Reviews for Oedipus Ikari
John Spangler chapter 1 . 5/3
I've never liked the Rei/Shinji couple, but I liked this story. It's a real masterpiece.
onewingedangel73187 chapter 12 . 2/3
This piece was indeed a very riveting read, and I applaud you for writing it. It was short, but it was *meaningful*, it was filled with such emotion, and a take no prisoners approach to how teenagers approach sexuality. As such, it has earned a place in my favorite stories.
Sentio Infermum chapter 12 . 9/29/2014
Holy lord.

I've been reading this thing gradually over the course of a few weeks, but I swear I tore through those last few chapters in an hour. This was one of the most haunting pieces of fanfic I've had the icy pleasure of finishing, beautiful and strange and ethereal and chilling, and ugh, I want to write the way you do.

You manage to strike that delicious balance between capturing the characters we know and interpreting them in unique new ways. Let me just say, for the short time she was focused on, I loved your portrayal of Ritsuko. I felt more for her in the short duration of her presence in this fic than in the entire series. So many bonus points for that.

That last chapter was absolute perfection, by the way. The mental image of a blind Shinji panicking in the entry plug of a broken Unit-01 is so vivid and horrific I might have to draw it. XD And that last scene, where Shinji asks (Rei? His mother? Does it matter?) to stay with him until the end is one of the most gut-wrenching things I've read all year.

Bravo, my friend. Seriously.
Mark Geoffrey Norrish chapter 12 . 8/15/2014
This was great. This and OtS are the only professional-quality NGE fics I've found.
Yoholic chapter 12 . 7/25/2014
This must be the only eva fic where giant robots fighting angels pales when compared to the drama.
Yoholic chapter 6 . 7/25/2014
This story is excellent. Love the characterisation of all the children.
Raj8 chapter 12 . 6/18/2014
This is an absolutely amazing story, it gradually developed the characters and made you care a lot whenever something bad happens.

The romance was amazingly well done, I am very glad to have found this masterful story.
Keeper of Harmony chapter 12 . 4/13/2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this fic. It was just amazing. Not the kind of amazing where you'd be shouting it in excitement. More the kind of amazing where'd you be weeping at the tragic-ness. It was depressing, soul-crushing, and made me cry my eyes out more than once. Such a bittersweet story.
patrick the almighty observer chapter 12 . 1/22/2014
... what just happend, did he die? i mean this was a cool ending but i dont know what just happened.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/27/2013
I like how Ikari replaces Rex in the title. Considering how Gendo ruled over NERV, Shinji became a god, Yui could be considered the manipulative woman behind the man, and that Yui's parents were SEELE, it's kind of fitting.
Nameless chapter 12 . 3/27/2013
so it is a bad ending with gendo, rei, asuka died one after another, while shinji was fascinated with that mirage created by the angel and get the project completed? Great...
WanderingStudent chapter 12 . 2/23/2013
Uh.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

That was good. That was great. But not uplifting, enthralling, ecstatic great, but the kind of tragic, depressing great. This is a brilliantly written fic, but damn if it's not soul crushing. I thought at least that Shinji could sort-of get back to normality after the events of Chp. 11, because he and Asuka were talking somewhat - but uhhhhhhhhhhh. That's probably because I really only know Oedipus as the dude who married his mother and killed his father, but still. Probably one of the best Eva fics I've read, definately one of the best Shinji/Rei fics.

Keep up the good work. Now, I'm gonna go curl up in a ball and think.

Uhhhhhhhh.
LMTR14 chapter 2 . 5/22/2012
I'm really not too knowledgable about fanfiction (so far I've only mostly read trollfics for the lolz), but this story is striking true about my own feelings on how to handle the concept. The characters act believable, the drama is really intense and unavoidable just like in a classic Greek tragedy.

A really fantastic effort, must read for any Eva fan. After reading it I was thinking about it for days and I'm actually re-reading it now, and definitely not for the last time!
Angel of Will chapter 9 . 4/8/2012
Another thing on my mind is how much more tragic Gendo is here... because the reason he wouldn't explain things to Shinji is most likely because he just didn't want to hurt him any more than he already had. I think every neglect on Gendo's part can be traced to his fear of hurting Shinji; but obviously, this is just as much of a distorted interpretation of reality as everyone else's in Eva, and his very cowardice in raising his son is what ensured his son's depression, and lead to his own death here. It's also a shame that Shinji continued on to never learn anything about his father's motivations. Of course, this being a tragedy, that works to the desired effect. All I'm saying is THIS IS HARSH, MAN; heck even in the original series, there wasn't ever any closure for Shinji and his father, and it was sad enough. Also, despite everyone's tragic ends, I found most of the characters received moments of redemption and were able to show the beauty of their character in that suffering. But Gendo even drew the short straw in that regard; his image was tarnished leading up to his sudden death, and his true motivations died with him. So sad... ;
Angel of Will chapter 12 . 4/8/2012
This fic obliterated me... And so, I must applaud you for a good job. I was never fond of Shinji and Rei's relatioship (here), probably because I knew that it wasn't the kind of thing that was going to bring a permanent solution to their problems- and that it would only accentuate the pain when everything inevitably came crashing down- which I knew they would, and not because of the source inspiration for the story. Shinji was just running away this whole time; and Rei was complicit in making him forget that he was doing that, as whatever chances he had of coming to terms with and mending any of his life's faults flew further and further away with every chapter. Of course, Rei didn't mean to do that. She was as desperate as he was; so she couldn't come to see what was happening to them in an objective light.

Anyway, what really got to me wasn't really the unraveling of their relationship, but just the injuries that came down on all of the characters as a result of the events (especially Asuka for a majority of the story). It's funny to think this about a fan fiction, but the phrase comes to mind that, 'Things just shouldn't have been this way; they don't deserve to have gotten into the hole that they did.' It's the mark of a well-written tragedy. Even though, for my current moody sake, too well-written -_-...

Heheh. I thought NGE was twisted and depressing; but you just blew that away. Oedipus Ikari now takes the place as Evangelion's Worst Case Scenario in my mind.

An afterthought though: after contemplating things a bit, I realized that Gendo in the end, during Shinji's last vision, was really the Angel using his image. He said 'Adam'. This leads me to believe that since he was one with Shinji now, he had to put Shinji at peace or else he himself would be tormented. So either he used his power to summon Rei's soul to Shinji for one last time, or he used Shinji's memory to give him one simple final vision.

The only open end that remains is what happened after. It's clear that Shinji's dead, but the circumstances aren't. Thematically, it would make sense that the end marked the Third Impact and everything just evaporated. That's the only thing that comes to mind at first. But the Lilith Giant ISN'T Adam- the true body of Adam was then with Fuyutsuki. I was expecting him to attempt using those powers as a last resort against the invading Angel. But I also figured that while against a regular angel, Adam's power would be sufficient to annihilate it, against an angel who's merged with a complete Unit-01 (Lilith's body and S2 Organ), it wouldn't hold. So either any attempt by Fuyutsuki to stop the angel failed or didn't take place, and the Angel simply merged with Lilith and caused Third Impact, or Fuyutsuki somehow managed to stop it- and the end marks Shinji's death along with the Angel. The Angel's last words, "Adam..." could have either been him reminding himself of his goal after taking care of Shinji, or a reference to the Adam on Fuyutsuki's hand. But like I said, it makes more sense for you to end a tragedy like this with Third Impact, so I lean on that.

I also should say that other Eva fanfics I've looked at so far come across as juvenile and amateurish. I just can't get into them because of that. But when I read this and Orchestrating the Silence, it was a seamless read (OtS slightly more-so than this)- no difference in reception on my part than when I'm watching the actual series or reading the manga. You really were able to get the characters right in their motivations and actions, as well as how to carry that across in the narrative.

Now for the two nearly unimportant criticisms; the only things in OI that nagged at me slightly were, firstly, Fuyutsuki stating that Instrumentality was what Yui wanted. It was established in the series, at least that Yui and Fuyutsuki were planning rebellion against Seele. As things went on into the end, it looks like Yui's goal (which Fuyutsuki was completely in on), was to help Shinji put a halt to Instrumentality- get it so that the Evangelion her and her son were piloting would be the centre of Seele's ritual, and use the power of that position to dismantle it. While Fuyutsuki knew about that plan, Gendo didn't, (probably for fear that the truth would be given away should Seele suspect too much). That's why Gendo was so guilty- he thought he had killed Yui; and that's why he felt obliged to bring her back.

The second thing was just Rei coming across as more sentimental than I would have expected her too in a couple scenes in the end, but then I figured it was believable, since at that point, her hidden feelings had come out, and she was broken, at that. So no big problem there; maybe for it to have gone unnoticed, there could have been some additional description of her state, or setting up of her emotional breakdown.