely problematic.

He is harsh, he bullies her and we are supposed to believe that Jen actually likes him? The whole relationship is abusive, yes, Valen is nothing but an abuser, both emotionally and (almost) physically. All the sings are there. The author is obviously a Valen fangirl, who can bring herself to even write about other character who are actually more interesting than him (Hello Nathyrra...)

The history in itself is not really original or compelling. From the evil drow to the love interest to the interactions between characters, they are nothing more that over-used clichés. The history is mediocre at best, with an utterly predictable plot.

Is it not about asking for Jen to be more kickass or whatever, but she never shows any type of strength, not even inner strength. She can't stand up for herself! One wonders how she survived this long. There are much better HOTU fanfics, with protagonist who are actually heroines, and actually nuanced.

I'ill take a "smart-mouthed" heroine (who is truly an heroine) over simple Jen any day. Vin from Mistborn, Kel from Tortall, Ellie from Guardian of the Dead, Katniss from the Hunger Games. Those are well-written heroines, in well-written histories.
cheerygirl6 chapter 39 . 11/1/2010
I know it's been a while since you've last updated this story, but please continue it! It's one of the best HotU stories I've read on here! Plus, I'm extremely curious as to what will happen next!
lilamarwen chapter 39 . 1/2/2010
By far the best HotU fan fic I have read! I honestly can't help but feel for Xen’shai...he's so dark...but engaging at the same time. And Jen and Valen have such a complicated but realistic "relationship"...(as much as I enjoy fan girl's a really nice change.)

Here's to hoping you are still planning on adding to it one I can't help but wonder how it all pans out!
Gaspode chapter 39 . 12/1/2009
I joined this site, just so I could review this story so here goes.

I must say I really like the way you've re invented the HoTU story and made it your own. All the characters are developing so nicely and feel real, including Valen. Your 'version' of him may not be to everybody's taste but lets face it, we all have our own idea of what he should be like. Personally I think this darker and more harsh Valen is perhaps more realistic considering his background.

As for the story being too long or you getting bogged down with lots of detail, I think that is what makes it feel so genuine. I like a story that takes its time to unfold and I like the way you allow all the characters to develop. This includes the Drow that you introduced to help Jen. And yes, as spineless as Jen seems sometimes, she is a realistic character. We are not all smart mouthed, ass kicking heroes and she does show and inner strength and integrity that I suspect will come to the fore later in the story.

Concerning breaking the canon. Meh, it's a fantasy world. We should use our imagination and there's obviously nothing wrong with yours.

Now, I really don't want you to be distracted away from the Valen module since I'd love to play it before my old age sets in. I am however, hoping you'll continue this story when you get a chance.
Shadowhawke chapter 39 . 11/7/2009
Now *that* was one hell of a chapter! You built up the atmosphere with Nathyrra and Szinaufein amazingly, and I love the undercurrents that were between them as well. You do a great job in making characters that may or may not be batting for the right side so inherently likeable. The closer look at Lith Myathar's defences was realistic and interesting, and I loved the description of the battle - it reminded me exactly of Valen's description of drow fighting as two great shadows meeting. Excellent work!

As for the re-writes; I have to say, I love both the original and the new one. Of course, they are of very different tones, but the original sent me off into gales of laughter that was appropriate after the previous darkness, while the newly rewritten version kept up the dark pacing to a good and realistic effect. So I'd be hard pressed to say which one I prefer, but in my mind both definitely work. :)

As always, I look forwards to what you have to share with us next! Thanks again for taking the time out of your hectic life once again to give us such writing of amazing quality. :D
Go.Away.Turd chapter 2 . 10/21/2009
I've only browsed this. But I just have to say, you're a very talented writer. I wonder if you finished this. You wrote this 2 years ago, so you might not be paying attention to this anymore. But I just have to say, this story is extremely well written! )
Shadowhawke chapter 38 . 9/25/2009
*leaps around in sheer joy* Wow! It's great to see you back, and with one hell of a chapter! I almost cried when I realised Valen and his predicament, and his whispered 'Guardian' was very touching. And then Jekhril got to have his own little spotlight. Amazingly paced, gory chapter... really felt it.

Thanks so much again for dedicating your sparse time to this fic. :D Love your writing, and I'm looking forwards to more! :D
Aeryn Phoenix chapter 38 . 9/23/2009
Thrilled to see this story going forward, Ely! :D It's been killing me waiting, but I know what a handful you have at home _ so I'm just happy to see a new chapter and greedy for more. And yeah...I have anonymous reviews off for my own stories to keep the stupid at bay. Don't listen to people who won't even put their name behind their statements.
m00sygrl chapter 38 . 9/23/2009
Yay it's back, I was worried we'd never find out how all the intrigues end. This is one of my favourite HotU stories. Love all the characters.

Grats on the baby too.
elisadeath chapter 38 . 9/23/2009
First of all, congratulations, that is the most wonderful news!

To be honest, I already knew but I hadn't dropped you a message earlier since I thought you'd be too busy. So, my best wishes to you and your family, dear.

As for your new chapter I really enjoyed Jehk'ril's part. Every single one of your side character's is very well fleshed out and has an important part to play. Can't wait to see what's coming up next.

And now a message to Anonymous.

Dear Anonymous, who ever you are, even if you don't like a story it would be very nice if your ctitisism was a bit more constructive. Needless to say that mockery doesn't fit in the constructive side of things at all.

Since you made perfectly clear how you disagree with Valen's characterization in this story, I would also like to state my opinion.

In game Valen for a seasoned tiefling warrior, a veteran of the blood wars at that, was way too well spoken and well mannered which always struck me as an oddity, but still I thought it sort of could be explained if his years with the Seer was taken under consideration. Still, what I think was clearly out of character was his "paladinly" behaviour. Valen is a chaotic creature and after all he's been through it's only natural to be a little rougher, don't you think?

As for Jen, there's a perfect reason for her being powerfull at this point and something tells me that by the end of this story she is going to lose a lot of her powers. I like her naivete, it is a natural flaw and gives depth to her character. Besides, she is not as naive as you claim her to be. She has a pure heart and a good, compassionate nature that prevent her form being cold and ruthless even to those who deserve it. As the story unfolds, I believe that we will see many changes as she will be affected from everything that goes on around her. We'll just have to wait and see.

Thank you Mistress Elysia for sharing with us such a wonderful story!