Reviews for Oedipus Ikari
Octo8 chapter 12 . 7/21
Well. That was... quite a ride.

You're most certainly right that all too few S/R fics feature that problematic aspect of the relationship. But that doesn't necessarily mean people are running away from the creepiness. They may simply have different definitions of creepy ;) Genetically, Rei would be something like Shinji's half-sister, with some of her genetic material coming from Yui, but some of it also clearly angelic. But the thing is, there is no reason for Shinji and Rei to view each other as siblings. There never was a chance for the Westermarck Effect to go into, err, effect. So it are just two people who *happen to be* genetically related. I'd find it creepy if they had been real family, instead of just genetic related. Something like Sword Art Online (if you had the misfortune of watching that), where the siblings may not be siblings by blood but grew up as such - yeah that is what I would find creepy.

Of course, you still managed to have a lot of creep enter the fic. Shinji's mental associations... and then the scene at the end. It seems clear to me he's talking to Yui (being in EVA-01 and all), but he talks as if he were talking with Rei... So yes, if you were going for creep, you have it there.

And of course, it's good that this topic is in fact brought up by a fic. And in what a way! Your writing, especially in the later chapters, is magnificent. The characters were pretty fleshed out, you didn't drop Asuka or Misato (or demonize "the other girl" as many fics do), and the path to a relationship between Shinji and Rei was believable. And then there is a certain... aesthetic to the later chapters, as everything comes crumbling down and Shinji and Asuka are too broken to even still argue. The beauty of despair. And then it seems Shinji is finally getting over his self-imposed issues, and hell, even Asuka is cheering him on, even *after* Shinji explains the background to her... and we could have a turn to the right here, in a "lover conquers all "fashion...

...but of course when you cross Greek tragedy and NGE that just can't happen. And it could have been avoided. If Shinji had just come a bit earlier... come over himself a bit earlier... but well. I suppose that's Greek tragedy in a nutshell. And of course, following the source material. Still arghhhhhhllll...

But I must say, you don't see a story very often where an Angel actually breaks through. In most fics they are just plot devices; it is taken for granted that they will be defeated. So, having it all end with one of them breaking through is kinda original. Then again, so is Commander Fuyutsuki. *sighs* An EoE scenario with him would also have been interesting. And could have allowed for a happy end. But noooo... ;)

Overall, sterling work! The story, especially with its tragic end, had really affected me for a while after reading it.
sozsirk chapter 12 . 4/21
It was one of the best fanfic I ever readed. It really do it's job to show us Shinji and Reis relationship, but don't fall to happy go luck scheme, and still has this dark Ewangelion vibe. Excellent work.
Velshard chapter 12 . 12/3/2015
Well that sucked.

But it was really well written so kudos to you for the excellent story telling.
John Spangler chapter 1 . 5/3/2015
I've never liked the Rei/Shinji couple, but I liked this story. It's a real masterpiece.
Kobayashi Riku chapter 12 . 2/3/2015
This piece was indeed a very riveting read, and I applaud you for writing it. It was short, but it was *meaningful*, it was filled with such emotion, and a take no prisoners approach to how teenagers approach sexuality. As such, it has earned a place in my favorite stories.
Sentio Infermum chapter 12 . 9/29/2014
Holy lord.

I've been reading this thing gradually over the course of a few weeks, but I swear I tore through those last few chapters in an hour. This was one of the most haunting pieces of fanfic I've had the icy pleasure of finishing, beautiful and strange and ethereal and chilling, and ugh, I want to write the way you do.

You manage to strike that delicious balance between capturing the characters we know and interpreting them in unique new ways. Let me just say, for the short time she was focused on, I loved your portrayal of Ritsuko. I felt more for her in the short duration of her presence in this fic than in the entire series. So many bonus points for that.

That last chapter was absolute perfection, by the way. The mental image of a blind Shinji panicking in the entry plug of a broken Unit-01 is so vivid and horrific I might have to draw it. XD And that last scene, where Shinji asks (Rei? His mother? Does it matter?) to stay with him until the end is one of the most gut-wrenching things I've read all year.

Bravo, my friend. Seriously.
Mark Geoffrey Norrish chapter 12 . 8/15/2014
This was great. This and OtS are the only professional-quality NGE fics I've found.
Yoholic chapter 12 . 7/25/2014
This must be the only eva fic where giant robots fighting angels pales when compared to the drama.
Yoholic chapter 6 . 7/25/2014
This story is excellent. Love the characterisation of all the children.
Raj8 chapter 12 . 6/18/2014
This is an absolutely amazing story, it gradually developed the characters and made you care a lot whenever something bad happens.

The romance was amazingly well done, I am very glad to have found this masterful story.
Keeper of Harmony chapter 12 . 4/13/2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this fic. It was just amazing. Not the kind of amazing where you'd be shouting it in excitement. More the kind of amazing where'd you be weeping at the tragic-ness. It was depressing, soul-crushing, and made me cry my eyes out more than once. Such a bittersweet story.
Patrick the observer chapter 12 . 1/22/2014
... what just happend, did he die? i mean this was a cool ending but i dont know what just happened.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/27/2013
I like how Ikari replaces Rex in the title. Considering how Gendo ruled over NERV, Shinji became a god, Yui could be considered the manipulative woman behind the man, and that Yui's parents were SEELE, it's kind of fitting.
Nameless chapter 12 . 3/27/2013
so it is a bad ending with gendo, rei, asuka died one after another, while shinji was fascinated with that mirage created by the angel and get the project completed? Great...
WanderingStudent chapter 12 . 2/23/2013
Uh.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

That was good. That was great. But not uplifting, enthralling, ecstatic great, but the kind of tragic, depressing great. This is a brilliantly written fic, but damn if it's not soul crushing. I thought at least that Shinji could sort-of get back to normality after the events of Chp. 11, because he and Asuka were talking somewhat - but uhhhhhhhhhhh. That's probably because I really only know Oedipus as the dude who married his mother and killed his father, but still. Probably one of the best Eva fics I've read, definately one of the best Shinji/Rei fics.

Keep up the good work. Now, I'm gonna go curl up in a ball and think.

Uhhhhhhhh.