Reviews for A Piece of Mercy
kokihi chapter 1 . 4/13/2014
Well written. I like that you didn't tell us what was going on until Jayne found out himself. I also like how you explored Jayne and Kaylee's characters, letting them act in a way that's believable, but they wouldn't normally do. I think Simon, Mal, Zoe and Inara could have used a little more fleshing out, but being a short Jayne/Kaylee piece, it's not a major issue for me. Overall, I really liked it. Good job!
CutieSOS chapter 1 . 3/14/2013
this was really good
mudpuddledemon chapter 1 . 9/13/2012
Nice. I liked the mystery, being right in Jayne's head wondering along with him. It's a good solid premise too.
RionaEire chapter 1 . 4/28/2009
That's heavy. I quite frankly don't blame Simon for being pissed royal, that baby is half his after all. It was interesting how you didn't tell us what happened until the end, kept me wondering and reading to see what horrible thing had happened to get Simon so angry.

Riona
BlueEyedBrigadier chapter 1 . 11/19/2007
Well now, gotta say this takes the BDHs into new territory...bad and good. Bad, in that we see Mal, Simon and (to a different extent) Inara acting in ways that initially smack of being out-of-character...but really represent deeper aspects of their personality that were either seldom or never revealed through the series or movie. Good, in that Kaylee gets to be more than a personification of optimism and joie de vivre, and Jayne is allowed to step up to the plate in comparison to his male crewmates.

I honestly don't know whether to praise you for your efforts in digging deeper into Jayne and Kaylee's personalities...or criticize the seeming lack of dimensionality to Mal and Simon's (and Inara, but to a lesser extent) characters that appears here. I guess what I am trying to say is that I personally feel like there's a whole whack load of material that is missing that helps to give reason and rhyme (even character-accurate logically piss-poor reason and rhyme) to Kaylee aborting the foetus without presumably giving Simon a head's up, Simon going berserk and dragging River off Serenity, and Mal getting as pissed off at Kaylee as he seemingly did.

There is something mighty intriguing here, danniisupernova...but part of me wonders if your Jaylee shipping preference caused a loss of credibility in developing a nuanced scenario where Kaylee and Simon split and the latter leaves Serenity with River. Putting aside the arguments over the issue of birth control that could arise, I do have to note that the idea Kaylee would simply abort a foetus because she knew she didn't want a serious relationship with Simon is hard to swallow. At least for me, that is. Maybe a sequel or two to explore the situation and its aftermath more?

BEB
CalmintheChaos chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
I just want to say how much I enjoyed your piece! I like to see Kaylee a little more 3D like you said, and like she said, not like a drawing. I'm hoping for another chapter, with some more of that wonderful Jaylee-ness. I believe all of the characters actions and reactions, although Inara seemed very haughty for a moment, with the spit in the face. Everyone is perfect, and I hope to read more soon!
angeloneous chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
Wow! That isn't a oneshot I hope! Very emotional & powerful. Great job!