Reviews for P is for Protection
Cutter12 chapter 1 . 3/6/2013
Only if David is really saying no because Don will want to be involved. That is the only reason that David should deny Charlie's request. But, I must confess, I'm with some other reviewers; I just can't imagine Charlie slugging it out with someone. :)
Nice short story, thanks for writing it.
Alice I chapter 1 . 9/5/2007
I just came across this.

I think that David is spot on in this little scene.

Maybe some point we can see what happened before this scene.

- What were Charlie and Don doing

- Where were they going that they found themselves in the situation where Don was fighting five guys while Charlie looked on?

That is actually the only thing I find kind of off actually. Even though Charlie is a mild man and not prone to fighting or violence there is at least one reference - no make that two references in the series that suggest that he knows at least a little bit about fighting.

The first one is the fight between them over Val Eng in the front yard.

The second is when Charlie tells Don that when they were in high school there were times when he really wanted to... then he closed his fist forming a punching motion.

Oh and I remember one other. When that kid in the 3rd grade was beating up on Charlie. Alan watched it happen and stepped out to break them up only after Charlie started fighting back.

I guess I just find it a little hard to believe that Charlie would stand back and do nothing while Don is getting the stuffing knocked out of him.

What I am trying to picture in my mind with this vignette is that Charlie was probably being held by someone and thus prevented from joining in the fray.

Anyway all of that aside, I liked this piece because it shows honesty. Charlie probably did try to help Don but was no match for the attackers yet he sees it as a failure on his part.

It shows David's wisdom. This is an aspect of the David character that I have always liked. In every season he has been the character to show solid judgment, to make the right choice and to get the job done without ever compromising his values or the rules.

Nice interplay between them.

Alice I
thebondgirl chapter 1 . 8/6/2007
aw! - funny, sweet, and angsty all rolled into one... awesome stuff! ;)

loved it! (and i gotta say, picturing the brotherly moment of don teaching charlie to fight brings a smile to my face :P)
LindaL24 chapter 1 . 8/6/2007
What a cute story.

I keep remembering one of my favorite Charlie lines..."I'm not as helpless as everybody thinks I am." So true...he's not...but in this case, maybe not so much.

We've seen Don down-right slug a couple of people over the years...but somehow...I just can't picture Charlie hitting anyone. Just doesn't seem to be in his character.

So, yeah...I'd say whoever teaches Charlie to fight, better be fast on their feet, too!

Thanks so much for posting this story. It was great! I really like David, and I think you've got him down perfect.
supergirl3684 chapter 1 . 8/6/2007
great story! Charlie wants to learn how to fight huh? Yeah, I'm so with David on this...Alan will KILL if Don (let alone David) teaches Charlie to fight! Witness protection may be needed if Don decides to go through w/it! :)
Synbou chapter 1 . 8/6/2007
David is one of my fav. character. I love the way you wrote him.